Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport People

• 10-01-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I was in Westport a few years back and stayed in a B&B and was wondering does anyone know it? I was coming from Dublin and it was on the Road as we came into Westport. From what I can remember it was painted a pink color(Not sure) but there was loads of flowers outside it.....any ideas?? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pink it should stand out - roughly where on the road do you remember?? Right or left, was it at the top of the hill near a filling station or anything??
    I will be headin in that road tonight and can keep an eye for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Few years ago.....all I can remember is that as I was coming into the town it was on the right....it stands out alright.....there was flowers all over the front of it.....I parked up the road a bit and I think it mite have been the Garda station but that could be wrong......after you came out of it and went into the town you came to a bridge!!

Apart from that I cant remember much....was on the piss for rest of weekend then:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I know it. It's beside the Castlecourt Hotel. I pass by it every day but damned if I know what it's called. If I think of it this evening I'll have a look to see what name is over the door.

I know it. It's beside the Castlecourt Hotel. I pass by it every day but damned if I know what it's called. If I think of it this evening I'll have a look to see what name is over the door.

Yeah thats the one! if you could that would be great! it was a class place to stay!! going back down at end of month so going to try and book there!! :D if there is a number as well that would be great! thanks again

Remembered! It's called Clooneen House. Phone number is 098 25361. There's a huge extension job going on at the Castlecourt at the minute. Dunno if it will affect you (noise wise) but just so you're aware.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! will look it up now! noise shouldnt be a prob!!

Will be checking out the local pub life during the day! :D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Will be checking out the local pub life during the day! :D

No better kind of local life to be checking out!!! Enjoy the local hostelries and hospitality!!

No better kind of local life to be checking out!!! Enjoy the local hostelries and hospitality!!

I will....had a great time the last time so looking forward to it already!! great part of Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Ahhhh Westport, lived there for 7 years, helluva town, I hear you's bhoys have like 5 swimming pools and a Cinema now. Thats a huge leap from when I was there. I used to live on Kings Hill. McGreevys only had a corner shop at the time, now I'm in College in Castlebar and they have a new world of wonder opened here. Is there much business in Westport now? as in jobs?, I wouldn't mind going back there for a while

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is the one alright, bit of unwanted history!! that is was where the Castlecourt started out, in that B&B, look at the size of it now when you are walking down the town, the own the whole street! Still has not changed the owners, they get stuck into the bar work and at weddings both of them come out to serve you at the top table.

Fk all work in Westport from what I can see, but buy the MayoNews for anything going there

• Advertisement

Is there much business in Westport now? as in jobs?, I wouldn't mind going back there for a while

I suppose it depends on what you do although as Yop said, I wouldn't say there's a whole pile. Castlebar really is the spot. Retailers in Westport say they had their worst Christmas (just past) trading period in many a long year. Keep an eye on the local rags - sure if nothin else you can look at the photos of recent weddings and debs and the likes!!!!

2nd or 3rd cousin of mine is working in the Castlecourt Hotel....think he is a chef or something.....havent seen him since school so not really up to date! :D

Last time I was down was in middle of summer and seem to be alot of tourist(suppose I would be classed as that as well) around the town......pubs where all jammed and it was so hot everyone was just sitting on the street!! great crack thou!

40 euro per person per nite in Cloneen house....is that the usually around that area for B&B...think I paid less the last time but inflation and so on!! hotel is like 250 for 2 nites(f**k off :D )

Cheers!

Fk that is high!! I reckon u could get a hotel room for the same rate!

yop wrote:
    Fk that is high!! I reckon u could get a hotel room for the same rate!

Yeah but wat hotel? not sure of the area!

Yeah, that seems a bit steep for a b&b alright.
    Try these hotels:

Ardmore Country House Hotel
    The Quays Westport
    (098) 25994

Atlantic Coast Hotel & Leisure Centre Westport
    The Quay Westport Co Mayo
    (098) 29000

Clew Bay Hotel
    James st, Westport
    (098) 28088
    Like the Castlecourt - beware of big extension job going on

Olde Railway Hotel
    The Mall Westport
    (098) 25166

T F Royal Hotel & Theatre
    The Old Westport rd, Castlebar
    (094) 9023111
    obviously not in Westport but always loads of great entertainment and only a 10 minute spin to/from Westport. Check out www.tfroyaltheatre.com and www.tfroyalhotel.com

Westport Inn
    W.I.T.S. Mill st, Westport Mayo
    (098) 29200
    Very central but not sure what it's like

Wyatt Hotel
    The Octagon Westport
    (098) 25027
    Just about as central as you'll get and if the bar and reception area is anything to go by, it should be quite comfortable.

There's the Knockranny House Hotel and Hotel Westport too but I'd imagine they would be pricey.

If I were in your shoes, I'd tell a hotel that I'd been quoted €xx in another hotel down the road and can they beat the price - this time of year I'd say most of the hotels (smaller ones anyway) would be damn glad of the trade. When you're closer to going down, gimme a shout and I'll give you the heads up on pubs and restaurants.

Richie

Cheers Mate! (me picks up phone and starts a ringing!!) :D

Richie you forgot the Castlecourt, or the Cattle court as we used to lovinly call it when we were a courting there !! (As me and the girlies, not me and Richie)

yop wrote:
    Richie you forgot the Castlecourt, or the Cattle court as we used to lovinly call it when we were a courting there !! (As me and the girlies, not me and Richie)

I'm glad you clarified that situation Yop lol!!!

I suppose it depends on what you do although as Yop said, I wouldn't say there's a whole pile. Castlebar really is the spot. Retailers in Westport say they had their worst Christmas (just past) trading period in many a long year. Keep an eye on the local rags - sure if nothin else you can look at the photos of recent weddings and debs and the likes!!!!

I don't really like Castlebar...its kinda depressing

• Advertisement

I don't really like Castlebar...its kinda depressing

Not at all. It could be worse, I could have said try Kiltimagh (no offence meant to any Louis Walsh townspeople!!!)

lol Yeah you have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Boards night in Westport at some stage?

Yoda wrote:
    Boards night in Westport at some stage?

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Whoops... after Lent perhaps. (Yeah, I know, I'm a Buddhist, but Lent is a good excuse to stay off the sauce for a while!)

Thanks for all the info lads.....ended up going down weekend of the 28th of Jan.....great weekend.....didnt go out Friday but went on batter Saturday!! was in some pub beside the Harbour Mill...stone building.....then went to restaurant beside Xtra Vision....Italian....lovely!!

Ended up in some other pub then with a glass centre where you could smoke......then Oscars.....sorry but useless with names....can only remember Oscars because couldnt get that bloody stamp they put on your hand off for days!!!

Sunday night just went to this red pub with a restaurant upstairs....again nice food.....pub was very quiet thou.....class place for a weekend!! :D

Advertisement