Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl taking over...

• 17-09-2004 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed Lidl taking over the world lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

well aldi is trying to beat them. Lidl in finglas has competition from an Aldi opening right next door :D
    They will never beat the likes of tesco, they are too small but they will beat smaller retailers like centra and mace and londis etc. At best they will take some business from the big boys but most shopping will still be done at big supermarkets. Great for cheap alcohol but dunnes is better i think.

oh yeah i think lidl and aldi were one and then the 2 brothers split up and went their seperate ways and one opened a new chain... not sure which one etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Saruman wrote:
    oh yeah i think lidl and aldi were one and then the 2 brothers split up and went their seperate ways and one opened a new chain... not sure which one etc.

That was Aldi. The Albrecht brothers formed Aldi Sud (South) and Aldi Nord (North)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

It's all part of the master plan !!. Sell them our cars, then our food and then our way of life.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

'Ich bin ein Berliner!'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

bus77 wrote:
    'Ich bin ein Berliner!'? :confused:

Yes I love donuts too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Verdammt wrote:
    It's all part of the master plan !!. Sell them our cars, then our food and then our way of life.....
    Ohne mich!

Verdammt wrote:
    Yes I love donuts too
    that donut thing is just a vicious rumour started by tesco.

you been fooled buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Expect 500-1000 Aldi and Lidl stores with 10-15 years.

Reckon they have a formula, based on demographics. They must have a minimum population of, say, 15000 in order to attract their market. For someone on benefits or a pension,they are a godsend. Do we really have that many places suitable for them, do we have that many towns of that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Join me in song kameraden:

Ich bin auslander und spreche nicht gut Deutsch...

Achtung, achtung, for you the var is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saruman wrote:
    well aldi is trying to beat them. Lidl in finglas has competition from an Aldi opening right next door :D
    They will never beat the likes of tesco, they are too small but they will beat smaller retailers like centra and mace and londis etc. At best they will take some business from the big boys but most shopping will still be done at big supermarkets. Great for cheap alcohol but dunnes is better i think.
    Lidl and Aldi will take a huge chunk out of Dunnes and Tesco's market eventually. They're aimed at the lower end of the market - Students, people on the dole, young broke professionals - these groups would ordinarily shop in the relatively cheap Dunnes and Tesco.

The likes of Spar, Centra, and to a lesser extent Superquinn won't notice such a big difference because their prices are that bit higher which already discourages the demographic that Aldi and Lidl aim for.

But make no mistake, they will take over.

Reckon they have a formula, based on demographics. They must have a minimum population of, say, 15000 in order to attract their market. For someone on benefits or a pension,they are a godsend. Do we really have that many places suitable for them, do we have that many towns of that size?
    They could put 4 stores in Tallaght alone and make a killing.

Not so sure about their just aiming at an exclusively down-market sector,as both offer some stuff that attract reviews in the middle-class press.Wine and the value they offer on stuff like cleaning and boring household stuff. Then there are the special offers, from which I have bought a lot of bargains. This pc for a start, which I couln't have possibly built myself for the price.

Not so sure about their just aiming at an exclusively down-market sector,as both offer some stuff that attract reviews in the middle-class press.Wine and the value they offer on stuff like cleaning and boring household stuff. Then there are the special offers, from which I have bought a lot of bargains. This pc for a start, which I couln't have possibly built myself for the price.
    Bugger just lost cunningly crafted response through stupidity. I'm aware that my brother, who has 3 kids, find weekly shop costs about 40% less on staples which are commodities, like rice, pasta, spuds , rashers and so on. But it is still interesting comparing their prices here against other € markets. Plus one of them had a laptop for about €1500 lately. As it must be bought cash, are we still so sure about their being downmarket, rather than value for money, limited range alternative to being ripped- off?

Not suggesting anything about Tallaght, because I was typing my last response before seeing Tallaght.And why shouldn't middle class people care about value? And decent German beer at sensible prices. And once attracted by the prices or

Not suggesting anything about Tallaght, because I was typing my last response before seeing Tallaght.And why shouldn't middle class people care about value? And decent German beer at sensible prices. And once attracted by the prices or
    Heh, of course they should care. Tbh, I've never been in Lidl or Aldi, but I envision the stacks of huge boxes of dirt cheap own-brand stuff. I prefer quality, but maybe they sell branded stuff, I don't know.

Chek them out. If their own brands are good enough for German consumers, possibily the most finicky in the world, they're good enough for me. For instance, their jams have more fruit and less chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

bus77 wrote:
    that donut thing is just a vicious rumour started by tesco.

you been fooled buddy!

:rolleyes:

some people... eh...

A berliner is a donut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I dont know why people think just cause they have low prices that the goods are of a low standard? Most of htier products are of a higher standard than the goods we get here imho. As stated above their jams are top class. Some of the items taste "different" such as beans pasta shells in sauce etc. Most of the meat products have a higher meat percentage than the same irish made good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah. I'm more worried about the Centra/Spar take-over.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

some people... eh...

A berliner is a donut.

And Dubliner is a brand of cheese over here.
    The people cheered, they didnt laugh. The man did not say "I am a jelly dounut" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mayor Quimby: "Ich bin ein Springfielder."
    Homer: "Mmmmm. Jelly Donuts."

I assumed since it was cheap it was all superprocessed crap.

I'll check it out when go in on Thursday to get cheap kitchenware ;)

bus77 wrote:
    And Dubliner is a brand of cheese over here.
    The people cheered, they didnt laugh. The man did not say "I am a jelly dounut" :rolleyes:

and if cheese was known as dubliner and someone said 'I am a Dubliner', that would be funny... but unfortunately dubliner doesnt mean cheese... very bad example you tried to construct there... :rolleyes: shocking...

Dont make me take out my German stick and beat you with it.... ;)

Direct translation what he said was "I am a donut/piece of german confectionery"

If he wanted to say 'I am a Berliner', he should have said 'Ich Komme aus Berlin', as it would be said...

What he said made sense in english, but could be construed to be something else in german.

What he said was incorrect in the way he meant it, even though the people understood what he said...

If he wanted to say 'I am a Berliner', he should have said 'Ich Komme aus Berlin', as it would be said...
    'Ich Komme aus Berlin' would be "I come from Berlin' which would have sounded ridiculous in context.

What he said was perfect for what he was trying to say and is closer to "I am one with the people of Berlin"
    and if cheese was known as dubliner and someone said 'I am a Dubliner', that would be funny... but unfortunately dubliner doesnt mean cheese... very bad example you tried to construct there... :rolleyes: shocking...
    Damn it! I knew I should have went with the New Yorker one ;)

bus77 wrote:
    'Ich Komme aus Berlin' would be "I come from Berlin' which would have sounded ridiculous in context.

In the context of what he was wanting to say 'I am a Berliner' is perfect, meaning that he is one of the people etc... Its just the crazy Germans and their language etc... Direct translations do not always mean the same thing in the language from which you translate it from...

e.g. If you want to say in German 'I am cold' you would think that you would say 'Ich bin kalt'... this actually means that you are gay...

you would say 'Mir ist kalt'... 'cold is on me'... 'one is cold'...

as i say.. crazy germans...
    bus77 wrote:
    What he said was perfect for what he was trying to say and is closer to "I am one with the people of Berlin"

I hear ya... just out of context.. thats all..

bus77 wrote:
    Damn it! I knew I should have went with the New Yorker one ;)

were's my stick.... :p

Anyway thats enough off-topic ramblings...

Aldi and Lidl need to open more stores... more competition for tesco, dunnes etc.. and no doubt lidl and aldi will start to make an effect on their market share.. Aldi and Lidl have good products. Some of the stuff isnt great/suited to the irish taste buds, but in general the stuff is of good quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the meat products have a higher meat percentage than the same irish made good.
    LOL. "Cheese food" from Tesco does scare me though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lidl & Aldis are absolutely fantastic. They sell quality stuff. The brand is something you do not recognise therefore most folk seem to dismiss the quality. They also have very good weekly deals. They are a good example of getting value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I like Lidl! It's good to see places selling things cheap, it might encourage some of the other places to cheapen it up a bit. And they sell different stuff to the usual things in SuperValu or whatever. They've got a great multivitamin fruit drink which is actually not so filled with sugar and sweeteners that it would make your teeth itch.

Wonders of the world!

• Advertisement

Went into Aldi last night. Sorry guys, but it's a dump. I was right with my original analysis.

Some good weekly offers though, which is why I went in. I keep an eye on them (cos they come in the door).

To give an example of the clientele, a young guy with a filthy 'tache, scrawny, and that stuck-to-your-head hair was in front of me in the queue, 6 pack of some unnamed beer.
    He turns to me and says "Sorry bud, d'you wha the date is?"
    "24th" I tell him.
    He nods and turns away, but turns back two seconds later.
    "Wha month?"

As Aldi themselves say - "Aldi brand quality is cheaper!"
    To say this another way - "Aldi brands are cheaper quality"

Advertisement