Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

speaking of plot holes.

• 09-08-2004 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

anyone ever notice in the voyager episode "collective"
    (Click here for episode description)

remember the baby that they rescued from the sphere becuase his chamber was malfunctioning. towards the end of the episode they beam the baby to voyager.
    the doctor valiantly saves the baby borg.

then the baby just disappears. no further refernce to the baby in that episode and hasnt been in any since then. (tho the 4 kids remain characters for several more episodes)

biggest damn plot hole ive seen in ST. anyone got anyothers (not timeline ones, some fancy arguing will get script writers out of those conundrums)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

why is it a plot hole ? the fact that they didnt mention a baby again isnt such a big deal they used to do it all the time in tng kids would apear one day and be lost in a black hole the next you cant do many storys with young babys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

anyone got anyothers (not timeline ones, some fancy arguing will get script writers out of those conundrums)

Here's one of my favorites.....

In the 2-part Voyager episode "Dark Frontier", where we get the whole back story on Seven's parents, at the start of the flashback we see little Annika happily playing in her father's office with.... a very detailed replica of a Borg cube!!

Now, seeing as this episode takes place years before Q introduces the Enterprise-D's crew to the Borg (confirmed later in the episode when her father makes a log entry), where did she/he get it then? Even if we assume that Starfleet immediately classified the information, I'm sure it would have been available to the Captain of the Federation's flagship???

Ya well the berman and co never really gave a **** about the star trek timeline sevens family set out to find the borg something like 10 years before the federation even knew there WAS a race called the borg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

bizmark yer sig is huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Amz wrote:
    Thats not a plot hole

• Advertisement

Thats not a plot hole

Ah you got me!
    Well spotted...

Mybe he is using his oversized sig to fill the plotholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

bizmark wrote:
    why is it a plot hole ? the fact that they didnt mention a baby again isnt such a big deal they used to do it all the time in tng kids would apear one day and be lost in a black hole the next you cant do many storys with young babys :)

I wish they made Naomi Wildeman disappear like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bizmark wrote:
    Ya well the berman and co never really gave a **** about the star trek timeline sevens family set out to find the borg something like 10 years before the federation even knew there WAS a race called the borg :rolleyes:
    I thought they had covered that?

These guys were pretty much the experts on the borg, yet the federation didn't listen to them, and even they themselves weren't exactly sure of what the Borg were. Once they started any serious study, they were well out of federation space and in contact with no-one. I thought they had made it quite clear that when she was assimilated, the Borg were a myth, known about by few, and taken seriously by even fewer.

Amz wrote:

But with in siggy rules ;) i could tone it down though tis a tad large

Ya but the walking libery data of all people would know of the borg even if its just a myth and he would have a drawing/picture/idea of what there ships look like in his memory seeming sevens family had such a detailed model ...or at lest i think so anyway

• Advertisement

Thanks hon'
    :D

Amz wrote:
    Thanks hon'
    :D

Np prob babe :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    [/b]
    Here's one of my favorites.....

In the 2-part Voyager episode "Dark Frontier", where we get the whole back story on Seven's parents, at the start of the flashback we see little Annika happily playing in her father's office with.... a very detailed replica of a Borg cube!!

Now, seeing as this episode takes place years before Q introduces the Enterprise-D's crew to the Borg (confirmed later in the episode when her father makes a log entry), where did she/he get it then? Even if we assume that Starfleet immediately classified the information, I'm sure it would have been available to the Captain of the Federation's flagship???

I always assumed the reason for the borg being classafied is the same as the reason for 8472 being classfied. I bet piccard dosent know about 8472

seamus wrote:

These guys were pretty much the experts on the borg, yet the federation didn't listen to them, and even they themselves weren't exactly sure of what the Borg were. Once they started any serious study, they were well out of federation space and in contact with no-one. I thought they had made it quite clear that when she was assimilated, the Borg were a myth, known about by few, and taken seriously by even fewer.

Yes that also makes sence because in that episode Sevens Father said "im beginnign to think the borg are nothing more than roumer and sensor ghost"

Quote:
    I always assumed the reason for the borg being classafied is the same as the reason for 8472 being classfied. I bet piccard dosent know about 8472

Ya makes perfect sence for the captian of the flagship the most powerful ship in the fleet to have no idea about S 8472...i mean why would he all goverments keep there militry in the dark about threats :rolleyes:

bizmark wrote:
    But with in siggy rules

Eh, no it wasnt, your only allowed 6 text lines, wether you put txt in them or press space youve used a line, so it was the way you seperated your sig that made it huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

bizmark wrote:
    i mean why would he all goverments keep there militry in the dark about threats

well jean luc would be the first to say that the enterprise is not a military ship.
    but i dont see a problem with sevens parents tracking the borg. as was said previously there was no contact between them and the fedaration, they were in the delta quadrant as well.

im still sticking by my opinion that the missing baby is a plot hole, by virtue of the fact that the other 4 were kept on.

bizmark wrote:
    Ya makes perfect sence for the captian of the flagship the most powerful ship in the fleet to have no idea about S 8472...i mean why would he all goverments keep there militry in the dark about threats :rolleyes:

Hmm bad example, mabe piccard knows but it wouldent be comon knowalage
    Thetre is actual evidence of 8472 existing when the hansons went looking for tyhe borg they where just roumer (from the el orians) and other spicies.

as a matter of facgt that makes perfect sence the federation DID know of the borg LONG before the enterprise encounterd that cube by Q

Justice wrote:
    well jean luc would be the first to say that the enterprise is not a military ship.
    but i dont see a problem with sevens parents tracking the borg. as was said previously there was no contact between them and the fedaration, they were in the delta quadrant as well.

im still sticking by my opinion that the missing baby is a plot hole, by virtue of the fact that the other 4 were kept on.

Picard can say what he wants about the enterprise but at the end of the day its a warship starfleet doubles as the militry when the **** hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not totally sure but I think there was a "blink and you'll miss it" moment where Janeway mentions that they encountered members of the baby's species and handed it over to them.

as a matter of facgt that makes perfect sence the federation DID know of the borg LONG before the enterprise encounterd that cube by Q

It does make sense your right as far back as the Enterprise-B's time starfleet should of had some idea about the borg (see St :Generations) . But i still find it crazy just because starfleet didn’t believe the rumors no one not even data knew about the Borg no info must of even being available in the computer of the ship either madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

Stark wrote:
    Not totally sure but I think there was a "blink and you'll miss it" moment where Janeway mentions that they encountered members of the baby's species and handed it over to them.
    ive rewatched that episode, there is no further ref to the baby after its shown in the doctors arms.

i take ur point bizmark,
    i still feel their is enuf wiggle room relating to the borg that the writters could legitimately argue their way out of it.

but if these are the only holes we can come up with then the writers have to be commended.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

If it's plot holes, inconsistencies, anachronisms,contradictions etc ye want,the place to go are Phil Farrands Star Trek Nitpickers Guides. He has more than you can shake a stick at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

There is a major plothole when Chekov goes down to the planet in Wrath of Khan and has a bit of a fit when he realises the man himself is there. And then when they meet (before the worm-ear bit..ugh) where Khan says, "Pavel Chekov, I never forget a face!" But if you watch the episode in the original series where they first meet Khan, Chekov wasn't part of the crew...so he couldn't have remembered him at all...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^ Wasn't part of the bridge crew. Coulda met him below decks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Though not strictly a plot hole; in that Voyager episode where Seven thinks there's a conspiracy involved in Voyager being in the Delta Quadrant they never explained the presence of the two tricobalt devices on board the ship that was used to destroy the Caretaker's array. Seven did say they're not standard issue on a Federation ship. Personally I thought that episode should have left a few more things a bit more open ended instead of pinning it all on Seven going mental as that would have been a whole lot more interesting.

The biggest plothole I can think of is where Scotty comes on board the Enterprise D and is unaware of Kirk's death only to be onboard the Enterprise B when he's sucked into the nexus in ST Generations.

Could the maquis not have had the tricobalt? They'd be fond of blowing things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Slice wrote: »
    Though not strictly a plot hole; in that Voyager episode where Seven thinks there's a conspiracy involved in Voyager being in the Delta Quadrant they never explained the presence of the two tricobalt devices on board the ship that was used to destroy the Caretaker's array. Seven did say they're not standard issue on a Federation ship. Personally I thought that episode should have left a few more things a bit more open ended instead of pinning it all on Seven going mental as that would have been a whole lot more interesting.

The biggest plothole I can think of is where Scotty comes on board the Enterprise D and is unaware of Kirk's death only to be onboard the Enterprise B when he's sucked into the nexus in ST Generations.

Wasnt the timliens restored at the end of that story ? As in the rift never happened, ergo kirk is still alive?

no, he died on nurranda III but if you want to find out what happened to kirk william shatner wrote 6 books, the first of which takes place moments after the end of generations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

In Star Trek Insurection. Geordis body begins to reject the VISOR, and he grows new eyes. All down to the strange X rays in Briar Patch. Yet Jean Luc dosent keel over and die as his body grows a new heart and rejects his artificail one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

starn wrote: »
    In Star Trek Insurection. Geordis body begins to reject the VISOR, and he grows new eyes. All down to the strange X rays in Briar Patch. Yet Jean Luc dosent keel over and die as his body grows a new heart and rejects his artificail one.

Dats so funny:D and also why didn't he have a big bushy head of hair at the end of the movie

Advertisement