Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From Dublin to Mayo

• 09-08-2004 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am feeling very tired of the rat-race. The traffic. The rent. The increasingly depressing house prices, which started to be depressing years ago. So I've been thinking of leaving all of this, leaving Dublin, and going for a better quality of life.

I've thought about options, and figured that I want to be near the sea, and at least sort of near a rail terminus. The one place which seems to suit aesthetics and location seems to be the area between Westport and Newport, and possibly over along the coast to Mulvaney or Achill.

What would this be like? Obviously I'm going to have to pay some visits to the area to scope it out properly, and soon, too. But since this is the West forum, I thought I'd ask some questions. What's it like living in the West? Bord Gáis doesn't pipe out here, but is canister gas cooking known and convenient – or is the only choice an electric range or an Aga? Are services in general improving? Is there an optimism about such things in Mayo? Are the roads cared for?

Maybe that's enough questions to start.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You're right about one thing - you'll have to come out and have a look around. Ideally stay a while in a couple of the places you've mentioned and get a feel for the locality.

Some specific answers to your questions: living in the west is wonderful, if it suits your temperament. I couldn't imagine living in Dublin again. Bottled gas is fine for cooking; I have two large propane tanks outside my house. It's more expensive than natural gas, but not too bad. Services are good, but will never touch what you're used to in Dublin.[1] You'd have to be more specific to get a more specific answer. Roads are largely crap, but getting better.

As to optimism - that's a very individual thing. There's a very strong community spirit in many parts of the west. In my experience, that community spirit is very welcoming to like-minded individuals from outside who are prepared to contribute.

[1] With the exception of broadband - many parts of the west are working on having better broadband services than almost anything currently available in the cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Allta

Thank you for your comments! It's encouraging. I'm sure many more questions will come to mind. One is about renting. Where is the best place to look for houses for rent? I don't mean localities; I mean, which of the newspapers (on which day), or is it best done at local auctioneers or the like? Or good old DAFT.IE?

How likely is it that the western rail corridor will be re-opened... and when? That would go a long way to connecting people to Shannon (as an alternative to Knock, which I heard is pretty poor, or Dublin which would be more remote).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Allta wrote:
    Thank you for your comments! It's encouraging. I'm sure many more questions will come to mind. One is about renting. Where is the best place to look for houses for rent? I don't mean localities; I mean, which of the newspapers (on which day), or is it best done at local auctioneers or the like? Or good old DAFT.IE?

How likely is it that the western rail corridor will be re-opened... and when? That would go a long way to connecting people to Shannon (as an alternative to Knock, which I heard is pretty poor, or Dublin which would be more remote).

The main rail line in Mayo is the Dublin to Westport line serving Castlebar, with a only other currently active line being the off spurt Ballina line (serving Foxford) breaking off sometime before Castlebar. ([url][/url])

I wouldn’t be quick to but bets on the western rail corridor. It is said it could, if at all, only start with trains going from Galway to near by towns, and Sligo to near by towns.

Dublin is as a close to a lot of Mayo as Shannon - the difference in time isn’t worth talking about.

Knock International Airport (out side Charlestown, not Knock village) has, and is continuing to expand its routes. With flights to London Stansted (Ryanair), Liverpool (AerArann), Manchester (BA), Manchester (bmibaby), Nottingham East Midlands (bmibaby), and Birmingham (my travel lite). And with chartered flights this year to from sun to snow… Lanzarote, Majorca, Gran Canaria, Malaga, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and Andorra – ok, all but one is sun. The airport has the “capability to handle intercontinental aircraft”.

Broadband availability in Ireland
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95197

Satellite Broadband & dial up options
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63719

newspapers...

I’ve seen at least once Western People on sale in Eason's on O’Connell street in Dunlin, it’s out on Wednesdays, the others may also be there at some point, best to ask Eason's…

http://www.westernpeople.ie/
    http://www.con-telegraph.ie/
    http://www.mayonews.ie/

loads of info on Mayo...
    http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/

Thans for those links, Monument; I'd found them googling already. As far as trains goes I was just wondering if eventually it would be possible to get to Shannon from Westport via Claremorris and Athenry rather than via Portarlington. :p

Knock though seems a waste of space for me. When I travel it's not to holiday destinations. Normally it's via Heathrow onward to something much farther. I won't fly with Ryanair any more because I don't like their business practices. Some good connections might happen via Manchester though. Worst case I could take the train to Dublin. I'm prepared for that. Well, I'll have to be.

I'll look for those papers in Easons, but my question remains: are those the best ways to find a house to rent near Westport, or would more local resources (or DAFT) be better?

Looks like I'll be heading down to Westport early next week. This is an exciting time. Change!

A I said I wouldn’t be quick to but bets on the western rail corridor, you could always get the bus, but in the worst case you could fly Ryanair! :)

I haven’t used DAFT.ie, but I'd think the local papers could be better, the Connaught Telegraph (Castlebar), and more so the Mayo News (Westport) would be better for where you need.

Anyway good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if you looking for a house in westport , the mayo news is best as its based in westport.

Mayo News = Westport
    Connaught Telegraph = Castlebar
    Western People = Ballina

Allta wrote:
    Worst case I could take the train to Dublin.
    Here's an idea you're going to have to get used to: if you move down here, you're going to need a car. Public transport really is all but non-existent in the West.

You could rely on the train for transport to Dublin, but in my experience as often as not the timing just doesn't work out. The bus service is better, but with the state of the roads a long bus journey is not usually a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Tempting idea.

Monument: You can't rely on Ryanair if you have a connecting flight, alas, though Aer Arann and Manchester might prove useful.

IrishGeo: Easons in O'Connell Street had none, but I did pick up The Connacht Telegraph and The Western People in Easons in Nassau Street today.

OscarBravo: Car. Yeah, a car. Well, freed from Dublin rents maybe it would be a possibility. (I'm sure the partner will get one before I do; anyway my licence lapsed some years ago -- I wasn't driving and I forgot to renew -- so I'll have to go through the horror of testing and all that and get a new one.)

Yoda: It sure is to me.

Allta wrote:
    I did pick up The Connacht Telegraph and The Western People in Easons in Nassau Street today.
    Check out page 8 of the Western. The article's pretty crap, but there are a couple of pictures of me on it. ;) Let me know if you want more clarity on the state of broadband in the west than that article may have left you with.
    Allta wrote:
    OscarBravo: Car. Yeah, a car. Well, freed from Dublin rents maybe it would be a possibility.
    I'm not kidding - it's a necessity.

• Advertisement

The 4 August edition of The Western People is what I got, OscarBravo, and it doesn't seem to have an article about you in it. :( But I did read about the Group Data Schemes on the IrelandOffline forum. I guess that's what you're talking about. It's very interesting.

Having said that, isn't the exchange in Westport enabled for DSL? Of course it depends how far someone lives from the exchange. I heard that Newport is on Eircom's "trigger list" and that Eircom specified a trigger number which is greater than the actual number of households in the area. That isn't very encouraging.

As far as the car goes, I believe you. It's a logistics problem for me since I don't have a licence yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Allta wrote:
    The 4 August edition of The Western People is what I got, OscarBravo, and it doesn't seem to have an article about you in it. :( But I did read about the Group Data Schemes on the IrelandOffline forum. I guess that's what you're talking about. It's very interesting.

Having said that, isn't the exchange in Westport enabled for DSL? Of course it depends how far someone lives from the exchange. I heard that Newport is on Eircom's "trigger list" and that Eircom specified a trigger number which is greater than the actual number of households in the area. That isn't very encouraging.

As far as the car goes, I believe you. It's a logistics problem for me since I don't have a licence yet.
    good old eircom.

Going OT here...
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Check out page 8 of the Western. The article's pretty crap

I think they missed the whole how and where you can get broadband, as well as what it is, (and maybe what the practical uses are) - in plan English!

The above, along with a few minor errors, probably added to some peoples confused over broadband.

monument wrote:
    I think they missed the whole how and where you can get broadband, as well as what it is, (and maybe what the practical uses are) - in plan English!
    Mairéad Lavery's Farmer's Journal article is still probably the best yet, from that perspective.

I'm Yoda. You probably guessed.

Well, that was fun. So anyway, the move is on. Sometime between now and the end of September we'll be packing up and heading over. We found a house which we can rent till June (when it turns into a hugely expensive holiday rental) so that will give us plenty of time to get settled and look for something. That will be a lot easier when we are in the area in any case.

The house we found is near enough to the exchange to get broadband, though the copper probably isn't suitable. We'll see.

It's interesting that it's rather hard to find unfurnished rental accommodation. I suppose not that many people move west. On Monday we'll be heading up for two days in the area; we'll be heading out of town up to Newport and over to Mulranny to see what that all looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Allta wrote:
    (I'm sure the partner will get one before I do; anyway my licence lapsed some years ago -- I wasn't driving and I forgot to renew -- so I'll have to go through the horror of testing and all that and get a new one.)
    Unless it's out of date more than ten years you can just renew any time you like.

Nope. The licence I had was my Oregon driving licence, and in Oregon you only have a year's grace period after your licence expires, and then you're licenceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

hey you want to live by the sea...live in greystones its not in Dublin but its by the sea n great handy place to live?

Thought of that. Still too expensive. No different from Sutton, really. In the West we'll have the chance to buy a nice big house with a decent view of mountains and sea. That just doesn't happen on the East coast unless you're a millionnaire. Anyway, I work from home, and mostly use Dublin for cinema and proximity to the airport. The latter is quite a convenience, but owning my own house will more than make up for it.

• Advertisement

tee hee oh ok well greystones is a great place to live in n you dont have to be rich..

I'm really looking forward to moving out of Dublin, actually.

Yoda wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to moving out of Dublin, actually.

ok,but greystones aint in dublin lol but i know what you mean...

Packing.... Got the removal people booked for 13 September!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Well done!

I've been here since Monday, and love it. I keep getting up much earlier than I used to. Having the neighbouring cows look in the window by my desk will take some getting used to. Bright sunny morning today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Yoda wrote:
    I've been here since Monday, and love it. I keep getting up much earlier than I used to. Having the neighbouring cows look in the window by my desk will take some getting used to. Bright sunny morning today. :)

Well done Yoda, welcome to my neck of the woods! :D

Hope you'll be happy whever it is your stuated at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Hi Yoda,
    Could you give us an update on how this move went for you? I am planning a move to the same area (Newport / Mulranny) and would like to know how you got on....

Bowsie

We started with a winter letting of a farmhouse east of Westport on the Ballinrobe Road. In May 2005 we moved to Lecanvey, in the shadow of Croagh Patrick (also renting). Currently we are saving up to buy a field and build a house.

Moving West was the best thing ever for me. I work at home, so I can live where I like. Being 15 minutes' drive from Westport suits me -- or my inner hermit -- too. There's a pub in Lecanvey. There used to be a shop, too. It would be handier if there were a shop again, but time will tell. The job market per se isn't so vibrant out here in the West, but I guess it depends what you do.

Are you moving north from Clare, Bowsie Casey?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I used to live there myself Yoda, shame about the shop!! Where abouts are u renting?

Advertisement