Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your first horror?

• 24-06-2004 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I was just reminded in another post here about nightmare in elm street, and That was the first horror film i ever saw, I was about six and my older brother was babysitting me and my younger brother and he made us watch nightmare on elm st, 1 or 2, not to sure which. I remember my mother walking in and my brother and I bursting into tears, I think my younger brother was also struck dumb for a few days.

The first horror I watched by choice was Carrie, my local video shop used to do special deals on halloween, and it was all i could afford. but i haven't looked back since.

My older brother was a bit of a rocker/meteler and he thinks, that it was just a natural progresion for them to like horrors, plus the fact that he would've looked a right idiot renting anything else dressed in his best leather clothes and blue and red docs.
    So there you have it, what was the first horror you watched and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Think it was Alien or The Lost Boys but I cant be sure , I was well into it from an early age so watched by own choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

House of Wax, an old black& white movie with Vincent Price, is the first horror movie I can recall. My teen-aged sister was watching me and let me watch it before bed. I was about 5. It scared me so badly that I had to sleep in her room for weeks.
    She got into so much trouble over that.
    I saw it again quite recently, and it really is well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

My first horror would be Nightmare on Elm Street also. My mum taped it one night for us to watch with the babysitter when my parents went out to dinner. I was 6 at the time. God bless my parents for not worrying too much about age certificates ;)

I remember seeing bits of Poltergeist III on the TV around then too (the idea of people in the mirrors really freaked me out as a kid), but Nightmare was the first full horror movie I saw.

If I'm gonna go for first scary imagery, it wouldn't be Freddy Krueger, but the stop motion animation Medusa from 'Clash of the Titan' that I saw when I was 4 or so *shiver*

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Piranha in the cinema! I was 9 or 10.My dad brought me and my brother to see it and it scared the **** out of me.I've been obsessed ever since.

G

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Nora%20Kuzma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

This Film called Incubus 1982 cheezy horror flick the first and only time that i seen this i almost **** in pants when i was younger- i was something like 7 when i seen it.

It was about all these woman who get raped and ripped apart- bits of there womb missing nasty film to see when your younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭kurtmark22

My First Horror film was if you can call it a Horror film, Jaws. The first horror I saw in a cinema was one Elm Street 3. (Better than most of the dull Elm street sequels)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If Jaws can be considered horror, then that's it (I was probably about 4).

Actual horror though, Rosemary's Killer, but I don't remember much of it. Nightmare on Elm Street was another early-ish one when it came out on video first. Thank fuck my mam was into horror when I was a wee nipper :)

Actual horror though, Rosemary's Killer

Do you mean Rosemary's Baby?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First movie with gruesome bits in it would be Robocop (I still remember being appalled at watching Murphy being torn to bits by bullets), first proper horror was one of the Elm Streets....whichever one it was started with Freddy driving the bus.

That would be Elm Street 2 then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by kurtmark22
    Do you mean Rosemary's Baby?

No, I mean Rosemary's Killer.

Was known as The Prowler in other places. It was called Rosemary's Killer on the VHS copy we had of it. Not memorable movie history, but one of the first horror films i remember watching.

Can't say I ever heard of that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All
    My stepdad made me watch Susperior at a young age, 7 maybe 8. I have never watched a full horror film since, Infact elm street 1 was on Tg4 a few nights ago and I only got 30 mins from the end before ROTFL at the tounge coming out of the phone. how crap was that.

Still I will never watcha 70's horros film?:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Salems Lot, brr scary, btw just downloaded Salems Lot (TNT) 2004 remake, have not seen it yet

Still I will never watcha 70's horros film

Then you will miss 2 of the all time great horror films Halloween (1978 /9) & Texas Chainsaw Massacre (197? 4 I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by Batbat
    Salems Lot, brr scary, btw just downloaded Salems Lot (TNT) 2004 remake, have not seen it yet

Salem's Lot was also my first horror movie ... scared the bejebus out of me ... especially when the janitor is sitting in the rocking chair :eek:

That movie gave me nightmares for years after ... fecking Stephen King ... the man's a physco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

And stephen king's IT jesus that scared the boll*x out of me to when i was younger- scared to take a shower for days man.
    When i did have one keept on looking at the drain hoping that he would not pop out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The Omen was the first I remember seeing - didn't even watch it all - the part with the babysitter on the roof:-
    it all for you Damien - that was enough for me.
    IT scared the pants off me at the time (it was on sky one i think).

Salems lot scared me back when I first seen it. (I was about 12 at the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wrecked

mine was with some blob of goo or sumthing, it cud be "the blob" just remem the scene when dude puts his hand down drain disposal and it turns on and he's sucked in or sumthing.

saw elm street last nite, jesus how can you guys call that scary it's so bloody funny come on the ending when manican pulled in, ok i'm saying this symplistically so it's not really a spoiler anyone who saw the ending knows. funny sh@t

• Advertisement

Anybody who knows anything about Elm Street will tell you, Wrecked, That the Director Wes Craven did not want that tacked on ending. The studio New Line forced him to use it. Other than that Elm St is a scary film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brucecampbell

ok my first horror that i remember is nightmare on elm st 1...i was scared outta my life!!!!!!!!!but i also remember some film about an evil leprachaun...n there was some song in it..."this old man, he played one, he played knick knack on a lung"
    did i dream that or am i actually sane????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

ah the leprechaun.. Jennifer Aniston is in that.
    The leprechaun is looking for his lost pot of gold?

leprechaun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

The Amityville Horror frightened the sh1t out of me when I saw it first. I can still remember the music - eerie.

The old fire station in Naas (on the way into the public swimming pool) has similar shaped windows. that also used to put the ****s up me when I was young!

http://www.castleofspirits.com/amityville.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Can't remeber the name of it but it had this tv advert and people were buying these costumes or masks or sumting.....something like "Three more days to Haloween, Halloween, Halloween..."etc to the tune of "london bridge is falling down"

Not sure if it was a horror but it scared the ****e out of me....

p

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

That was Halloween 3:Season of the witch. All the kids were buying these masks (made by a company called Silver Shamrock) and when the ad counted down to halloween they were to become possessed. Had absolutely nothing to with Michael Myers but on its own wasn't a bad movie.

"Three more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock" Must say i love that jingle

imdb

Can't remember the name of my own.

Would have been pre-1987. The first few minutes involved some guy in a spaceship landing on a red planet, i remember he was trying to crawl out of the quicksand and some tentacle/creature grabbing his leg. Much like return of the jedi scene but definitely not the same film. Any clues cause its been confusing me for about 10 years now. Thats all i remember of the film

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Originally posted by brianomc
    That was Halloween 3:Season of the witch. All the kids were buying these masks (made by a company called Silver Shamrock) and when the ad counted down to halloween they were to become possessed. Had absolutely nothing to with Michael Myers but on its own wasn't a bad movie.

"Three more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock" Must say i love that jingle

imdb

Thanks....that's the one by the sound of it....that jingle was really catchy....my brother and I still use it when we are describing something weird or scary!!!

Figured out mine, just asked my cousin. It was Enemy Mine, a sci-fi film really but i remember it scaring me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My first was Jaws as well. I still think it's the most frightening thing I've seen (sharks freak me out). I was a very squeemish child so I never got into horror until I was about 12.

Advertisement