Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what to do next year?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

It ended up being a test run one way or the other, we werent very organised.
    we hope to rectify that this time round: )

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

So it will be tutorial one week, Cinema the next and once a month night out. That has got to attract some people's attention.

ya something like that man but this time I would like to get an idea of who will be running what and when before the year begins. just so we can get some dates for what will be happening when, also to get people to help us with this server stuff.
    hows the summer going man? find a job yet?

sig - battle of the bulge one of the best episodes of BoB.
    May be I can show that next year if people are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brucecampbell

my god your all so concerned with what to do bout the com soc, i think it may have failed due to lack of communication!!so if yer to try it all over again, tell everyone whats happenin...
    even the little girl who was dragged into it by accident!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support bruce!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

get the admins to let us use the computers to have a huge gane of DC some weekend or friday evening,
    would be crazy!!!!

normally we do that on friday or what ever time we have free in room 507/501 engineering department, but we normally play wolf et. dont know if we will be able to do that any more tho as they are changing the network over the summer and it will be all like the library/it building network where you cant do much!
    so we will have to ask the admins next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

yep your going to be in trouble there those guys run a fort knox.. ah well i managet to get kazaa/ftp/filetopia up and running last year, but mike k (admin) says that in the new system you would not even be able to install anything which sucks to extremes. BTW whoever is going into degree in Digital + SW eng this year good luck...you will need it

ya your righ about fort knox, whats so bad about the degree in Digital + SW eng? I am ment to be going into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

well 1st year is OK i suppose but 2nd year gets boreing fast and the room 508 (or 509 i think) is crap my advice is just do what your interested in and if you need any help with the assignments then let me know as they never change much over the years. oh by the way if i never have to hear the scrawny mumblings (weelll NOWW i dont knooo welll mmmmm ookaYY) of mike fahy again ill die a happy man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

what sort of compsoc is it going to be?
    when are ye planning to meet and what are ye planning to do at it?

im in carlowit compsoc, we meet twice a week, and all we do is play games.
    its hard to co-ordinate everyone to play the same games and sometimes its plain old annoying having to setup the games for other people that dont know how all the time.

holy **** this is one spammy thread, wheres your mod?

I know what you mean about mike fahy what a pin in the neither regions!
    as for "holy **** this is one spammy thread, wheres your mod?" I am the mod thx!

ohhh nice to meet you, good job you're doing here.

im in carlowit compsoc, we meet twice a week, and all we do is play games.
    its hard to co-ordinate everyone to play the same games and sometimes its plain old annoying having to setup the games for other people that dont know how all the time.

how many different type of compsoc are their?
    A few of us set it up last year and it didnt get very far as it only started after xmas and I had a few exams to get over. I was the head of it last year and didnt know that much about running a soc!

last year we tryed to meet at least once a month, but this didnt work very well.We did everything from give tutorials to gaming and tryed to setup our server and a number of student web sites. the server didnt get very far last year but next year i wont take NO for an answer.

if you get everything official and in writing you can get far when it comes to a server. im sure ye have some system there where you log onto any machine a drive is mapped to your account, for us we get a G drive for ourselves, and a H drive which is common to all students in that year.

for compsoc we got the techies to setup a compsoc account and a compsoci account and they created a 10gig S drive for us. so compsoc account could read from the S drive and compsoci had write access.

we take a lab, the closest one to the techies office, its got maybe 30 P4 2.8ghz 512mb ram machines with ****ty 64mb on board graphics. but i think we got sorted like those are good machines to have available. advertise at the start of your year, do ye have a clubs and societies day???? very good advetising there.

on clubs and socs day, we got two laptops, and set them up playing counter strike ( i hate that game ), we got an extremely high number of people to join from that advertising. next year i say we try to get maybe 4 laptops and a better game going.

we meet twice a week 5pm-10pm or thereabouts, which is better for keeping the soc alive, but bad as some people may not want to go twice a week.

games is always a problem, getting everyone to play the same game is always a problem, setting up and co-ordinating the games is always a problem, getting games to work on the computers is annoying as some games need write access to the c: or registry drive to work and we dont have that

pub time

the soc was official it was just the tec's that didnt want anything to do with it. It will just take a little more work next year on the soc's part to get the server up and running.

"im sure ye have some system there where you log onto any machine a drive is mapped to your account, for us we get a G drive for ourselves, and a H drive which is common to all students in that year"

yes we do but what we want is our own server that we can access from out side the IT and also hosted websites on.

on the other hand we normally dont have a problem getting everybody to play the same game, everybody seems like et.

yeah ET is good fun if you know the maps
    do your best to get a server, you should find it easier if you write down on paper what exactly you want the server for, like hosting games, websites, ssh, downloading/burning isos off heanet and so on. the college will be very restrictive though on the services allowed. thats if they are in anyway concerned about their network security

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't mention gaming in any way, shape or form :)

You're a computer society.
    You're there to promote, educate and provide additional computing resources to the students. This entails having a server which students can use, something that GMIT Comp Services can't really provide.
    This also entails Open Source software (GNU Linux // BSD).

Grab a copy of a compsoc constitution from one of the socs around Ireland and take a look through it.

our gaming take place out the soc.
    This also entails Open Source software (GNU Linux // BSD) this the part that the tec's dont like because they think its means more work for them, theirs a long story behind this.

When we were setting up the soc we borrowed NUIgalways constitution: )
    syx how and who talked the admins in yere palce into letting ye have a server?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

I know what you mean with the techs in GMIT - I did my sw engineering degree there
    a few years ago when it was an RTC. If the same techs are still there they're a dry bunch.
    Is Tony McDonald still lecturing there ?

dont know of him but that doesnt mean he is still not around somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Yes Tony is still around, along with Ted, Gabrial, Damien, Sean, John, and the rest, that are not coming to mind at the moment. I see you are based in Japan, did you do the FAS thing?

Timeout

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Hey Protos,
    Hows Japan for an irish man(rhyme unintentional), so you working for like a big jap game company, any inside info heheh, really want to live there.... me big otaku foo
    Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ARGINITE wrote:
    our gaming take place out the soc.
    This also entails Open Source software (GNU Linux // BSD) this the part that the tec's dont like because they think its means more work for them, theirs a long story behind this.

When we were setting up the soc we borrowed NUIgalways constitution: )
    syx how and who talked the admins in yere palce into letting ye have a server?
    The founders of the society back in the 70s.

They think OSS is more work for them because they are ignorant. Plain and simple.
    They need to provision a network connection for ye, that entails giving ye a length of CAT5, assigning an IP, setting up the DNS records etc. exactly like a windows box.

They're either ignorant, lazy or incompetent.
    Possibly a combination of any or all of the above.

mostly lazy, very lazy. thanks for the input as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

Tony, Ted and Gabriel I remember - the rest must be new. Tony Mac was a disaster. Des Chambers is gone I suppose - he was the best lecturer they had ............

Came to Japan originally in 98 on the FAS thing. I highly recommend it if you get a chance and you want to get out of Ireland after graduating. There's at least 4 or 5 people that I know of that did FAS after graduating from the S/W development course. There's loads of countries you can come to, Taiwan, Japan, China and a host of European places. I've actually done FAS twice - first time in Basel Switzerland, and then Tokyo.

Advertisement