Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what to do next year?

• 31-05-2004 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭

The first serious post on this board.
    Any ideas on what to do next year regarding the GMITcs since i/we did very little this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

I think you should get onto the technician now. They are setting up a new network system across the whole college. If you talk to them early then they could probably set up aome space on the network for the soc.

Eventually this could lead to lanning privileges and you'll have the space on the network for dedicated sever.ah-ha-ha theres nothing like a well layed plan!!

More and better noticing, for soc. events, around the college wouldn't go a stray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

those are all great ideas man i know you will help me with all of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭vega_AH64

IF you can get me a free ghost account to download XXXXXXXX. i will supply you with 10 super servers for your future network traffic.
    THese babies will be able to manage 8 bit processing a second which is hugh for this spec machine.
    ALso on a higher note this form sucks ass and i hate it and any one who ever comes on it is just a nice boy

Dont ban me

;/ me thinks u here to!

I'd gladly help but i won't be in the college after this year. Thank F*ck.

And Vega, who is "Hugh"

• Advertisement

one of his former men that he had living under his bed.
    Is this just slightly off topic or is it just me?

And Vega, who is "Hugh"

He was a former administrator from the GMIT that developed the concept of the pentium. He sold the idea to me but i lost it at the bus stop. Some body must have found it cause i think i heard something about pentiums benn sold in Ireland. But this is all just gossip.
    I was thinking of developing a new pentium. I was going to call it the Pentium 4 (P4).
    Would any one like to help me out here?
    Could do with some advice?

now boys and girls no more bloody spam in this thread it was ment to be for legit ideas. thx

ok will not be a bold boy anymore. no more spam. bold vega.

i swear an oth to this form that i am a good lad and will not spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

How about ye get a server and give me a shell account on it? I've been in gmit for long enough now, havent I?

• Advertisement

As for shell accounts - i dont think so.
    I taught you were a nuig person!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well an AGM to start with and some new members. Then they can be asked what to do.

Intro to courses is always a good one. Get someone from year above to give a quick review of what to look out for. Like what lectures to attenda or where to get books/notes.

thanks man always a help pitty you wont be around next year to greet all the new members: )
    and pick a pr officer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

How about support groups for everyone who has had tony o leary?

On a more serious note im a "former" gmit student i.e i dropped out but if i can help with anything just give me a shout.

Dont dis tony he is cool "The glasses make the man" when he is picking on somebody else and not you: )
    thanks man
    the first year of GMITcs was kinda a disaster.

Ah yeah the mans a living legend but tbh liam shaughnesy is the overall winner i'd say if ya got that man mental he has the skills to design your doom in cad and then whip up a device to kill you in materials and processes all of course with a bit of help from batman aka jim borge. :D,

Aye when did ye form i didnt see anything about the soc before i left this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

what to do next year?
    how about hearting less cock?
    that goes for you too, Asok.

Originally posted by tman
    how about hearting less cock?
    that goes for you too, Asok.

T.I fanboy still eating yore lemons!

actually this year just after christmas,
    liam was dead cool really and his 4x4.
    anyways have to study for a math's repeat.
    so later.
    please done argue its putting me of my study.

Originally posted by ARGINITE
    thanks man always a help pitty you wont be around next year to greet all the new members: )
    and pick a pr officer!

I'll be around to welcome them and i'll have a decent signup program with database access also :D

The pr person will be around next year. I'm sure their might be some other attractive women I can help promot also ;)

• Advertisement

get out of here "with a taxi driver style kick"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had a bit of a chat with some of ye at the last lan, but here's a few ideas (about to run out the door from work):

1. Write up some formal Society Constitution.
    Hold an AGM, get official and legal-smart straight away. Make sure you cover the collective asses of the committee members and auditor well.
    Will save you hassle in the long run.

2. Write up slides (powerpoint/Impress), book a room, advertise the ****e out of it and hope people turn up. About an hour is long enough for a tutorial.
    Try an have at least one tutorial/talk/event/workshop every fortnight. If ye can do that consitently and actually have people show up, you'll be doing grand :)

3. Run events for ragweek, freshers week etc.
    One thing I've done the last two years was a retro gaming session in the bar/college/somewhere with people.
    You'll get alot of people coming up who are attracted by the shiney lights. And you'll also discover that the most unusual people will recognise some of the old games.
    Plenty of dolly birds seem to remember Lemmings for instance.

4. Pimp Opensource software for people doing work.
    GMIT has got a decent net connection doesn't it?
    It's hooked up to ITNet afaik.
    USE IT, IT'S THERE FOR EDUCATION.
    YOU'RE SOCIETY'S PURPOSE IS TO INCREASE PEOPLE'S KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS WITH COMPUTERS.
    I can't see how they won't give you a connection and a few U of rackspace for a server.
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie has over a metric shitload of various linux distros.
    Grab Debian, RedHat/Fedora, SuSE or Mandrake for beginners, offer it around (prehaps buy a spindle or 2 of decent CDRs+ plastic pockets, burn off a few copies of Mandrake Live or Knoppix, Setup a desk some monday and offer the first 25 free to people if they sign up, take orders from other people for the next week.
    If people pay a €1 membership fee, they get a CD with a nice free powerful pretty OS in a week's time. Will build membership, and prehaps funding.
    Maybe also ask people/members to donate a bit of money to the server fund.

5. Show a film or two during the year.
    Terminator 2 prehaps.

Re: Server, network etc.
    If they agree to give you a connection, try and ensure you easy access to the box if needed, that it's in a safe place, that it's plugged into a surge protector that isn't in danger of being pulled out when the cleaning lady needs to hoover.
    Ensure that the actual network connection is 10Mbit Fullduplex or better.
    by Network connection I mean the connection from the server to the GMIT lan.
    Anything 1Mbit or above is good enough to start with.
    External connectivity is more important than an ocean of bandwidth at the start.
    You'll need to either run your own firewall on the box (IPtables), be able to request certain ports open/closed fairly easily or both.
    Going from what I've heard before, it's important that you stress to whoever listens that linux is "more secure", "more educational", "more production standard" and above all is "free" (and in more than just the monetary sense).
    You must also stress that the society is capable of adminning the box securely, will take responsibility for the actions of it's members/users and the other few things.
    As for the machine itself, I would push you to try and go dual cpu if you can, and a RAID 1 pair of 120+Gig drives. At least that way if a drive dies, you need only RMA it, slap int he replacement, rebuild the array from teh good disk (simply copy stuff onto the new empty drive) and not a byte is lost.
    Also, with RAID1 you'll get 2x the read rate over a single disk, though only 1x the write, as it's writing the same data to 2 disks, which takes the same amount of time.

I'm rambling now, but if you want a chat about the server, society or whatever (possibly over some frosty beverages), I can arrange a bit of a pissup some weekend in Galway before September.

All really good points, best we have had so far.
    The whole server thing will have to be explained properly.
    Man when ever you have time i can get a few people together and we can chat about the server, society or whatever.

thanks.

I don't know aboot ye but next year i'll be mostly eating squeezy cheezy peas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Mmmm me thinks they did most of that stuff last year...
    1. Write up some formal Society Constitution.
    Hold an AGM, get official and legal-smart straight away. Make sure you cover the collective asses of the committee members and auditor well.
    Will save you hassle in the long run.

They did that before christmas....
    2. Write up slides (powerpoint/Impress), book a room, advertise the ****e out of it and hope people turn up. About an hour is long enough for a tutorial.
    Try an have at least one tutorial/talk/event/workshop every fortnight. If ye can do that consitently and actually have people show up, you'll be doing grand

Yep there were oooh's , aahhhs, and the occasional "ohh bugger I've dropped my monicle"

3. Run events for ragweek, freshers week etc.
    One thing I've done the last two years was a retro gaming session in the bar/college/somewhere with people.
    You'll get alot of people coming up who are attracted by the shiney lights. And you'll also discover that the most unusual people will recognise some of the old games.
    Plenty of dolly birds seem to remember Lemmings for instance.

Now this be an excellent idea... did the dudes in NUI do this before?

5. Show a film or two during the year.
    Terminator 2 prehaps.

Yep they did this showed Ghost in the Shell which seemed apropriate enough...

as a side note is there an anime soc, or are the otaku wannabe's all in comp soc anyway, anyone up for marathon Cowboy bebop sess lol, just got whole set from singapore, *gloats*

i know a few guys that probally would be up for that, wataru you were at the ghost in a shell fiasco?

Man that ghost in the shell thing just fell to pieces. Must simply use a DVD player rather then pc next time. Well if he was there it means it could only have been one of about 5 people:D

lol what happened? DVD compatibility issues?

Was it not in one of the new lecture theatres with their ceiling mounted projectors, The film society shows movies in them and it works pretty well, altho sound is mono and a wee bit low

Ya one of the new rooms but the problem was that it was a Divx and the box it was on acted up and just general rubbish!
    So I take it you missed it all: )
    ah well.
    Note to self
    Next year at the start of the year we will have to set out what we attend to do during the year!

• Advertisement

lol an .avi eh?
    Well I have it on DVD for again,
    I thought last year was supposed to be more of a test run, because of server probs and all the rest...

Advertisement