Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dune

• 07-04-2000 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I've tried to read it twice in the past five years, but i've never been able to get past all that gom jabaar stuff. Anyway, i've been told it is brilliant before, and now it has been recommended to me again. Since the library doesn't have wheel of time 1 yet, i'll need something to keep me going. Does it stay boring for long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The first 2 are okay, the 2nd 2 are better but get very esoteric. The last 2 are fantastic (5 is worth it just for the epitaph to herbert's wife at the back).

Well worth reading just for some of his insghts into the pack-animal side fo human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

thats funny, my cousin said the opposite, they get worse smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I thought they were excellent, but did get more tired towards the end of the series.

You can't beat the film though! smile.gif

Al.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Agree with Trojan that they got progressively weaker towards end of series.
    Inquire is there some book published recently
    by his son that is a prequel?
    Final point, was the film genius or dross? Bit of both IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The film was genius, no question! I do remember an argument on Films about this before but it is a classic. The sci-fi channel were excellent there a year or two ago, they showed it every 6 weeks or so - deadly!

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m trying to find good books for a friend’s kid.

I’ve never read Dune but if the film is an accurate adaptation then this book could be okay.

Does the book go more into more details about concubines? The seem to be no different to wives and girlfriends?

are the female characters given good character development?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How old is the kid? The books may be a bit hard going. This, only second hand though, might be more suitable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dune-Storybook-Joan-D-Vinge/dp/0399129499

Thank you for the suggestion but the kid is more than able for reading the book.

What concerns me is whether there is any sexual content described in the book and whether the female characters are more than wives and girlfriends.

I also should have asked if the first novel could be considered a standalone story or does it have a lot of loose ends and cliffhangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The first novel can stand alone. There are female characters that have their own roles outside of their relationships with men (like running a human breeding program), although the book focuses on male characters. There's not much in the way of explicitly described sexual content, but there's attempted rape and hints of paedophilia. I'd be more concerned with the child being bored by the politics, philosophy and religion of the book.

No the kid would enjoy the politics, religion and such but if there something related to paedophilia then that is is the end of that. I’ll find another book. Thank you for the information.

I forgot about the threat of rape on Jessica. In the book did it go further than just talking about it in the film?

what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you are struggling with the first one. I'd avoid the rest. It only gets weirder. From memory I enjoyed the first one, the rest less so. Same with Foundation I seem to remember.

Advertisement