Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anime

• 04-12-2003 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else from the Waterford area, or even Waterford city itself into anime, or am I the only one? Just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Your the only on TSOB.

:D

Eóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not looking good now is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Looking pretty dismal indeed. Tried asking the same thing in the Eirtaku forum on mangatoanime, and in it's IRC channel as well, and got f all back there so far as well. So, yea, looks like i'm all alone. *Sniff* :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Can I ask what it is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

japanese cartoons

mainly for an adult audience if i know my anime so it is probably wrong. there may be some for the kiddies too. it is definately animation

• Advertisement

Yea, anime is janapese animation. It's for audiences both young and old, and deals with topics as serious as war, death, religion and such, and also has comedies that are light hearted and about dating, or school or about nothing in particular. The big differance, and one of the reasons a lot of people dismiss it and call it childish is of course the fact its animated and deals with everything in an ott manner. But that's part of the charm, and tbh, I find I watch way more anime than the rubbish that gets put on tele over here.

Thanks for that, never heard of it :)

Yea, sorry it's a sh*te description, but it's really somethin your best off sitting down and watchin. There's hundreds of anime's available to buy/download/watch at the moment. Unfortunately most of the one's available to watch in Ireland are rubbish. Gundam W and Dragonball as an example. Tenchi on the other hand isn't to bad, it's a comedy about a teenager who's house gets invaded by women from space and has some good action scenes in it. Best bet if you wanna talk about it and use IRC is to drop into #eirtaku on quakenet. If not, try [EMAIL=www.mangatoanime.com]www.mangatoanime.com[/EMAIL] , or even pm myself as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why dont you move to Japan??

You won't feel left out over there!

Cause
    • I can't speak japanese
    • I'm jobless and broke
    • I don't know anyone over there
    • I quite like where i'm living now
    • I'd miss seeing these kinda time wasting posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    • I'd miss seeing these kinda time wasting posts

They have Teh Intarweb (tm) in Japan too you know.

Yea, that's true, but I wanted to add something else to the list, and that was all that came to mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Cause
    • I'm jobless and broke

You can say that again, get a job you hippy :D

Nah I think he just like to spend his time spamming on boards - guess somebody has got to do it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Watched my first proper animé last night - a vampire/zombie thing called Hellsing. Twas a bit odd. Actually, the cartoons themselves weren't too bad but there were these bits inbetween (was on a dvd) that had a floating/flying priest talking the weirdest sh1te. Dunno if you've seen it, TheSonOfBattles, but if you have, and you understand it, would you mind explaining it to me? :confused:

Yea, I watched Hellsing a month or two back, but it wasn't on DVD so I don't know the floating priest bit your on about.

Basically the series is set in England and centers on a Vampire called Alucard who is in service/servitude to the Royal Knights of England (or something along those lines) which is dedicated to wiping out vampires. Alucard is extremely old and immensely powerful, and has grown bored, and hunts vampires and there minions as something to pass the time, hopin that he will find a challenge worthy of his powers.

He vamps a police woman as another way to pass the time, an expirement. He wants to see how powerful she'll become, how long it'll take for her to grow accostomed to her new vampiric nature.

The series ends abruptly, and a lot of things are left hanging. Most of the remaining story is told in the manga apparantly. I quite liked the action in it meself.

What exactly aren't you clear on, what do you need explaining. I'll try me best to explain.

Maybe you could get a job as an anime reviewer??

Does such a job actually exist??

Originally posted by misswex
    Does such a job actually exist??

Not in Ireland, no. But in other countries yea. Besides which as you can see from my above posts, I have NO skill at writing, reviewing or describing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

you got that right.
    The only anime cartoon i ever saw was when channel 5 did a japanese night a couple of years ago and there was this cartoon with a sarcastic talking cat that played erotic tricks on its family like pulling open the shower curtains on the mother of the family and throwing hairballs at her. twas great.
    anywho, would the animatrix be classed as anime?

• Advertisement

Yes. Animè can be classed as Japanese cartoons

Advertisement