Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in tramore

• 30-11-2003 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

when the hell are we goin to see broadband in tramore eh? im sick to death of putting up with this crap service. i haerd we need 10,000 people in order to get it but i thought tramore would have had that already.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think they mean 10000 people who actually want it..
    not 10000 illiterate gimps who cant use a PC never mind using the web :D

Im from just outside Tramore myself and believe me, I cant see a demand for
    it in Tramore apart from a few of us who actually know what the Internet actually is..

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Ever consider joining the local wan? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

where?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There is another problem with the whole broadband issue in Tramore.

The only viable way to get Broadband into Tramore is via cable as LOS will
    just never work due to the amount of hills and valleys around the bloody place.
    Even if they put a pod on the church spire, (which i can never see being allowed
    to happen).. there would still be areas towards Fenor, Pickardstown, back in the
    Waterford road etc where LOS wouldnt work and any broadband service provider
    is not gonns start ripping up the roads for the sake of a few houses...

So its gonna be very hard to get something like that up and running with the small
    population thats actually available to accept it straight away without any major work.

One of the reasons that Ennis was picked for this whole "Information Age Town"
    thingie was the fact that a number of different options were available to Eircom
    to actually install the technologies required.. the majority of the town was fairly
    new and as such there was minimal work required for putting the infrastructure
    in place as they had fairly upto date lines installed, its a relatively flat town too
    with no major hills so LOS could be used..

A local WAN would be a great idea, but are there that many in Tramore who would
    be willing to work on something like that?

Just outta curiosity what would it take to setup one of those cost wise and equipment wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

@ToxicPaddy:

To set up a WAN, first one person would need a fast connection (512k up, 512k down at least) and then buy some wireless equipment to put at the highest point of their house (chimney), this will cost a good few hundred, or if you want range, a few thousand! Then every1 who wants WAN will have to buy equipment worth €250 and put that on the top of their house. Would be very costly to make a long story short!

AFAIK, you can get ISDN off EircoN, and then move to UTVip or IOL Anytime, where you can use one channel (64k) for dedicated Interweb for 180 hours a month, work it out and you spend €29.98 on line rental and €25 for the ISP.

afaik Cablesurf ( http://www.cablesurf.com ) provide either an ISDN service (unlimited) for €30 a month or a broadband service, but I'm not sure.

Just an idea, but if we can get about a hundred people or so in Tramore to sign a petition and send it to Eircom, then might just upgrade the exchange, however, I wont be optimistic,becuase it's an age old exchange and I wouldnt be surprised to find out that the phone lines were placed during cost-cutting times and are made from alluminium :(

• Advertisement

The wan exists, with most of Tramore being covered. http://www.irishwan.org.

I'm there TBH!!

Now just to raise money for the equipment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

f*ck it im moving to waterford. murderer - any chance of you buying the equip then somehow I can scab it off you?
    not 10000 illiterate gimps who cant use a PC never mind using the web

We are not illiterate in tramore, excuse me. and there may be some people in this hole that are gimps but im not one of them.

It' some pain in the arse trying to find out the coverage area.

@Kano:

We could network our PC's (or in your case a shìtty mac) and share the cnx :p

Originally posted by kano476
    We are not illiterate in tramore, excuse me. and there may be some people in this hole that are gimps but im not one of them.

I wasnt talking about you mate... im actually from the area myself.. but its just for years anything to do with PC's, web etc has been essentially shunned.

There were young lads in the CBS who setup a small company to design webpages
    etc and the amount of hassle they had trying to scrape the pennies together to help
    them get started was shameful. Only due to the persistance of some teachers
    who wouldnt give up on it, did they manage to get it off the ground and even won
    some awards for it..

Tis a bloody shame is what it is...

:mad:

• Advertisement

Seems as if nobody wants broadband in tramore! ;)

i do! i do! come to think of it though not many people in tramore use the internet that much, and you never really hear of anyone complaining about the piss poor service we are given. apart from johnny hartery in cbs. 90,000euro cbs spent on a new computer room (most was insurance though) and we dont have a decent connection yet. Altghough there was talk a while ago of some sort of mast being put on top of carraiglong (that hill near katie rilley's) that points to some building in waterford that would sponsor the school for broadband.

I know the hill you're on about, I actually live out that way, the only problem is that with LOS, it will barely cover top of Tramore by the Church, so unless they have
    another point on top of the church most will find it hard to get...

Well Paddy we must be talking about different tramores here, as I can see what I thought was most of tramore from the node anyway!

Hmm, I just realised I never mentioned the hill on this forum. The node is on tony powers hill/the faloon, whatever you call it, the same place the tv deflector and several other masts are.

Other major towns fully/almost fully covered by the wan include Waterford and New-Ross, and Wexford town is partially covered. Kilkenny is next. ;)

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Well Paddy we must be talking about different tramores here, as I can see what I thought was most of tramore from the node anyway!

Must be a different hill so, cause I know the hill that's near Carriglong is not that high, there is a bigger one a little further down the road so that might one they are
    on about...

Kilkenny is next. ;)

Nah, leave that place alone :) !

I am talking about the hill where the tv deflector is - look at every second house to see where their antennas are pointed for BBC/ITV/CH4/etc and you'll know what direction the hill is in. Amazing that everyone is aparrantly interested, yet there doesnt seem to be much activity now that its known that the wan already exists. ;)

Kilkenny is, however on the road to Dublin...Carlow will be following Kilkenny next year. :)

Well with the announcement of Broadband to every town with over 1500 inhabitants by 2005, it seems abit stupid to go out and pay €300+ on mast's and hardware when broadband is just around the corner!

€200 or so actually. ;) IBB may cover tramore as well once they set up 3.5 in the area btw. Most contribute around €30 - €40 a month towards the cost of the internet connections.

• Advertisement

€200 or so actually. ;) IBB may cover tramore as well once they set up 3.5 in the area btw. Most contribute around €30 - €40 a month towards the cost of the internet connections.

I mean for top of the range hardware, not just an aerial made outta a pringles box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Hmm, I just realised I never mentioned the hill on this forum. The node is on tony powers hill/the faloon, whatever you call it, the same place the tv deflector and several other masts are.
    I live just below Faloon, can't see the parents being willing to hand over that much money though...

If you use crap hardware you could do it for €100, but we only use decent hardware on the network. :) Or you can mix them, e.g. pick up an old mmds antenna for nothing and buy a good WET11 for €120, and then you just need a bit of antenna and cat5 cable. What you get for €200 is Linksys WET11, waterproof outdoor box, 15/19dB antenna, simple PoE setup and cat5. The stuff can be purchased from websites such as fab-corp.com, and the PoE is a very easy DIY job. I dont usually let anyone using crap cards connect to any of my nodes as they sometimes cause the performance to drop for everyone, so if anyone doesnt want a media converter, I usually use an Orinoco card (around €50ish + cost of pci-pcmcia adapter, usually €40 if its to be used in a desktop pc). I really dont care if nobody here wants to get connected as theres nothing in it for me, but some seem to have some misconceptions about the stuff that I wanted to clear up...

If you use crap hardware you could do it for €100, but we only use decent hardware on the network. Or you can mix them, e.g. pick up an old mmds antenna for nothing and buy a good WET11 for €120, and then you just need a bit of antenna and cat5 cable. What you get for €200 is Linksys WET11, waterproof outdoor box, 15/19dB antenna, simple PoE setup and cat5. The stuff can be purchased from websites such as fab-corp.com, and the PoE is a very easy DIY job. I dont usually let anyone using crap cards connect to any of my nodes as they sometimes cause the performance to drop for everyone, so if anyone doesnt want a media converter, I usually use an Orinoco card (around €50ish + cost of pci-pcmcia adapter, usually €40 if its to be used in a desktop pc).

well since tramore is a town full of illiterate gimps then no ones going to have a f*cking clue what you just said!

Originally posted by kano476
    well since tramore is a town full of illiterate gimps then no ones going to have a f*cking clue what you just said!

You arent the only person in Tramore btw :rolleyes:

im not going to get into a silly little flame war with you so just go away.

you live in tramore aswell you fool.

What I was implying, you little illiterate gimp, that I understood that perfectly and that the whole of Tramore isn't modelled on your illiterate self. Learn how to read between the lines you nub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been a while since I checked this thread and it seems I can't trust you to play on your own!

Keep it civil all of you!

Mike.

:p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    I can't trust you to play on your own!

You can thrust me anytime u want Mike ;)

Advertisement