Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The comeraghs!

• 05-12-2003 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever been up there?
    Me and 7 lads from my class and a teacher climbed from mahon falls across knocknapeebra summit or whatever its called and then down the north ridge of coumshingaun as an outdoor persuit trip from school. I have to say its one of the most spectacular areas of scenery ive seen (in ireland).

Up till now i had never been up the comeraghs and never thought theree was anything good about them but some of the views up there are pretty amazing. from knocknapeebra you can see from past dungarvan to hook head and when you come to the top of the back cliff at coumshingaun which is a 1000ft drop straight down its breathtaking. None of the other lads had been up there before apart from our teacher and none of us thought there was anything special about the comeraghs.

The point is we have all this on our doorstep and hardly anyone i know has ever been near the place. Everyone goes on about wicklow and kerry and galway - yes there nice but we have all this only 30 mins away. Anyway just wanted to know if anyone's been up there recently.
    Didn't see the IRA though :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by kano476
    Has anyone here ever been up there?

a few months ago i was up there

we walked up a steep hill at the beginning of that path to Mahon Falls. then walked across the top and climbed down the waterfall. and yes the scenery is amazing up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A friend of mine went camping up there a few times with a group, last time they got flown in and out by helicopter - took some excellent pictures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Comeraghs Rock! er sorry...:ninja:

I like you kano476 I once did'nt give them a thought or thought they were'nt very interesting then I took up photography (this was about 12 years ago) and found myself travelling uphill and down dale but only on the roads around the Commeraghs and the Knockmeldowns.

I got some lovely slides most of which are on file with an agency in England - if I had a scanner I'd post some of the ones I still have.

Mossy, I often looked at that fence that runs up the mountainside left of the Mahon falls and said I must
    follow it and cross over the river then cross north to
    look over the Nire Valley (sheer drops of about 500-600 feet) but well, I never did....
    Didn't see the IRA though

They were on the Clonmel side...
    Everyone goes on about wicklow and kerry and galway - yes there nice but we have all this only 30 mins away

Journalist David Quinn takes his hollidays in West Waterford and said its a hidden treasure and he's right but he wants to keep it that way with all the Yanks going to Kerry! :p

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    he wants to keep it that way with all the Yanks going to Kerry! :p

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally posted by mike65

I like you kano476

OMG YOU GHEY, YOU LIKE OTHER BOYS :D

Oh and the comeraghs are spectacular, stay there for a night though, tis brillaiant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

murderer omg you stupid!! haha you havent had a woman in very long time!!! he didnt mean it that way....... i hope....
    read sentence again fool.

WE all know he's a fudge packer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not rising to this bait

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Anyway.... it is a nice place to go for a walk... as it's only a 15 minute drive away. On a good day you can climb up to the cross and look down on Dungarvan and around. There is a plaque on the rock mound around. I keep forgetting what it says... Another walk is due... well it has been 5 months. :p The waterfall looks spectacular especially after a downpour. :ninja:

Originally posted by hamster
    On a good day you can climb up to the cross and look down on Dungarvan and around.

the view is pretty good. i remember going up there years ago trying to see my house. never did find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

1. Take a compass bearing to the bit of the Mountains that you can see from your house.

2. Climb the afore mentioned mountain

3. Reverse the bearing and look along it.

4. Phone somebody at home and ask them to set fire to your neighbours car.

5. Your house will be the one beside the thick black smoke :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Originally posted by fenris

:D

Originally posted by fenris

:D good one :D

GJ

Advertisement