Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder / Tournament

• 27-11-2003 8:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

I guess the first thing that needs to be done is choose a provider.

Couldn't be bothered checking Zone.com chess, after a long registry process it began to download Zonefriends and rubbish like that so I cancelled.

Yahoo chess seems alright. To create a tournament or a private ladder you need to be a paying member though.

Chess.net is fairly basic (no private leagues etc), but i find it to be the best. There's a nifty downloadable client as well as a web-based java one. I recommend this place for playing.

Unless we can find somewhere that can organise a ladder/tournament for us, we'd probably have to do it ourselves here or have someone make a webpage for it. Personally i'd suggest organising it here, post match-ups here every sunday or whatever. A round-robin tournament would work the best i think, its flexible to account for people not showing up and can run for as long desired. There are programs available online for automating match-ups for Round-robins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Well, as I was pointing out, the mod of chess should determine the fixtures and so on and have them posted up say a month in advance - and if they are determined here, it does not require us to have a private league on yahoo - rather it would allow us to go into the main rooms and play as we wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think i used to use a program called chesslive or uschesslive or uschess or something like that, that was had for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

kif what exactly is round-robin? Every tournement ive been in its been done 'swiss-style'. which works best if players are seeded.

I'll explain it if you dont know.
    All the players are written upranking from best to worst. Lets say theres 100 players. PLayer 1(thebest) plays player 51, and player 2 plays player 52 etc. ( I *think* thats how its done for the 1st round, it could be 1 v 100, 2 v 99 etc. but dosent sound right)
    Once the 1st round is done(all matches played), all the players will have a score of 1 or 0 (or 1/2 if a stalemate occurs).
    In the 2nd round the best player on 1 plays the worst on 1, and the 2nd best on 1 plays the 2nd worst on 1 and so on. Players on 0 play players on 0 in the same fashion.

Rounds are playe duntil only one player is left with a perfect score(or two on x+1/2 as sometimes happens) The idea of this is to preserve the best players till the end.

I would be happy to set this up and maybe draw up the tournement in excel with the help of another person to get names and the like.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Rnger
    kif what exactly is round-robin? Every tournement ive been in its been done 'swiss-style'. which works best if players are seeded.

All the players are written upranking from best to worst. Lets say theres 100 players. PLayer 1(thebest) plays player 51, and player 2 plays player 52 etc. ( I *think* thats how its done for the 1st round, it could be 1 v 100, 2 v 99 etc. but dosent sound right)
    Once the 1st round is done(all matches played), all the players will have a score of 1 or 0 (or 1/2 if a stalemate occurs).
    In the 2nd round the best player on 1 plays the worst on 1, and the 2nd best on 1 plays the 2nd worst on 1 and so on. Players on 0 play players on 0 in the same fashion.

Rounds are playe duntil only one player is left with a perfect score(or two on x+1/2 as sometimes happens) The idea of this is to preserve the best players till the end.

I would be happy to set this up and maybe draw up the tournement in excel with the help of another person to get names and the like.
    pretty much that. though i've never seen playing on until only 1 person has a perfect score. its always been a set number of games (usually 6).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by Rnger
    Every tournement ive been in its been done 'swiss-style'. which works best if players are seeded.

All the players are written upranking from best to worst.

How would it work if we wasn't seeded? Should take some time to get things moving with ranking and such. Why not just set up a quick league/ladder to start with. Once people get some games under their belts it could get fairly popular whereas a system initially based on arbitrary rankings might put some people off.

I know there's a higher likelihood of mismatches with a general league type format but I have no real problem with losing to someone better just want to play a little chess.

Does anybody have a rough idea how many folks are interested? I reckon there's 15-16 so far. Be a good idea to get some matches going anyway.

• Advertisement

Post message: boards_ie@yahoogroups.com
    Subscribe: boards_ie-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

These are the emails for our Yahoo group from which I am hoping to set up the tournament.

Below is the link thereto...

Link to Boards.ie Yahoo Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

It works best if its seeded, its not neccasry.

I dont see the point in uising yahoo groups if we can just use boards.

Can we agree on using this 'robin-round' style to do the tournement? PLayers could be written up alphabettically.

Let's see how many people are playing first; if you would each be so good, as some already have, to reply to the thread on who is playing. That way we get firm numbers.

The yahoo groups allows us a way to directly contact members who for example don't show up for games and so on, since the admins of the site would have their email address if necessary, without having to wait for a boards.ie subscribed thread notification which is more often than not ignored.

Advertisement