Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 7 : Monaco

• 24-05-2023 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭

Let's try again. After last week's cancellation, it's time for round 6 again. Monaco. Looks great, could be crap race again. Who knows?

Timings as follows:

• Friday
      • FP1: 12:30
      • FP2: 16:00
    • Saturday:
      • FP3: 11:30
      • Qualifying: 15:00
    • Sunday:
      • Race: 14:00
    • Channel 4 times:
      • Saturday
        • A documentary about Monaco (Monaco Grand Prix, The Legend): 18:20
        • Saturday highlights: 19:30
      • Sunday
        • Sunday highlights: 18:30

Current Driver Top 5:

1. Max Verstappen - 119
    2. Sergio Perez - 105
    3. Fernando Alonso - 75
    4. Lewis Hamilton - 56
    5. Carlos Sainz - 44

Current Constructor Top 5:

1. Red Bull - 224
    2. Aston Martin - 102
    3. Mercedes - 96
    4. Ferrari - 78
    5. McLaren - 14

You're welcome @flazio

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If any track can stop a RedBull winning it will be Monaco

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This would be the perfect place for an Alonso Aston Martin win. He just needs to do the perfect lap and not crash. Go Alonso.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭recyclebin

First images of new Mercedes parts now doing the rounds. Looks to have sidepods now, similar to Aston Martin.

Must have taken a huge chunk of the budget to make the changes. So many new parts listed on Motorsport.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

I seem (judging by comments online) to be one of the few people who really likes this race. Of course its never going to be an overtaking fest but the sheer skill of getting those cars around those streets as fast as that is incredible. Qualifying in Monaco for me is one of the highlights of the F1 year, I've been there (not over an F1 weekend sadly) and its amazing just how narrow it is. It really is like a race around your local town with F1 cars, definitely worth a watch 🙂 the upgraded cars will be interesting too. I agree with the poster above who said it must have taken a good chunk of Mercedes budget to rework the car, but they needed to bite that bullet at some point rather than chasing the clearly limited concept they had. I actually think they might be slower initially (because others have developed this concept over a year and a half now so Mercedes are behind) but it has more scope to move forward for 2024/25. Can they outdevelop Red Bull though, I'm less sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Isn't free practice meant to be today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think they did away with the old format of no action on Friday.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Zero sidepods are no more. That was a terrible experiment for Merc. They also have new anti-dive front suspension on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's kinda ugly. But that doesn't matter if it's fast. We'll see.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Probably won't be able to tell fully at Monaco either, they are a year behind on this approach as well, but it can't be any slower.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bizarre how long they clung to the zero pods concept. They keep saying that the side pods weren't the issue with the car, but they stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Alonso tweeting "28/5" which adds up to 33, winning this weekend will be his 33rd win. Im all for this conspiracy! No better man to defend around Monaco

Their overall concept was flawed from the podcasts I listen to etc. They are also limited on what they can change on this car with the chassis being too expensive to change mid-season.

I personally think the car looks like a dogs dinner now, it is a mix of aero approaches.

So can we have a poll on who will 'crash' in quali to better their race start? I'll start with Chuck LeClerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Whereas Nyck de Vries will crash because #tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alot to be said for getting a hot lap in early. Gives the option of going nuts for the final run and not being too worried if you block the track.

Saturday looking dry but weather for Sunday is possible thunder and rain at 15:00 local! Interesting....

Had a quick check of his Formula E record here. In 2021 he suffered a 40 place grid penalty and even though he started second to last, he still had to serve a 10 second stop/go in the pits. He retired with electrical failure.

Last year using their weird qualifying duel system he qualified 8th and finished 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really looking forward to this weekend.

Merc binning their awful sidepods was a long time coming but I still didn’t expect it to happen this soon! Be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Naturally the RB will be heavy favourite but in a season with one car so far ahead of the rest Monaco can at least give other teams the chance at real success if they can nail quali.

Im gonna stick my head out early and say Charles will win his home race this time. The Ferraris race pace has been generally rubbish but we’ve seen them do well in qualifying, especially in Baku where Leclerc got both poles. The Aston hasn’t really been anywhere in quali so it could be a quiet race for Alonso.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Leclerc could easily bin it though. My money is on Max or Alonso

Ms

Last year using their weird qualifying duel system he qualified 8th and finished 10th.

Nothing weird about it. It's quiet brilliant, simple and clever and is something F1 should think about doing for the tracks like Monaco and Singapore where traffic is a problem in qualifying.

It's just like quater finals, semis and then the final just like matchs are played in Football/Soccer tournaments like the Euros and the World Cup.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

It's not kind of ugly it is very ugly. I would laugh my arse off it Mercedes qualified 19th and 20th tomorrow lol. Can you just imagine? I could see Lewis retiring during the race instead of finishing near the bottom.

Anyone know what Lewis lowest finish is in the Mercedes is on a race day?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I seem (judging by comments online) to be one of the few people who really likes this race. Of course its never going to be an overtaking fest but the sheer skill of getting those cars around those streets as fast as that is incredible. Qualifying in Monaco for me is one of the highlights of the F1 year

Agreed. There's nothing that showcases the speed, accuracy, and skill like an onboard lap of Monaco. It's a true spectacle that, for me at least, more than makes up for the high likelihood of a processional race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I dont care if the Merc is ugly, i just want a bloody race where it isnt a RB 1/2

Hulk damaged his car at the chicane and managed to get back to pits. Red flag now probably to clear debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Albon hit the barrier - session over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm all on for an Alonso win, the Mercs are still slow and Leclerc looks close to have to having a big shunt all the time.

• Advertisement

Alonso looks like he is on it.

This was supposed to be RB's weakest track...and Max is fastest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement