Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing ballcock.

• 25-05-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I was looking for a price to replace an old ballcock in the attic tank,

Plumber came out and said I'd need a new lever valve as well, he's quoted over €500 for replacing both.

Seems outrageous or is that the rate now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Less than 20 euro for both parts, 15 minute job.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Tefral

Wow thats outragious. €250 is the max id give him.

He would be in and out in an hour tops. including the usual 5mins of bullshit talk at the start.

Measure the Diameter of the pipe and go to a plumbing wholesalers and tell them you need the below:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/flomasta-round-ball-float-110mm/350fy

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/ptfe-tape-12m-x-12mm/76841

Thats all you need OP. Kill the water going into the house and you could do it yourself in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

€250 is a fair price by todays standards but for €500 I'd be looking for the tank itself replaced also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreed on all fronts, that is unless there is a hidden pricing factor here which we are not aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭billgibney

Nothing hidden

• Advertisement

Yeah thats mad money.

Source:

I am a Mechanical and Electrical Quantity Surveyor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

It's the know how he is charging for plus he is draining the tank to work over the water. It could take 2 hours to refill and make sure there's no overflow or leak.

Con now its ripoff Ireland ome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Learn to do it yourself. It's pretty straight forward if you are anyway good at DIY.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WuC9uaPzneM&pp=ygUgcmVwbGFjaW5nIGJhbGxjb2NrIGluIHdhdGVyIHRhbms%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did it myself about 4 months ago. Watched a few youtube videos, shut off the water and fitted a new ballcock which was about €15 in heat merchants. Job was done in about 20 minutes, left the attic hatch open for a few hours so I could hear if the flow was going or not. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The tank wouldn’t normally need to be drained to replace a ball cock.

Is there another issue that is being addressed at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Mad money or diy job but give yourself 3 or 4 hours ,riping old fittings have a habit of not sealing aterwards and leave a drip .

What I would do is rip the ball cock in half and just use half of the exact same new one ,job done and no fear of leaks ,there is a red o ring in the joint of the ball cock just make sure this is intact

Id say thats the lever valve thats causing him to have to drain the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Most plumbers wouldn't drain the tank to replace a valve. They would usually plug the outlet from the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Risky interfering with old pipework on a tank in an attic just depending on a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭dunnerc

It is indeed , shocking really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Here’s an idea.

If you don’t think it’s worth paying €500 then don’t get him to do that job.

I know, genius ay.

Did you go to school to learn to be an arsehole or is it all natural?

MOD NOTE: POSTER WARNED FOT THIS RUDE POST

Post edited by Wearb on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

What’s the logic or need to replace lever valve and what is its function? Eitherway, I think you’ve seen the general consensus is he’s robbing you. It’s a very easy DIY job with just basic tools. Even €250 is hard to swallow IMO. €230 for 20mins work. I get it,,,, van, travel time, tax, fuel to job, but still…..I’d say max €175 would be somewhat more palatable.

DIY all the way OP.

Got it done by a plumber for 100 cash

Say the valve is fine. Took under an hour including tidying up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Quay_Koncept

Plumbers are very expensive, I had a plumber in to fix a leaky T junction, an olive had developed a hole, like a worm had eaten a hole through it. Anyway I sent videos on whatsapp and he quoted 95 plus vat, and would add on $$ for any extra work (all cool), he was an hour and charged 195 plus vat "as there was a bit more in it". (Also i noticed he left the old olive on the other side of the compression fitting which I would have assumed is not best practice on such a job. As if one was in such a state it would be safe to assume its twin might be also.

I was paying cash and looked all disapointed when I asked him for an invoice. What was the invoice? He gets an old Aisling school Copy book from his bag and scrolls his name and "works done" 195 plus vat and hands it to me. (Can a hand written note be an invoice? I have no idea) In any event I showed him 2 leaking taps, Outside tap and main water stop valve under kitchen sink. (Both leaking from spindle) I specifically told him they were both leaking from the spindle part. He said he could come back to do this in a few days , repair the outside tap but would have to replace the main water valve tap as its a false economy to replace in case it starts leaking again and its accesiibility, price to do this approx 160 plus vat. A quick look at youtube showed me there was no need to replace any taps at all and how to repair both taps with PTFE took 5 minutes each tap both perfect 😊 saved just under 200 euro. Youtubes your friend :P

In fairness he told you how much to replace the tap & gave sound advice that replacing is better value than repairing as his fee is the lions share of the price quoted. I can't fault him on this tbh.

An invoice can be a piece of paper and he can use crayon if he wants however it needs an invoice number for it to be an invoice. It sounds like he gave you a receipt. This doesn't need an individual number as its just him acknowledging in writing that you paid him. It's your proof of payment /purchase. He doesn't even need to show the VAT. He is only obligated to show the VAT if you make him aware that you are Vat registered yourself. Otherwise X amount plus VAT is perfectly legal

Having said all of that it's not how I would do it. I don't do cash jobs and all clients get a full VAT invoice. It just looks more professional imo

Advertisement