Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah - maybe I'm making the mistake of looking back too much at what I had done prior - when I was obviously Marathon Training.

Lets see what happens!

Catching up:

Monday 5th: easy run - legs a bit meh still - kept it very easy paced.

5m / 8:30 pace

Tuesday 6th: Session 7x1m (90 secs) -

It still amazes me that you can be anxious about a session when you've been batting the sessions out of the park recently - but here we are!!

I got out a bit later than planned and ran to PP as my warm up - I didn't do strides or anything - was chasing daylight!

The route for the session was the familiar OS/Furze, then a couple of laps of the 2m path around the Visitor Center.

After the 1st couple of reps, I wanted to stop - didn't feel comfortable, breathing all over the place, pace felt harder than it should. (6.09/6.04)

I stuck with it and glad I did as I came around to the pace and the legs warmed up and got going - it was actually feeling easier as it went on.

Next few reps were 5.56 / 5.53 / 5.56 / 5.58 / 5.51 (with a sprint finish practice).

Was very happy with this 6/7 reps faster than HM pace - I recall thinking that I could probably do 1 more rep at 6.05 if required - so a positive sign.

11.8m / 6.49 ave

Wed 7th: Legs felt pretty good today - ran down to PP and back up - enjoyed the run.

6.7m / 8.07 pace

Thursday 8th: rest day - thought about going out in the rain - but took a rest day.

Friday 9th: 1 week to race day - what do you do? I settled on a 30E/30St/30E - volume with a bit of intensity.

the 30 steady came in at just under 4.5 miles (6.4x pace)

12.2 miles / 7.20 pace ave

Sat 10th: just couldn't get out - the day got away from me.

Sunday 11th: a few days out from the race and away with work on Mon/Tues - so wanted to get a 'pre-race' workout completed.

Done some strides / 2x1m at HMP with 2 mins rec / 5x200m - I must say the 2x1m felt like 5k effort (5.57/6.01)

7.8m total.

Monday/Tuesday: Away with work - no running.

Wednesday 15th: WU / 7x45 secs/ CD

Probably should have ran the 45sec reps a bit easier as legs felt a bit sore afterwards.

5.1m total

Thursday 16th: Easy few miles - 3.2m - no strides

Friday 17th: Mullingar Half Marathon

Grab a cup of tea 1st - its a long one.

Preamble.

This race was a very interesting race as its the 1st time I've trained specifically for a HM - this training was a bit 2 sided as I was coached upto a certain point then handled my own training after Trim 10m in early Feb.

My training was primarily Tempo/threshold work with a sprinkling of faster stuff - the aim was to get stronger as opposed to getting faster - I felt I had suffered a lot in races in the later stages, which I put down to a lack of strength.

This race had a bit of a hiccup due to a work trip on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday which actually exhausted me for the rest of the week.

I had checked the weather and wind direction for this race and knew it would be sh!tty weather on the day and that the wind would not be helpful for the middle few miles. So I was somewhat prepared (apart from forgetting to pack socks, jocks and a towel for afterwards!)

I got to Mullingar early enough - I had about 45 mins to spare. My breakfast was 2 slices of toast and a Maurten drink on the way down. I'm not great at drinking water prior to races and also have noted that I've felt 'hungry' in some races - so wanted to try this. It worked a treat.

Warm up consisted of just under 2 miles - find the portaloos, back to the car, change the runners and off again. I was going to chance the AlphaFlys - I knew that there was a chance of rain - but still felt they were the best option (wrong choice!).

Amble:

As I changed the runners and put on the MSB Vest - the rain was bucketing down - $hit - I knew there was going to be a risk of blisters with the AF's.

Got to the start line - a few hellos to some of the Mullingar crew who I knew (Evan & Eddie) and took my place in the pack - Fletch and a clubmate 'PF' joined me.

We were set off and I had a good line immediately, not too many runners ahead and all of the required caliber to be ahead.

I'll give my thoughts as the race unfolded as it was certainly a race of 2 halves.

Mile 1&2: - "Sh!t - this is feeling tougher than I thought - was is 6min miles feeling so hard"

As I look now at Strava - I see that we were climbing for the 1st mile - I had planned 6.10 pace for 1st 2 miles while the GAP is 5.55 for mile 1 and 5.56 for mile 2 - so effort levels too high straight away. (6.04/6.03 on the watch)

Mile 3: "Ok - try to settle - get rid of those negative thoughts - remember Elaine talking about "staying in the mile you are in" - well lets do that"

We turned a corner and had stopped climbing - so effort levels came down a bit - I remember thinking that I had 10 miles left - but chastised myself for thinking this - focusing on the current mile, how I was feeling - running by effort now and not by pace. I had made a decision earlier to let the group go ahead - I wasn't feeling it today (already) so knew in my heart that it was the right decision (unlike Trim - which was the wrong decision)

(6.06 for M3)

5k in 18.57

Mile 4/5/6: "This is pretty bad, your not going to PB today, buddy - you've a 10k race in 9 days - so jog it in and dont impact that race - ok - lets keep it going at this pace - get to the turn 1st - then get to 10 miles and reasses."

"I'm glad I'm not doing any longer races over the summer - 5k's/10k's at most."

These 3 miles were kinda hard - but I knew they would be - the wind was in your face and the race was still coming down - I got a feeling in my right big toe of a blister forming. I had my 1st thoughts of DNF'ing here - effort levels were high, blister forming, bad weather, isolated from the group.

I needed to do something - so a simple act of taking off my gloves helped - gives a different sensation - something else for your mind to think of. The wind and rain were still impacting - I found myself trying to protect my toe - but was conscious to try not change my gait too much.

As the pace dropped more in mile 5 & 6 - I made a decision to get to 10 miles and reassess - do a 10 mile run and if you need to jog the last 3 so be it - Deal made. It helped remove the negative thoughts and focus on each mile more and more. The group ahead were getting further ahead - it contained a lady who I raced in the Roscommon 10 in the summer - KK - a very strong runner from Athlone.

During the 6th mile - I was conscious of the pace dropping but knew that the turn was up ahead.

(6.07/6.12/6.15)

5k in 19.15

Mile 7&8: "This is ok - this feels ok - the wind is gone - I'm feeling good - who put that Fcuk!ng flyover there" - "Only 3 miles to 3 miles to go"

This section saw us turn right and we got some respite from the wind - I was suddenly feeling very good and the pace was creeping up. I was catching the group ahead - Jeez - I'm now wanting to pass that group - the watch has moved from 6.20 pace to 6.02 actual pace - lets get going.

Holy God - who put that flyover here - my God - running on the path, its an never ending flyover - I get to the top and theres paths and cars held up and Garda and people around - its a bit stressful here - but we take the turn and use gravity to recover - the group I passed come alongside me - including KK. Mile 8 and the flyover has knocked the stuffing out of me a bit - so I take time to recover - this is my slowest mile.

(6.11 / 6.18)

Mile 9: "Wow - I feel fantastic - lets keep moving - this is a great race, I love racing" - "Must do more longer races - I'm actually loving this"

Mile 9 sees us join the canal Greenway - theres a good crowd giving encouragement here and I actually cant recall if its raining or not. I'm feeling quite good here and am using my arms a bit to push on - I'm ahead of the group and see 2 in front who I target. I cant believe just how good I feel.

(6.03)

5k in 19.09

Mile 10 & 11: "Is that my Quad or my groin? Why are there stones in my shoes? is my blister coming back as I'm trying to avoid the puddles - maybe I should have done some longer runs or even some 20 milers"

I started to feel a tension in my upper left quad / Groin area - wasn't too sure where it was, but I could feel it. Not too sure if it came as a result of the Blister changing my gait or was from a lack of endurance as the pace got tough. Either way - it was impacting my race and I couldn't keep pushing - I needed to manage it. I recall feeling something similar a few yrs back in Dungarvan 10.

The Canal Greenway is a poor surface for running - avoiding potholes with puddles, lots of little stones - I had a good few in my shoes but daren't stop to remove them as I felt I wouldn't get going again. Managing the quad/groin was important now.

(6.11 / 6.20)

Mile 12: "Nearly there - 13-14 more mins of running at most - just get through this mile"

The group that I passed were now alongside me again - I had heard people telling KK that she was 3rd lady - I was telling her to push on and keep hold of 3rd. And that she did as she plowed on!

I could feel the groin/quad shouting at me and I could feel the blister in my big toe screaming at me. Lets just get home.

(6.14)

Mile 13: "just finish this thing - I dont have a sprint 'cos I cant sprint, I'm sore, I'm wet - just get me to the finish line"

As the mile went on the pace was accelerating - we left the greenway and were into the town now - a few turns to navigate and was told by a Guard that we were on the home straight. I could still see a couple in front of me but wouldn't catch them.

(6.09)

5k in 19:31

Mile 13.16: "I dont believe it"

We came to a park entrance and turned left - I could now make out the gantry but couldn't see it properly - I actually had no idea what time I was in for - for a moment I thought eh clock read 1.22 but when I looked closer I saw 1.21.10 / 1.21.11 / 1.21.12 and I couldn't believe it.

I thought I had bled too much time - I was actually within a few seconds of a PB - I crossed the line in 1.21.16 and very content with that. Actually, no, very happy with that given how I felt earlier and having the groin/quad thing going on.

Was like a drowned rat at the finish line amongst other drowned rats - all our legs were full of little stones and dirt from the greenway. At that point I remembered not having spare jocks/socks etc - ah well.

I didn't do a cool down - just walked to the HQ with my MSB buddy PF and got a change of t-shirt - I met Rob Brown (formally of these parts who I raced with in Rotterdam).

Changed in the car - cursing that I hadn't got a towel with me. My legs were filthy and my top and shorts were soaked.

I checked the official results and was quite chuffed to see I was 2nd M50 (behind the Legendary Eddie N) - that really perked me up - I briefly considered going back to HQ but it was really chucking it down and I didn't want to get drowned a 2nd time - so just headed for home.

Post Amble:

My last few HM's that I raced were 121.16 today / 1.21.08 (Sept 21) / 1.21.41 (Mar '20) - so I'm somewhat consistent.

For the 1st time in a while (ever?) I was quite content with a HM race. I felt I had given it all and was very happy that I could change gears and run a 6.03 on the 9th mile and only a tension in my groin/quad curtailed my gallop.

It wasn't the slog I had in Ratoath during the summer and while that was a faster race (by 8 seconds) - this was a better performance - a more rounded performance.

At the start of the year I mentioned that I wanted to run a sub 80 HM - well, it would have been a stretch too far today - even if I had not got any issues with the quad, I may have ran a 1.20 high.

However - I do know that my tempo training certainly works and my strength is coming back.

I'm excited now to bring in some faster work coupled with the tempos/TH stuff in the coming weeks.

But 1st - recover and get ready for a 10k on March 26th.

Mullingar HM

1.21.16 / 47th place / 2nd M50 / and quite a content auld man tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done Alan. Sounds like a very tough race but you did great to keep going. You could have used quite a few excuses to stop and it’s good to see you were pleased with yourself after. You deserve to be. Did you get a prize for 2nd M50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah brilliant, A, you certainly ran the gamut of emotions there, and what a performance in the end in what sound like pretty horrendous conditions. What a great result! Super report too. Love that bit about removing the gloves, I've done things like that myself (although rarely as effectively). Top man, as you say yourself. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done ! A great read

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Love the internal dialogue! Well done, great race, loads of positives from that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Well done on PB in Mullingar. You toughed that one out in sub par conditions.

Read your message on my log earlier, wasn't going to wrote report report up there now

(or here actually https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120380148/#Comment_120380148 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done A, a brilliant race & report to match it!

Glad someone listens to me🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Dunboyne 10k

The week leading upto this race was a bit weird - how do I approach it after the HM on 17th? I was away on Sun/Mon with wifey so just done a few miles on Tues PM and Wed. Done a mini session on Thursday (5x20secs/5x2mins/5x20secs) - which in hindsight was probably the wrong thing to do as my Hammys were shouting at me right upto Sunday morning. Another day off on Friday and a shakeout on Saturday.

The lack of structure and miles makes you feel like you are getting very unfit and very fat! I'm not a fan!!

I left my house about 11:15 for a race that starts at 12 - had all the gear with me in case of rain, but didn't need it.

Ran upto the start line and a few strides, said hello to the 'Raheny Three' from these parts and lined up next to ScotinDublin.

The start was slightly delayed and we were set off in the most unceremonious way - no whistle, no gun - just a 'Go' which wasn't even a shout.

I had checked the route and wind direction prior to the race and knew the 1st 3 miles would have a tail wind and the final 2 with a headwind - thankfully the wind didn't prove too much of a hindrance today - but it was a fast start.

Went through the village feeling comfortable enough - worried that I was too fast, but I didn't want any 'what if's' at the end. Its early in the season and theres plenty of races to come.

Mile 1: 5.44

We joined the BHAA 5m route (sadly no more) at this stage and turned left - I was still feeling ok and noted how far Craig was up ahead along with my MSB buddy RG.

Mile 2: 5.49

As we approached the 3rd mile, I was thinking of slowing down a bit and running the next 4 miles at 6's - this would give me close to a 37min time - but I discounted that and said to keep going. We turned left again and all was good in the world.

Mile 3: 5.49

I crossed over 5km in 17.58 and knew that it would be a tough ask to keep the pace going, especially with a difficult mile at 4-5 to come. (Its always been the slowest stretch each time I do the BHAA 5m). But I was prepared for it.

At about 3.5 miles - I was leading our group and feeling it slightly, so I moved aside and let some of the others take the lead and tried to tuck in - it only resulted in them moving on and my pace dwindling. I hadn't even reached the difficult part yet and I was feeling it.!

Mile 4: 5.56

This next mile stretch went on forever - its not even uphill but has a little drag and is into the wind (not a very strong wind though) and the demons were shouting at me. I was really feeling the fatigue in the legs - a lot different to the Lactate I was feeling in Raheny - this was pure fatigue, heavy legs - like mile 24 in a Marathon - minus the cramps.

I really wanted to stop and jog it in, but I was still moving - I started to use my arms a bit more - theres a thing I do where I pump the arms and act like I'm pulling on a rope (a trick an old MSB coach told us for hills) - my pace increases slightly and I keep it going. There are people passing me now and no matter what - I cant go with them - its a case of maintaining it and trying to keep it together.

Mile 5: 6.08 (felt a lot slower) I went through 5m in 29.26 - 20 seconds faster than Raheny in late Jan.

As we're approaching the last mile - I can hear the announcer on the mic and gives me a little lift - the legs are getting heavier - I see a person stop ahead and I shout at him to keep going (I was actually also talking to myself as I wanted to stop!) At this stage, I'm trying to do the sums in my head to see if I'm on for a sub 37 or not, but my brain isn't working that well.

I see the 9k marker and know the turn for the track is up ahead - there's a good crowd around now and plenty of shouts and cheers.

Mile 6: 6.11

The finish on the track is sweet - I've taken over a couple of guys who passed me at 4m but one comes back strong in the last 200. I'm pumping the arms and trying to get the legs to respond - I'm also regretting taking that beet it shot this morning :) -

I can see the clock moving in the high 36's and push it for the last 50m or so - making it in under the 37.

0.21: 5.33 pace

10k in 36.52

I hung around the track to watch Elaine and Murph finish - while both got PB's only Murphs face registered it - Elaine looked like she ran a $h!te race but told me she had a big PB!!

Great to catch up with the Raheny Three and a lot of others - my favourite part of racing!

Overall a great race - I'd seriously recommend it - I'll definitely be putting it on the calendar next year and wont be doing a HM prior to it :)

I do not like Sunday races - but for this one, I'll make an exception going forward.

Well done A, nice solid race from you!

Haha I need to work on my facial expressions more🙈 I was thrilled with my PB & more than that my performance! Will do cartwheels next time😉

Really nice to chat to you afterwards!

Nice one, Alan, great to see you looking suave in that Size 10 MSB singlet again. Excellent account of the race, that difficult mile five was a b$tch alright. Well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great effort after Mullingar and thanks for pointing out where the correct pre race toilets were 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

And you wonder why I can never figure out if you're actually happy 🤣

🤣🤣🤣as I said I shall work on my facial expressions going forward 😉

This has probably been my biggest time away from Boards since I started running - and I didn't miss it 1 bit! I also took a step back from Strava for a month and that was also fantastic.

Not too sure what updates will come in the future or if it'll only be race reports or maybe neither?

Since late March, training has been going very well - consisting of;

10k paced intervals: 8x1km / 6x1200 / 4x5mins (after a 3mT) / 10-8-6-4-2 mins at 10k

Longer Tempos: 3m+2m / 6m at 6.20 / 5m at 6.08 / 60mins at 6.20

Smidgin of V02: 3(3/2/1) / 3x1km + 3x800 + 3x600

I've been managing a mild form of Plantar Faciitious (poor shoe choice) / had a groin strain for a few days / some knee niggles (new shoes with support and off the shelf orthotics causing me knee issues!) - but I have these under control now - I think.

Mileage been around 48-52 mpw

No races in this time period as I wanted to get stuck into training.

Bob Heffernan / Mary Hanley 5k - 16th May 2023

I ran this race once before and really liked it, so had it penciled in an an introduction to the shorter stuff.

I had tapered for this, mainly due to some knee pain from dodgy show choices to help with PF + a very old pair of VF's being used on sessions (which are now binned). I done a good session on Sat of 4(200/400) + 800 - which really woke up the legs.

When I woke on Tuesday - my legs felt sensational - probably the best they've felt in quite a while.

I felt 17:30 would be a good result for the 1st 5k of the year. My plan was to start at 5.40-5.45 and work down.

Made my way to Enfield in good time and set off on a warm up towards the start line, doing some strides before hand - bumping into Beep Beep and DD along the way.

The start line was a bit carnage, the road wasn't closed so it was a bit of a $h!t show to get a good position - I didn't even know where the starting point was! I was about 6 rows back - maybe more - me and my buddy David Gillick rubbing elbows. I thought once it started, the front few rows would come back right away - but how wrong I was.

It was like charge of the light brigade. The one thing everyone was saying at the finish was - I ran the 1st mile/ km too fast!

After a couple hundred meters, I checked the watch - 5.15 pace - slow down there pal.

I could see some of my team mates up ahead - a good bit ahead - I knew I'd see them again :)

I was feeling very comfortable at 5.30 pace - so decided to keep at it and see how it goes - if I blew up, so be it. We came to the 1st turn just after the 1st KM, some guy decides to cut across and nearly trips up about 6 people.

We keep going and I know this is a long road to the next turn - so I settle in - Mile 1 beeps at 5.29. (a long way off 5.45!)

I find the group I'm with getting complacent as the time dips a bit, so I move out, overtake and latch onto the next group - I'm behind my MSB buddy a young whipper snapper who beat Lizzy Lee in the Road Relays - she went out a bit fast (but she still ran a PB) - I overtake her and come along to another MSB runner - my long run buddy who I infamously led the wrong way in a Car Track 5k in Mondello during Covid - I go by her and dont say a word, just focused on the next target, the languid running style of DD - he looks like hes out for a morning jog, smoking a pipe while reading the paper. I'm a good bit behind him, so I focus on Maria McCambridge - I had a good battle with her 4 yrs ago here (I wonder if she's thinking the same about me?)

I recall checking my watch and seeing 1.5miles gone - I was feeling very comfortable and thoughts of a PB entered my head - I was doing the calculations.....Before I know it - Mile 2 has beeped at 3.37. At the time I was quite happy with that, but looking back I wonder if I could have eeked out another few seconds here. The effort levels are very very high here - I get the demons here for a few seconds - trip yourself up, slow down, say your knee was at you.........I ignore them - not today lads - this will be a good one.

The next few hundred meters go ok - moving nicely, waiting for the turn to 1km to go. The turn comes and I notice an immediate increase in energy around me, I get caught up in it as well and looking back at my pace profile, theres a significant uptick here - I was running 5.40's for 2 mins of the 3rd mile and then jump right up. 3 and a half mins to go. 3 mins to seeing the gantry. lets go.

I'm passing a good few people still - 1 or 2 come passing by me. I catch Maria McC and motor on - David Gillick is in my sights - DD is too far ahead, having pushed on too. The effort is nearly maxed out - no idea what pace I'm running but I'm redlining.

I spot a 500m to go sign - 90 secs or so I tell myself - keep pushing - looking back - mile 3 was a very very good 5.32, very happy with that and I push on. I see the gantry counting down, Gillick has pushed on ahead of me - 17.10/ 17.11 / 17.12 - I cross the line with 17.17 on the clock and know that I have a PB - delighted - did not see that coming!!

Official time of 17.15 - a 5 second PB. Delighted to be still PB'ing at 50.

5.29/5.37/5.32/ (5.08 for 0.12)

a 17.15 time gets me 131st place / 7th M50 - just shows what a quality race it is.

Great to meet up with so many people from here afterwards - a few miles cooldown with the MSB group and head off for home with a happy head on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

This has probably been my biggest time away from Boards since I started running - and I didn't miss it 1 bit!

FWIW Boards has missed you ☺️

Congrats on the brillaint PB! I have a lot of hope for my 50s 😎

Well done on the PB, brilliant stuff 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Lovely run Alan well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

What a cracking race, and a cracking read too. Well done A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done in the PB. That’s great going. How’s the PF now?

"We are Boardsies and this is the game. Bring it on!"

With Murph channeling his inner Aragorn - my Boards time may one day come to an end.........But it is not this day!

General Update: Really enjoying racing this summer!!

Injury Update:

I was having some knee niggles in the past - but seem to have a good handle on this - no issues last few weeks.

My PF is still hanging around - not in a bad way - but noticable - not even sure it is PF, could be heel spurs, must go to a Physio :)

Races Updates:

2 races of note + 1 bit of fun since my last update;

May 30th: Govt Services 5m (BHAA) -

overheated quite a lot midway through - had to stop for a mid race puke about 3.5m in (blame the beetroot juice as my stomach wasn't great for 2 days due to it). Got back on it and salvaged a sub 30 performance (29.42)

Won an old man prize as well - so overall - not a bad days work :)

June 6th: Dresden Rewe 5k.:

I was away with work in Germany and was in the office about 2 mins when I was asked - "do you have your runners with you".

Transpired this 'Corporate race' was in 2 hours time, spent about 1 hour of that fighting traffic to get to the race - got ready in the car and made the startline at 8.30pm. The race had 25,000 entries and had staggered starts - we started at 8.30 - so spent the entirety of the race dodging, weaving and running on some cobbles - a wonderful event and a great memory - the finish in the stadium was fantastic. Timewise it was 19.37 - but felt harder due to the constant weaving. No super shoes today :) - felt like a bit of a superstar in the office as breaking 20 is a big deal for them.

June 17th: Dunshaughlin 10k

This was originally a target race for me - but with the heat/humidity and my experience of the Dunboyne BHAA - I wasn't fully committed to it.

Worth noting that I had 'bigged up' the climb on this race to 'Everest like' proportions and when it came it was like 'meh'! I also remembered from previous races there been a very long drag on the 5th mile but didn't even notice it on the day. A funny moment when a running buddy (also a Dunshaughlin runner) past me with about 1 mile/1200m to go saying - 'its all downhill now - push on' - I remember thinking - no, theres 1 more hill left!

Anyway - some good miles in here but a poor 5th mile (6.04) as I lost focus (or maybe it was the drag :) ) - I finished 36.47 - happy enough.

Training Update:

Training has been somewhat inconsistent and a very unfocused since Bob Heffernan 5km - there's an element of "What am I training for" in there as I have 5k's / 10k's and a HM as well as wanting to start training for Valencia in good shape - all while doing Dublin Marathon and planning around 2 seperate holidays.

Had I of been logging here - there would have been so many flip flops going on regarding targets and training plans. My head was as messy as my daughters bedroom.

So - I had a mental clear out, reset my ego and done the following;

• Took my DCM refund - thats now off the table.
    • Recommitted my goal to Charleville HM - now not a target race - but a Marathon indicator (Sub 80 Jitters are now off he table and can focus on Valencia)
    • The 'Main Thing' is Valencia in December - sub 2.50
    • Next few weeks will be focused on getting longer runs back and doing some tempos
    • Also have St Cocoas 5k on Friday and Fingal 10k 16th July.
    • Training for Valencia starts Early August - focus on Tempos and extending the long run until Charleville.
    • Stronger emphasis this Valencia block on 'Steady' running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hey A, just wondering where 'steady' is for you in terms of pace relative to MP or in HR percentages?

There's a range in there - what I have in mind is;

Days before sessions - steady run at lighter end of the spectrum - maybe 7.15 pace (MP+45 secs)

On Long steady runs - maybe starting off at 7.15, some miles at 7 and working down to 6.50's. (MP will be 6.25-6.30)

So I guess its between MP+20 and MP+45.

Great idea to take DCM off the table I reckon. We'll be expecting an extra shout in Castleknock so.

That's a good description of your steady range - I'd agree with it from a pace POV, although I prefer to be use HRR as the yardstick.

Nice work there. 25,000 runners for a 5k is some craic!

Some good sessions since the Dunshaughlin 10k;

1E/2ST/2MP/2HMP/2MP/2St/1E - love these types of sessions - nice longer runs, no recoveries and keeping the effort is right area.

2E/3ST/ 5x1k(5k) / 5x200/ 4E - another longer session - worked out at 13.1 miles. The steady miles tire the legs for the faster 5x1k - my fastest rep was the last one. Really liked this session and will do something similar in Marathon training (just not 5k paced intervals).

5x30secs / 5x3min at CV / 5x15 secs - took 45secs recovery on 3min reps (5m'ish pace'ish sort of'ish). The 5x15secs at the end is a good one for fiber recruitment as the Slow twitch's are all fatigued by then.

So thats a race and 3 tough sessions in 10 days - but as stated earlier - my training was a bit all over the place and now I have a good groove and enjoying the tough sessions - I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

For the week leading up to St Cocoas 5k - I was shattered - I didn't really mind as it wasn't a goal race in any way and the forecasted wind was going to put a dent in any performance, along with the humidity. I also done the 5x3min CV session on the Monday prior to the race - so I had a bucket of excuses :)

I did consider not racing and just training instead - but then what are we training for!

St Cocoas 5k: Kilcock Friday June 30th

I had done this race previously and have vivid memories of it being a tougher than expected run - all the talk of a fast course etc etc brought ne back to it.

I arrived in Kilcock about 7.20 - 40 mins prior to the race start - parked on the track and warmed up - great organisation it must be said. Met plenty from here on the WU and then headed out a bit with a club mate. I gave my clubmate 2 pieces of advice - "dont go out too quick" and "sprint at the end - that last 200m you can save 5-6 seconds off your time". Yeah right..............

After a manic startline (small road, van parked up, 600 people trying to get close to the tape) - we were set off. I've used 'Runalyze' to get a breakdown of my km splits (I'm still using miles on my watch).

The 1st K is slightly up a drag as you go over the flyover - its also a headwind for the initial bit before you turn into the 'forest section'. On this 1st K - I'm trying to start conservatively and am very boxed in - so thats helping with the conservative start. As we move more into the forest path - the race opens up and we find our lines.

1st KM: 3.26 (Bob Heff 1st KM was 3,19 for comparison)

My watch was going a bit gaga in the forest and I'd no idea of pace as it was going from 6.30's to 5.15's per mile, bloody trees. I did feel myself speed up a bit though as I was trying to catch people up ahead. For a moment I considered if I could keep the pace going but decided to take my medicine and not get greedy.

KM 2: 3.22

Onto the 3rd km, We go over another flyover (I think) here and there's a nice flat slightly downhill nature - but the legs are starting to shout at me, they shout so loud that they wake the demons. "pretend your hammy tightens up" - "trip yourself up and say someone clipped your heel"- are the 2 re-occurring things in my head.

Its a horrible feeling but I'm doing the mind games in my head - 2.5k left to go - thats less than 1 loop of the North road, C'Field loop. 1 lap of the triangle (OS/Furze) - I pass the 3rd KM marker and say out loud - '7 mins left'.

KM 3: 3.32

In a world of pain now - really feeling the effort. Why did I do that session on Monday? Why am I racing - I could be in the pub? Why did I give up my wedding anniversary night out on Thurs night (I've an understanding wife). Just keep moving.

KM 4: 3.29

We turn for the last KM - past the houses on our left, probably the longest finishing straight in the history of finishing straights. I feel like I'm slowing down - I can hear the finish line up ahead - I've no real recollection if I passed anyone or if many passed me - I just want it done - theres a bit of a headwind here too - I recall a tiny drag about 600m from the end, it really felt like a mountain.

I can see the finish line now, but cannot make out the time - I've no idea what it'll be - that sprint I talked about earlier, I'm trying, but theres not much there - the legs are very heavy - so much for my earlier advice.

Finally I cross the line - absolutely spent.

KM 5: 3.29

I dont think I've ever spent as much time on the ground after a race as I did after this one. The sweat was pouring out of me, signs of the humidity.

A check of the watch shows a 17.26 time on the watch (17.27 official) and 6th in my age category (even though 5th was slower on Chip time :) )

A nice 4m warmdown in the drizzle with a clubmate was very welcome, before heading home to a nice IPA or 2.

A couple of things about this race;

(1) It was very enjoyable - despite how my report reads!

(2) A superb field was present - a 17.27 gets me 155th place

(3) It was humid and slightly windy - despite the 2 course records going - the general consensus among my 16 strong clubmates was that it was a tough night.

(4) viewing the race in KM splits gives a much different view of the race than when viewed in Miles.

Mile splits: 5.28 / 5.36 / 5.42 (5.19 pace for 0.12) (General view based on the splits - got much slower and it was painful)

KM Splits: 3.26/ 3.22 / 3.32 / 3.29 / 3.29 (gives a more balanced view of how the race unfolded with the faster 2nd km and I did hang on in the last 2km, despite how I felt.)

Next up - I was due to do the Fingal 10k, but some talk amongst my clubmates of getting a contingent in the National 10 mile a week later (I'm not doing both!).

June finished with 190 miles - a lower return, but given a work trip and a couple of races - its understandable.

2 sessions and a steady run in the week just gone, some recovery and easy runs in there with a rest day on Sat.

Tues 4th July: 5mile easy / 4x40 secs / 2x2m Tempo / 4x15 secs

Aim here was a tempo on tired'ish legs - I knew I'd still have Fridays 5k hanging over me, but set out anyway - the initial 5mile to make them tiredererer.

I had thought about doing 3 reps, but after 2 reps I was done. Sprints went well enough.

Just under 12 miles for the session.

Thurs 6th July: 1E / 7 Steady / 6x30secs

The aim of this run was to tire the legs in advance of tomorrows MP session. So my MP would feel like it was starting at Mile 8 or so.

Steady pace was about 7 min/miles.

The 6x30secs actually help the legs recover from the Steady paced run - ran these about tempo pace.

Friday 7th July: 3E / 10m Mara 'effort' / 2E

I did do some work on recovery after the steady session yesterday and on Friday. Plenty of stretching and the right foods as well as a good nights sleep.

I planned to do this on the Nat 10m route - with my WU & CD from the house. (Its a horrific route!)

Effort was there throughout (wore the HRM) but paces for latter miles dropped - heat, wind and fatigue - a potent combination!

15 miles total - very happy with the distance and effort at this stage.

Sunday: Nice group of 4 of us - 70 mins - 9 miles.

56 miles for the week - highest mileage in a while!

Still not sure if I'm racing or pacing the Fingal 10k next week. - I'll be there anyway!

Mon: Easy paced run with a few strides - I had a small niggle last week in the glute/ upper Hammy and was a bit more pronounced at the start of the run - was fine by the end.

5.5m

Tues: Legs felt very tired on WU prior to session - glute was a bit better, so decided to plough on with the session. 4x40secs + 5x1m + 4x40secs.

The 4x40secs went well - didn't push too much - about 5k pace. - Straight into the 5x1m Tempo - this went really well - took 90-120 secs recovery.

Reps were: 5.59 / 6.02/ 5.57/ 5.57 / 6.05 - quite happy with it - didn't do the 4x40secs at the end as could feel the glute a bit.

Wed: Easy run - 5m at 8.26 pace - plenty of foam rolling and rolling on a big sliothar - the arse is a difficult one to get into!!

Thurs: Decision day - do an easy run and race Fingal 10k or do a session and pace Johnny?

Ran from the house and the glute was crying a bit at the start but settled down - I done 60 mins steady as a full lap of the park - probably a bit too fast but the heart rate was in a really good place.

Really felt the glute/hammy on the cool down home.

11m @ 7.16 pace.

Friday: Didn't run - foam rolling / Sliothar rolling / Stretching

Sat: No running: As per Friday!

Sunday: Fingal 10k - Was in 2 minds if I should do this at all - but felt much better after 2 days non running and all the foam rolling.

Plan was to pace Healy to a sub40 10k - seems strange saying that for a 35min 10k guy - but here we are!

Met Johnny in Swords and done a 2m warm up with a few strides. No real niggles present from the glute, but I knew it was there.

Had a bit of a delay with the start so we spent 20+ mins in the starting pen - not great prior to a 10k.

I was taking this pacing gig serious - I changed my watch over to metric and all!

We knew that the 1st k was slightly uphill then a good down hill piece - I also knew that the wind would be a factor between 3.5k-5.5k - so we were prepared for that if the pace dropped.

The 1st 5km went by uneventfully: 3.53/3.54 / 3.56 / 4.00/ 3.59 - the wind a slight factor in K's 4&5 as predicted.

The 6th & 7th k we picked it up slightly - both 3.53's - I could feel the glute shouting a bit at me. On the 7th or 8th km we noted that Mr Healy's lace was open - Its unfathomable that a person could have so many issues with laces in races and still get it wrong. What is even more bizarre was that when I was doing my laces (the Wilson way - from a prior coach) - I said to myself that I must mention it to Johnny when I seen him. I forgot.

The 9th KM we picked it up again - I was encouraging Johnny to keep it going as the park was a bit of a headmelt. We came onto the road and we knew that we only had 4 or 5 mins left of running - we picked it up slightly again.

Coming along the 400 to go sign, Healy makes a move and starts to push and gets over the line in 39.17 - a quite satisfactory 'Comeback PB'

Really enjoyed that - it was a great workout for me as I really felt it given the 2 midweek runs I had done.

10k in 39.17 (5th O50 :) )

Need to sort out this niggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great to see you there today A and give you the shout, I knew you must have been pacing someone, raging I didn't cop it was Johnny.

Advertisement