Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro d'Italia 2023

• 08-05-2023 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭

Chat about setting this up in the race thread so here it is.

Stage 1 winner: Remco Evenepoel

Stage 2 winner: Jonathan Milan

Stage 3....

A climbing sprinters stage by the looks of things although you could see a late break from a fast puncheur. There's a 10% section toward the end where somebody could go.

I'd suspect it's between Pederson, Groves, Matthews and Magnus Cort.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So was Remco right to call out Groves? Elbows towards a finish are a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

2 gone up the road, can hear the pain in the commentators voices as they have 200 odd kms to talk about nothing with not even a decent breakaway to discuss the members of

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Remco loves a good whinge, he was complaining throughout the whole Vuelta last year as well.

Pedersen for me today, the climbs at the end should shed most of the natural sprinters, and Trek missed out completely yesterday with the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

About 160km to be fair. The last 40km could be very decent if a team fancies making it hard

You have to feel sorry for the two lads who wanted 10 more to join them though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any idea on when today's stage would be expected to finish - 330? 4? Later?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

in the article linked below, it says 5:15 CET, which I think is 2 hours ahead of GMT...so 3:15 for us, but watching the roll out they were a bit behind so there is that

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/preview-giro-ditalia-2023-stage-3-pedersen-and-matthews-the-main-favourites-for-hilly-day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pretty sure CET is one hour ahead of us.

I was sure of that aswell but I typed "cet to gmt" in to google search and it came back with 'Central European Time is 2 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time'

I typed it in as time calculations wouldn't be my strong point, daylight savings hour goes back or forward is like honours maths for me working out what time it would be in the morning. Smart phones are my saviour when they automatically update.

Anyway yeah i was sure it was 1 hour and someone will come on here to point out where I fcuked up

Yeah it's messy. We are on GMT+1 during the summer (post hour forward) period and then back on GMT when we go back an hour in the autumn. GMT remains a constant regardless of the time of year.

Thanks for that. Bit embarrasing to be at this stage of my life and asking such things, but never too old to learn.

so during the winter there's a two hour difference between Dublin and Rome and one in the summer?

• Advertisement

No. Always a one hour gap. Both countries observe daylights saving time

Ok thanks, back to the cycling so...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Was just looking at the climbs at the end. I fancied Pederson too but there's a nasty section on the cat 3 climb where the gradient hits 10% at one stage. We know both Roglic and Remco like their stage wins and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of them go on a steep section and the other one follow. This would destroy any sprint trains. You've got a cat 4 after that which would help them if they do go, sprinters will be tired after the cat 3. The finish is hilly too.

From Eurosport/GCN there, the road into the finish looks very greasy

Deserved win for the team who gave the stage everything

The Team Jayco tactics and hard work of the likes of Dunbar and Scotson drilling it pay off for Michael Matthews.

Deserved win indeed although Pedersen might not be happy with that slight deviation towards the end.

Yeah I thought Pedersen was going to pip him but that movement knocked him off his rhythm.

Pedersen can have no complaints IMO. Wasn’t a swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

If anybody is to have complaints it is probably Groves against his teammate Oldani blocking him in and forcing him to slow.

• Advertisement

In the end, Healy was 21st and Eddie was 26th

Eddie up to 19th on GC and Healy up to 32nd.

Tomorrow looks like one for a strong break

Remco to look to give the Jersey away? Pinot has set out his stall for KOM, if he gets in the break tomorrow and it stays away he could end up in pink

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 4....

Likely a breakaway. This is a big opportunity for Ben Healy as the GC contenders will be happy to let the break go and give away the Maglia Ross.

Unless a GC threat gets in the group the breakaway will take it. The profile of the stage just looks really good for Ben.

Of course the Italians will want to take this and have the leader's jersey for a few days. I'd consider Ulissi, Rota, Fortunato and Albanese as the Italians most likely.

Outside of those I think McNulty, Buitrago and Zana deserve consideration.

Thing is anybody could win it so long as they are not considered a GC threat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stage is made for Healy. McNulty looked goosed yesterday.

I expect a break full of smaller teams plus some potential stage winners to get away.

I expect at least 2 rider from Green Project-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè to be in the break. My new favourite team..... what a name!! Filippo Magli is in my fantasy team so I'm hoping he goes for it today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

One slight hitch is that yesterday Pinot showed he wants the Maglia Azzurra so he may go with the break and while he isn't the threat he used to be GC wise I can't see him being allowed too much time.

Healy determined to be in the break here

Over 50k and no break

fcuk sake Barguil, I have you in my Fantasy cycling team, get your act together

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eddie is lurking up near the front of the peloton... I wonder will he put in an attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Flashbacks to the Sky train days there seeing Ineos driving the whole way up the climb with 5 of them at the front

Advertisement