Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete drinkers.

• 05-04-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Putting in some drinkers fed with 32mm or some 3/4 pipe. Think 40 gallon should do me. Are there any that stand out above others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Murphys

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Have few spillanes here well made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

+1 for Spillane's. They supply all the tirlans and terra water trough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yep another vote for Spillane's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Same vote for Spillanes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭DBK1

What makes Spillanes stand out from the rest? I have 4 or 5 to get so genuinely interested. Mainly Murphy’s you’d see around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have Murphy's They are a grand trough. They come with ballcock and a stopcock fitting which is worth 15-20 euro.

I got the 70/80 gallon ( not sure which they were rated) as they were only about 30ish/trough more expensive than the 40 gallon after vat reclaimed. I bought four from Kerry co-op they delivered them.

Make sure what ever trough you get that the bung hole is not in the floor, side much better to drain and clean trough.

One advantage with Murphy is the rounding on the edges will push ice up out of the trough. Not but even during the big freeze (2009/10) I never saw a concrete trough damaged. Not sure who made the previous ones I bought. Concrete troughs are hard to beat no getting pulled all over the place if they are empty

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Build quality ,two brothers set up one does the making and the other the selling apparently go and see them there in a lot of the coop stores yards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I see nothing wrong with the build quality of the Murphy's. Admittedly they have no central spine walls and use a cover to protect the ball cock as opposed to the spine walls. However the area between the spine walls was a dirt collector and virtually impossible to clean out

The finish on the Murphy's is excellent. Other than that they will all have a steel mesh frame so I cannot see any difference in build quality than the spine walls which are dirt collectors.

I see a lot of dairy lads moving over to Murphys I say because of the ease of cleaning. The bung pushes into the tank as well. Battery power washer will bring a lot of the muck.out of the bottom

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

I put the Murphy drinkers in a couple of years ago. Happy with them.

I sat them down perfectly level.

However there was always a bit of water lying in them when not used as the drain hole is 5-10 mm above floor.

This leads to scum building up when not used, so this year I raised them on the other side just enough so most of the water drains away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement