Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mills gone means they are happy with Bledsoe and I'll be happy to see him get his opportunity. I think he's good enough.

Just like Smith-Schuster I'm not at all excited by the Gesicki signing. He's a player who seems to have been very inconsistent from what I've seen of him. If we'd have signed Dalton Schultz I'd have been excited.

That Rock Ya Sin, ex Raider, is still available, he'd be a nice signing for the secondary.

You've got some good veterans our there too like Melvin Engram and Frank Clark who'd be good to bring in for a year for the younger players.

I presume Chris Board is a ST'er? I've heard of him but nothing of note in a couple of games for the Ravens. I see he was with the Lions last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Seems like the Gesicki and Juju deals are pretty team friendly. I'm liking the moves so far... nothing too flashy, but solid improvements in depth, especially on offense.

From what I've read Board is a stud ST player, but not a complete non-entity at LB either - he'll see some snaps there.

From the visits and rumours they are still looking for a Safety in particular. We do seem particularly light on DBs, especially after the Mills release.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

Mills back, which I'm not surprised at. I know I didn't say it at the time, but I was wondering if it was a cut and resign type scenario.

Must take time to acknowledge High officially retiring yesterday. I would view him as being the key piece in the start of the second leg of the dynasty, and one of those rare occasions were Bill went aggressive in the draft. Of course, I don't need to recap his impact in big games. Hopefully, he gets the one-day contract treatment, he'd totally deserve it, and I imagine he'll make the Pats HOF too.

On draft notes, I saw someone's mock on nfl.com having the Patriots taking a RB at 14. Whilst I have to acknowledge their attempt at replicating Bill's zigging when everyone's zagging on draft day, I'd like to state for the record that even if Emmet Smith, Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson were available, I would be horrified if we did that!

Anybody thinking that Bill would draft a RB in the first round shouldn't have a job. Not only do we have a great one in Rhamondre Stevenson but there's no chance Bill would ever draft a RB in the first. He's always look to find value later in the draft for that position.

Aglohor gone to the ravens, a case of addition by subtraction. The guy was always just a footstep away from a fumble or a bobble. Part of me wonders if it was just a scheme thing, in La I think he was catching more balls over the top of a defence whereas here he seemed to be catching/ dropping/ bobbling/ fumbling balls on intermediate routes in the teeth of the defence. You would think he would adapt, but just wonder if that was a factor in his averageness.

• Advertisement

He had one good season with the Raiders. He was pretty ordinary with the Eagles. 2021 with us, under 500 yards, was his fourth best season in the eight he's been in the league. He's never had 900 yards in a season.

I didn't like us signing him, he'll do nothing with the Ravens either.

I'm gonna predict we take Jaylon Jones with our second or third round pick. He's a cornerback and as we know the Patriots can never have enough Joneses in the secondary. 😁

Now if I'm wrong about that then there's a projected six rounder called Jack Jones but signing him might cause confusion.

We've been hit and miss on CBs named Jones', Cyrus Jones anyone? If we did take a Jones, they might just end up balancing our Jones quotient if Mike Florio is to be believed.

On that note, I hadn't given much head to the Lamar talk at the time, as I just thought it would be too much for the organisation to take on financially and pickwise. However, if we could move Mac for a 2nd (I don't think we'd get a first for him after last season), we could probably package that with our other 2nd to maybe get a mid-1st, so maybe we could pay that price. Kraft has publicly mentioned Lamar and said money would never be an issue in seperate statements, which makes me think he wouldn't be against moving Mac if it was to get Lamar. I think Bill would be well up for this, Lamar could definitely push the timetable on passing Shula's record to just 2 seasons, and Bill wouldn't have to deal with the fallout thereafter, plus if his relationship with Mac is as fractured as is being suggested, I just don't see any coming back from that. Swinging for the fences on Lamar could seal his legacy if it works out, hanging his legacy on repairing and succeeding with Mac seems much more tenuous (not saying he won't, but Lamar would seem like a much quicker solution).

Assuming the roster stays broadly the same if Lamar arrived, I would think that Lamar could instantly make us contenders. Personally, I'm not his greatest fan but even I can recognise the dual threat would be a significant upgrade. With his movement, he could make receivers open even if they can't make themselves open, so I don't think we'd need significant upgrades at receiver or TE (although an upgrade would be welcome). The only caveat to my "could" is the OL. In my limited understanding of OL play, my guess is that the pass protections and durations for a mobile quarterback are probably very different to the pocket passers we've had for the last 25+ years. Obviously, given the difficulty that the OL had last year installing the outside zone run concepts, I'd be a little worried that they might not adjust to this either. The new coaching will no doubt help, but I genuinely don't know if the OL personnel we have will fit to whatever scheme we would have to devise for a Lamar.

Anyway, I'm saying it now, let's go for Lamar!

I'm of the opinion that Mac deserves a season with a proper offense and by that I mean a proper offensive line and decent wide receivers.

I still believe in the kid.

As for Lamar, if he could stay healthy I'd be up for it but he can't and I'm starting to think his shelf like is quite short now.

With draft day only a few nights away, I thought I'd avoid my usual habit of going "i thought that was going to happen" after the fact and get my thoughts out in advance. I am not particularly fixed on names, I hardly watched any college football this year so don't have any sense of who we should really hang our hat on. With 11 picks, we should be able to pivot about the draft fairly handily, so purely from a positional perspective, I'd like to see one of 3 things happen:

(A) As we did in the 2012 draft, keep our first and then bundle a bunch of other picks to get a second go in the first round, with a view to selecting 2 day 1 starters addressing 2 out of the trio of WR, OT and CB. The only way I feel this year is different from 2012 is that overall I don't think we've as much talent on the roster, so 2 high end talents may not be enough. Additionally, I think the general feeling among analysts is that there's really only 15-20 talents with a true first round grade, so we may not be able to get up there. And before anyone gets pedantic, I know we traded our way into 2 first-rounders in 2012, I just mean the end goal should be 2 first rounders.

(B) As we did in the 2009 draft, trade back from the first and through a combination of other moves end up with 3/4 in the second. If we're not going to get the absolute top line talent, I think we're better to throw a bunch of picks at the next level and see who works out. Certainly worked out well in 2009 (Chung and Vollmer were stalwarts for us, Butler was a stalwart for anybody but us). We might also pick up some good players who aren't necessarily what we directly wanted as it seems there's a lot of depth at TE and the edge positions. I think this would be my preferred move.

(C) Go for the batshit crazy move I've already posited, namely taking an instant upgrade with Lamar (nothing against Mac, but Lamar would be an instant elevation for not just the position but also for the offence in general). The money would be crazy, the cost in picks would be crazy, the Ravens probably wouldn't deal with us, and like Eagle Eye said, we might not get a full season out of him healthwise. On the plus side, it's hard not to like the thought of Bill yet again sticking 2 fingers up to conventional wisdom.

What would you folks like to see out of this draft for NE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

If Skoronski falls we should be all over him, the other highly rated tackles Harrison and Jones would be decent pickups too. Draft a receiver in the 2nd round all about protecting Mac.

I like Skoronski but I'm reading a lot about him being more suited to guard in the NFL which concerns me. He was brilliant as a tackle at Northwestern.

Tbh I don't see receiver as a huge need, not a first round need anyway. We've got Smith-Schuster, Parker and Thornton who I think will be very good.

We need a slot guy and we've had great success picking up players for that position cheaply, Edelman 7th round pick, Welker 5th round pick via trade and Jabar Gaffney as a very cheap free agent.

That offensive line has to hold up no matter who the starter is.

Personally I believe Mac Jones can be the man if he gets the time in the pocket. I don't see what the big deal is about him going outside the organisation for help last season given the pathetic offensive coaches he had. I'd personally look at that as a guy with a lot of self-belief looking to fix things.

Shouting at coaches when things are going wrong, who did you see do that in the past. Yes a certain no.12, the GOAT.

Anyway, I'd like to see us spend our first round pick on a tackle and maybe our second as well. If you get Paris Johnson and Dawand Jones is there in round 2 I'd grab him as well.

I'm not saying he is definitely overrated but CJ Stroud got so much time in the pocket that he might just not be as good as his numbers suggest. Johnson and Jones gave him incredible protection.

Reilly Reiff is not bad but there's no future there. He'd be a very good guy to help two young men to find their feet though.

I'd be cutting Brown, he's done nothing since he got here.

I'd nearly bet on us taking a Jones for the defensive backfield. 😁

There's a kid called Steven Gilmore plays CB for Marshall. Think we should definitely throw a 7th round pick at him just in case lightning strikes twice!

You'd think we'd go OT, CB or maybe WR in Round 1. But as we saw last year with the Strange pick, pretty much anything is possible. Albert Breer said some teams have less than 15 players with first round grades - hopefully there is an early run on QB's that pushes one of the top CB's or OT's into our range.

They did a good job in FA of adding depth so I don't think we have screaming needs anywhere, but we could do with getting better and younger in most positions.

We are still in seriously bad shape at offensive tackle. Reiff is at the end of his career, Brown isn't good enough.

Maybe BoB can improve Brown but I don't have much hope of that happening.

I think we need to draft two tackles and early.

Just like slot receiver we've had a lot of success with corners in later rounds and off the street like Butler, Jackson and Jonathan Jones.

If we don't shore up that line then we will struggle on offense again. Jones was the most pressured QB in the league last year. You have no chance when that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Gonzalez after a trade down to 17, absolute ace of a pick.

Yeah and you just know he's something special when Bill has only once before drafted a cornerback in the first round, that being the just retired Devin McCourty.

Still we need a damn offensive tackle and I can see Bill moving up to get Mayer. Bill loves his tight ends as we all know and especially ones that can block and catch.

I want us to go get Dawand Jones but I'm thinking BoB might be interested in Tyler Steen who he coached at Alabama last year. Thing is a lot of people are saying he'll be a guard in the NFL.

On Jones, he's the same height as a former great Patriot nicknamed Seabass, that's Sebastien Vollmer. 6'8" and 374 pounds, there's no getting by that.

As far as receiver is concerned I really believe we just need a slot. Find a college QB who can play the position, I want another Julian.

We still have 11 picks, including 4 x 4th rounders. Can't see us drafting 11 players so we could move up to get targets as the draft progresses.

Tackle is the obvious need now. WR and TE make sense too as we need more playmakers around Mac.

A cornerback, a defensive end and a linebacker. Like wtf? Our offense was crap last year mainly due to the offensive line and all we've done is sign 34 year old Reilly Reiff.

Not a Tackle, but finally some OL help with C/G Jake Andrews from Troy.

• Advertisement

So Andrews junior will back up Andrews senior.

Still waiting for a tackle. Dawand Jones is still available. I don't understand that. Allowed four QB pressures in '22, no QB hits and no sacks.

There's Jones at the senior bowl.

And now we take a goddamn kicker.

His basketball highlights they showed on the NFL network coverage were class.

And now a guard, still no tackle.

And now we give a pick to the Jets and they take a tackle. I'm getting really pissed now.😡

So we gave the Jets a fourth and sixth to move up eight spots to take a kicker. We had a pick five spots away from where we took the kicker. How on earth would you think you need to move up a couple of spots to get a kicker?

Jones went to the Browns.

A third interior OL! Maybe they hope to kick Onwenu outside again? Should mean we never have to call upon James Ferentz again at least.

• Advertisement

So at this stage we've taken a CB, 2 x LB, DE, C, 2 x OG, K, P, WR

Boutte the wide receiver played the slot at LSU.

Anyway, no tackle selected to this point. I just don't understand it.

We have Trent Brown the penalty machine, Riley Reiff at the end of his career and not much else.

Edit to add: We just took another slot receiver.

Advertisement