Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X Went Boom

Options
  • 20-04-2023 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seriously how have they not figured this out yet? How long have they been manufacturing rockets?

I'm sure they're not even that complicated despite the rumours.

mod

this thread is not for discussing CT, including, but not limited to, whether there was astronauts on the moon etc etc.

Use the CT forum to discuss topics such as those, keep this one for Space X, thanks.

Raichu

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

At least flights to Mars should be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I love those videos of the boffins and eggheads at the launch centre hugging, cheering and high-fiving only to go silent when the rocket explodes. Don’t know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I know! I mean, its not exactly Rocket Science, is it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Someone was going to say it. It might as well be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Because they realise Space Karen's going to give them the hairdryer treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Space aliens interfering to suppress our development again.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

20 yrs ago the us space program was dead and outsourced to the Russians. Today the largest vehicle to ever leave the ground flew 20km up, a vehicle that can carry 8 double decker busses and will in 3 years return yanks to the moon, within the decade fly them to mars. Like Oppenheimer and van Braun , elon is not the smartest man in the room nor the most likable but he is the man who can get the smartest men in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You'll have to excuse me when I don't trust a man who promised a hyperloop in las Vegas and delivered slow moving Teslas in a tunnel to do anything productive in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Luckily he's mostly just reporting what SpaceX does rather than driving it directly. He'd be better off if he stuck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Average cost per kg to LEO with space x is $2k , nearly 6 times cheaper than NASA . They have revolutionised the space industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Should we start a go fund me page for a few people here 😷?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

Space X went boom?

I think we will find that Space X just went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think putting men on the moon and bringing them home safely nearly 54 years ago is the greatest thing humans will ever do.....

An extraordinary achievement that is so unbelievable that alot of people dont actually believe it.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

In 2 months from now we celebrate the 54th anniversary of landing on the moon. Today we cannot manage to get a rocket into orbit without exploding.

Now please don’t shoot the messenger here but I’m calling a spade a spade. Space travel has actually regressed to remedial levels. The fact that there are space fanboys excited about todays launch is actually embarrassing.

Yeah there’s the odd sound-bite over the last 20 years or so about plans to go back to the moon or venture a human to Mars but it never actually comes to fruition. It’s pushed as a forward target in 5-8 years time in the hope we will forget about their last announcement 3-5 years earlier. It’s one giant waste of time even reading or watching anything to do with space travel as it’ll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is there anything on the bloody Moon?

They've had robots scurrying around the thing endlessly without any major or minor discovereries that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I remember my father saying that we would have space stations and holidays to the moon within the decade. That was the early 1980’s. That was the narrative his generation was being sold. Our generation is being sold the “Mars trip” (and conveniently forgetting the moon)

The moon has never been visited / landed on by a human in my entire lifetime. We have been lied to about our progress in space travel for too long now. It is pathetic naivety to pay any attention to it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If on Mars fûck all is found…..people will just give up.

32.35 billion was NASA’s funding for this year. Hundreds of billions a decade.

The only planet that has any proven life forms is Earth.

NASA has been around since 1958.

NASA, ROSCOSMOS or indeed any other agency worldwide have found nothing.

comes a time where it’s just not good value to be pumping an agency full of that sort of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We've been to Mars more than once,same as the Moon only slightly redder.

Half suspect the Space X was expected to explode they were grinning and joking about at the launch centre, apparently a "great success".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Surely it'd be more prudent as a species to take the money we seem to be wasting on space travel and divert into coming up with a solution to global warming or hunger. I always thought that if enough scientists worked on it, a grain that could grow in any environment or climate could be created.

Oh but wait....we discovered something a billion miles away that is impossible to reach from earth. That's something right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Didn't the SpaceX team go nuts whooping and cheering when it went bang? They do tend to go a bit overboard on that score.

With musk it's far more about his ability and luck to find the right people to head his projects. When he doesn't we get "hyperloop".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

An explosion is still data - you learn more from your failures than you do your successes.

Next time they launch one of these starships and it succeeds it wont be a happy accident - it will be because of meticulous modelling and work based in no small part on the data they got from this launch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We get rockets to orbit all the time and with more regularlity than in the 1960's. Getting to orbit is fairly "easy". Going beyond with human rated kit is a lot harder, but NASA'a Artemis did it a few months ago and went around the Moon.

Strumms above mentioned NASA's huge budget, and it is big, but compared to at the peak of the space race with the Soviets?

That's how much it cost to develop Apollo and get guys on the Moon. After that race was won with an incredible vehicle, but one that was a dead end in many ways, the political will was lost and the worry that they'd lose men on missions which would have cut the will and their budget even more Apollo was over and became museum pieces, except for bits used for Skylab and for the Apollo-Soyuz earth orbit meetup in 75, to save cash(while throwing it away on Shuttle).

Think of the pyramids of ancient Egypt, built by a bronze age society. Tallest buildings on earth for millenia. They stopped building them. Why? Loss of technology? Nope. They stopped being practical(robbed nearly the day they were finished) and loss of will(and cash).

Space travel is mostly about heavy engineering. Controlling large bangs and pointing them in the right direction basically. This is what the moon landing hoax morons don't understand. "Oh how come I've got more computing power in my fridge and they were able to the moon in the 60's" stuff. The SR71 Blackbird spyplane was the 1960's, as was the X-15 rocket plane, as was Concorde. Flying above other airliners at Mach 2 while sipping champagne. It's amazing what we can do with sliderules, will, genius and money, lots and lots of money.

Space X has been able to do incredible things and at much lower costs in a remarkably short time. Before them we were using essentially 60's tech Russian kit, which is very solid and reliable, but much more expensive. Space X brought us rockets that can come back down and land themselves. And yesterday they launched the most powerful rocket humans have ever launched. If you look at NASA in the early 60's they had near constant failures. Until they didn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People seen to be celebrating a failure yesterday, why I don't know but it wasn't a failure.

It was flagged that there was a chance of failure and now they will make a correction and try again.

That's why it was called a test launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

It's actually made entirely of cheese, apparently.... but it's crusty old cheese with some dust on top!

That's why everyone is lactose intolerant, just blame the moon dust! 🤥

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Baba Yaga

was one hell of a size bottle rocket!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What if the solution to global warming or hunger lies beyond this planet?

Space travel and off earth colonization/exploration is something we should be aspiring to as a species. We rely on this one planet for way too much.

Advertisement