Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The credit card APR and monthly fee are both dropping a tad. 22.7% and 6.50 a month, down from 26.6% and 7.99

Of course, if you spend money on what is a high APR, high free credit card to get Avios and actually need to carry a balance and pay the interest - you're an idiot, sorry. Get a cheaper credit card, you could save huge amounts more than you'll earn in Avios.

Reward cards only make sense when you pay in full, and it barely makes sense for me now that I'm no longer doing 8-15k of expenses/purchasing a year - just my own spending now. The fee reduction brings it a bit more in line to what the standard freebies are worth; as the 'free flights' are a faff. Although I did actually get a very, very good deal on some during peak last summer I don't think its usually that worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

They should add priority boarding or similar to the benefits like what most of the US cards do.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Does anyone know if you can bring children into a lounge or use priority boarding with them?

I have silver Aer club membership, travelling shortly with two children, who don’t have any status. Wondering if I can take them with me to the lounge or make use of my fast track and priority boarding in Dublin airport. I can’t see anything on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Morning all, flying out of Venice this morning, platinum status. Can I use the fast track there +1?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I use it a lot, i have it for my company card for travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Did it work in the end? Sometimes if it’s an electronic gate computer says no…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup, no issues for me +1. Very handy as it turned out as there was about 5 touring juvenile sports teams in the security q at the same time along with a large complement of bewildered yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Lounge, no chance without paying for them. Fast track I think unlikely but might get away with it. Priority boarding, depends on the mood of the gate staff. I've been allowed to priority board with my two kids when I've been silver but not all will let you as technically silver doesn't include companions.

• Advertisement

Pre boarding will be offered to those travelling with young children, i.e. kids in buggies etc regardless of status.

No chance at the lounge or fasttrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I had a reward flight from Dublin booked last June, checked in on the app and got a good seat without paying the fee for that seat. My boarding pass was on the app and when I scanned it at the self service bag drop machine computer said no, but it was when all the chaos was going on in DUB last summer so there were lots of aer lingus staff going around asking people if they needed any help so one of them brought me over to a staff computer where she sorted it and printed a bag tag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Just to update this, the outbound flight was at around 90% capacity and we were allocated sears 1A and 1B at check-in, seat 1C was empty so we had 3 seats between 2 of us. Return flight was full or almost full but we got seated together in row 27.

Checked in at airport check-in desks as we had bags. We were first off the plane but it didn't make an iota of difference because we had to wait for our bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 praterpark

Does Platinum allow access to 51st & Green for the member +1 ?

Yes it does, usual must be on same flight rule applies

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Browneo

i am booking return flights to Dallas through aer lingus app. It says American Airlines but it is a flight ei etc.. will I still get tier credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brenny123

no unless its EI metal afraid you won't....frustrating I know....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brenny123

Pretty sure you won't even get avios never mind tier points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Seems as if glitches on tech is rampant in Aer Lingus.

Logged in this morning to book a flight, ALL past flights have been wiped from my history. I tried to upgrade only to be told that there are no vouchers on my account. Despite not having used any in this cycle.

Luckily I had to provide dates for the past seven years to my immigration lawyer so I have a record of every flight I took. All this and Avios points of 200K+.

What is happening to Aer Lingus?

The other thing that is extremely noticeable is that I have to use a VPN linked to Ireland to log into my account. Cannot log in in the USA at all. I have previously brought this up with support and still nothing.

Working fine for me, 22 pages of flight history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Just back from a round trip DUB-LHR-LAX-LHR-DUB.

DUB-LHR was AL economy, and LHR-LAX was United business.

My AerClub account has been updated, but with just 1300pts each way on the LHR-LAX. I can't find anything specific on the AL website about earning points on United, only combinations of booked/operated by AL.

I nearly the same number of points on an AL economy flight from DUB-CDG recently, so 1300 seems very low?

EDIT:

Looks like I only got 25% of the mileage distance of my United Flight, presumably because the AL leg of the flight was Economy?

LHR-LAX: 5456 miles X 0.25 = 1364 Avios.

But on DUB - LHR I got 100% 288miles = 288 Avios.

Depends on the selling class of the ticket not just that it was economy, if you have the cheapest possible economy discounted ticket 25% sounds about right

Deep Discount Economy

R, W, Z, A, E

25%

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Anyone having trouble loggin into the e store?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Just tried there and getting a password error which shouldn’t be the case…

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Being a bit of a plane spotter, my wife lets me off now and again to travel far and wide to feed my habit. This years trip is to the USAF museum in Dayton Ohio. I have a Concierge companion voucher to use so I plan to use it for the flight and bring along a friend who is just as nuts about planes as me.

Anyway to my question, I was going to book business to ORD but then I have a five hour drive to Dayton. EI are selling tickets to Dayton via IAD and then connecting to UA for the flight to Dayton. The price in business class is pretty much the same as the flight to ORD but I am wondering what is EI’s policy for a companion ticket where I not using their metal for the final leg. Has any Conc members tried it and what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not an answer to your question but if you shoot for long layover in IAD you could conceivably visit the Udvar-Hazy museum which is an avgeek must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Have you looked at Aer Lingus' new route to Cleveland? It's a three hour drive rather than five.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Hadn't thought of that possibility. Food for though.

But all the same, it would be great if anybody has an experience with companion tix which would answer my question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I had this situation couple of years back, EI would only allow companion ticket on their own plane - the connecting flight cannot be booked for companion - they would (in my experience) have to land at ORD and then pick up their own (separately booked) flight on to final destination and the reverse coming back. Would not have checked through luggage etc - mine would have been an onward connection with Jet Blue - I just flew in and did a long drive as it was still more economical and, like yourself used it for business tickets.

Someone may have a more recent experience or, just phone the Concierge number, they always used to be helpful and knowledgeable.

Advertisement