Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making it compulsory to vote for at least one woman

Options
  • 24-03-2023 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

A girl in work was chatting to me at lunch about her idea that she'd like to see implemented, constituencies should have a minimum number of women candidates, ideally 50%. And a person's ballot paper won't be valid unless they select at least one woman, whether that's first or tenth or whatever preference.

I was amazed what she was coming out with. I hope such ideas are not mainstream. As a woman myself, I would not want to be elected as token candidate. Are quotas rubbish?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds both undemocratic and sexist. Complete nonsense.

Sounds like it was made up, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Total rubbish. Equality of opportunity means having no quota and certainly not compelled preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Why stop there. Your list must also include 1 person of colour (excl Asian) , 1 Asian, 1 gay, 1 trans, 1 young candidate, and can't include more than 2 white men. Combinations are allowed & encouraged.

And if none of those tokens are in your top 3, you will be asked to attend correction camps, and pay double your tv license.

Why stop there. Every fathomable way of dividing should be represented and you should be force to vote for the them.

• Advertisement

Not at all. It was probably being discussed as they did 185km/h in the Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭purifol0

Undemocratic, sexist and pushed into law by our EU overlords. Now apart from that, you'll see this in every day and the reason is women have in-group bias for women, whereas men do not:

"In-group bias is a big component of prejudice and discrimination, leading people to extend extra privileges to people in their own in-group while denying that same courtesy to others"

Personally I have found that feminism is basically women just outwardly displaying this bias. Unfortunately men are biologically wired to take care of women, and not see men with the same compassion/deference. At a national level its easy to see the results, everything from gender quotas, to nicer prisons. Hotels and social welfare payments for female refugees, whilst Irish men live and die on the streets.

So no, your wan in work may be a perfectly OK with throwing democracy under the bus so women dont have to compete to win votes like men do, but that's not a unusual viewpoint at all.

A Disabled Trans Afro-Asian OAP Traveller would be automatically deemed elected without the need for a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Sounds like reverse discrimination for men.

And then if there was some kind of quota for women, they or she would only be seen as the "dumb quota woman". This won't lead anywhere and is something sexist.

It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't suggest some kind of tax if that quota wasn't fulfilled..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You might see young white men just not bothering to partake in a society like that

• Advertisement

closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement