Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Consultation on Draft Castlebar Local Transport Plan;

I dont know enough about the town to say if they are meaningful proposals or if it is just saying put a bus route and cycle lanes on practically every road.

They really should be looking to pedestranise some areas in the centre of the town, could make the town much more attractive to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Connacht Telegraph are reporting the official opening is delayed until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

The quality of writing in the Connaught Telegraph is truly abysmal, but they appear to be suggesting again that the Castlebar bypass could open early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Im fairly sure the wages in those local newspapers reflect the quality of writing

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Westernview

If they have contacted the Taoiseach's office to postpone the opening then it won't be opening early. They must have written that piece on the artwork before word on delays came out but forgot to amend it before they posted it.

I think it would be best if they would stop releasing opening dates until they are sure of when it will be ready.

• Advertisement

“the contractors on the N5 road project have indicated they are not confident that a date of late April for completion is likely.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Is the standard of construction work in general just going down? A long time since i've seen an ontime completion. Maybe the Castlebaldwin project (allowing for covid closures).

And the cost of this rubbish keeps going up. Depressing. Anyway, lets look forward to rehiring these companies that let us down time and time again

It appears that I owe the Connaught Telegraph an apology 😀 The article is just a cut and paste job from the latest official update on the project from Mayo County Council.

It appears an early opening for the Castlebar bypass is definitely still on the cards, as a road safety audit has been carried out on this section and they are currently addressing the snags, which is the final step before the road can open.

A road safety audit has not yet been done on the Castlebar to Knockranny stretch and there is no mention of the Knockranny to N59 section at all. Given the above, the road could end up opening to traffic in 3 stages as they are clearly progressing each section separately.

https://eagenda.mayo.ie/FilesUpLoaded/20233231011Item%20No%208.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

In fairness they often copy and paste WhatsApp rumours and print them so its definitely a good idea to double check source!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Contractor for this scheme is an utter embarrassment. I've lost track of the number of opening dates that have been plucked from thin air. It's rare to see any form of completion work going on when passing any of the junctions.

I'll hold off driving it for a while when it does eventually open. Probably a lot more they've botched up as well

• Advertisement

Are you basing your opening dates on what the Connacht Telegraph have said or that contractor has said.

The road safety audit is like a snagging list and they won't be allow open unless everything is up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Anything plucked fron thin air has come from the transition year students who run the Connaught Telegraph. How many definite grand opening date exclusives have been trumpeted by the Mayo News or the Western?

If anything runs over time and it's the fault of the contractor they will be paying penalties.

Turlough to islaneady will be open before the summer.

Official word from Mayo County Council today is still that the Castlebar bypass will open in the next few weeks, with no specific date given. Rest of the project to open in Q2, which could be any time up to the end of June obviously.

View from the Sheeaun road overbridge outside Westport this evening.

Interesting prediction here that the new road will lead to a 19% increase in traffic through Breaffy, because Ballina to Claremorris traffic will now go this way instead of via Kiltimagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's not a route I travel, but I'd be very surprised if many people make that detour just to use what is a very short section of DC between the N60 and the N5. They'd be on the new N5 for probably a minute at most.

I'd say there will be much greater traffic increases in Ballintubber and Ballyheane as a result the new road (Galway to Westport traffic) than in Breaffy.

That prediction doesn't make any sense. If you are going from Ballina, you either go left at Straide and through Bohola and kiltimagh. If you go straight, you would go through Ballyvary and on to Balla.

I would think the only reason you would be headed back towards Castlebar and Breaffy would be if you already had reason to use that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Westernview

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at those negotiations, so to speak 😄

• Advertisement

Probably my last photo update before the road opens (hopefully anyway!)

The Castlebar to Westport stretch is looking good 👍 Just some road markings to finish at the Westport end.

The Westport relief road has progressed massively since January. The first pic is the roundabout behind Allergan and the next is the view east from the Newport Road roundabout. The N59 Barley Hill section is fully open now, with only the southern tie-in at the Westport end to be completed.

The signage on the mainline is largely complete. Knock airport features very prominently on all eastbound signage, at the expense of Ballina. I'm not sure what Joe Biden would make of that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭plodder

I see the N59 section of this is open already. It's funny how a new road immediately feels like it's always been there, and it's hard to even visualise the crappy old road it replaces. I'd wonder though how many people will use this road to get from Castlebar to Newport and beyond. While it's a much better road, the distance is a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Healy92

I don't get why Claremorris would take precedence over Ballina in that sign.

Will Joe Biden and his motorcade be the first official users of the Castlebar bypass section of the new N5? The location of the security barriers out the Westport Road suggests that he might be.

Well it looks like it will take a US President to get this road open at this stage. What's the latest hold up, are they trying to figure out how to get the paint off the road signs or something.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It would actually be quite a good idea to beat the ObamaPlaza by having Joe open a BidenHighway.

I'd say that's why it's not open. No need to security sweep a closed road. Any bets it's open to traffic next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭serfboard

In fairness, if it happens, it would be some coup for Mayo to get a sitting US President to open the road. And I'd guess Biden would get quite a kick out of it too, and it would play well as a PR exercise to Irish America.

Don't know if that's what will happen, but the timing seems to suit.

I don't think he will open the road or anything like that, they will just open it for him as a one off to allow him to access the town tomorrow.

The purpose of his trip to Castlebar is to visit the Mayo Hospice. That's on the west side of the town - the "wrong" side in terms of where he's coming from, so it's less disruptive to take him around on the new bypass and bring him in via the Westport Road, rather than taking him around the inner ring road past the football stadium etc.

This way they only need to close the west side of the town for his visit, beyond the hospital, and the town centre and hospital can stay open and relatively unaffected, for what is a private visit anyway - the public event is in Ballina.

He probably won't even realise that he's on a previously unused stretch of road. But it would mean that he would be the first user of the road, which would be a little bit of history in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I'm almost certain he will be coming along the new bypass with the amount of barriers I saw on that side of town earlier today along with extra security fencing near the hospital roundabout.

What happens to the old road from Castlebar to Westport will it be downgraded in some way?

And this is probably a pipe dream but is there any chance they will put in place some cycling infrastructure between the two towns on the old road once the bypass is up and running?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Advertisement