Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

On that last bit, one funny thing I saw at the game, 2 lads about 2 rows ahead of us must have agreed to swap jerseys at the end, one an England fan was wearing a jersey in dart player size (i.e massive) whilst the Irish lad looked like he was half the size and was wearing a player fit slim jersey, watching the English lad trying to get it over his shoulders had our whole section in stitches, no idea what the two of them were thinking, so they ended up just swapping scarves... have to say the few English fans near us were sound though, very complimentary towards our team & fans.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Not for everyone... Our office is open on Good Friday as it's a Bank Holiday, not a Public Holiday. We used to get it off and there was a change of policy a few years ago. It still makes me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Same here @pigtail33, we used to get Good Friday as a company day but we've been taken over by a much larger company & it doesn't seem like we are going to get it. Proper raging over it as it's lovely to have Good Friday off & it makes the childcare situation so much easier!

Hope everyone had a lovely long weekend! We got absolutely drowned at the parade in Drogheda, but the kids had a blast & it was actually good. Could do with a bit more music in it, but the floats have come on leaps & bounds since we were children! Managed to get a green 99 afterwards so was worth it :P

I'm still mad every time it comes around and they changed the policy over 10 years ago! The extra day really did make such a difference, otherwise, it's just like a normal BH weekend. I used to always WFH on Good Friday, but that's the norm for me now, so I don't get anything extra. I refuse to take it as part of my annual leave!

• Advertisement

Good Friday is an odd one re: work alright, we get it as a free day from work, but for my Mrs, her office is closed but they deduct it from their annual leave similar to the 3 they need to keep for christmas.

We give good Friday & Dec 23rd as free days, and depending on how christmas falls deduct 3 days generally to cover the break, 1 year it was 4 days deducted but everyone was made aware at the start of the year so there was no surprises. Must check back what way Christmas fell to see why we needed 4 though...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I always think it's pure stingy of a business to make employees use leave when the office is closed.

I know a few places it happens and its so cheap. Especially in big multinationals where it'd be easily absorbed.

Never minded the giving up of the 3 days to cover the Christmas break myself, always nice to know we're finishing up on the 22nd and not back until the 2nd Jan (at the earliest, depending on how the days fall) but for Good Friday its 100% tight ass territory.

I know of one firm that requires a days leave to take off Christmas Eve & the office (only) stays open until 3pm. Either way, thats proper grinch territory!

Ah jeez, I couldn't work for a Scrooge like that...and then the same company probably wonders why staff morale is in the dumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yet good Friday is a bank holiday in UK, well it was while I was working there, good few years ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Worked in factories all my life. Never had it off. I think it's mostly just office staff and building sites that get this day off (after all it's just like any other day, businesses have zero obligation to give it off to a worker).

Best of luck to anyone who has it off. Would be great to have two short weeks.

Child's christening on Saturday now all systems go. 5 months have flown by.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I worked in a Bookies years ago, and used to love having Good Friday and Easter Sunday off. We did have to work the Saturday though, so that scuppered any thoughts of a long weekend!

What used to bug me most about working Good Friday years ago was that I used to get the train to work (to the world's most disgusting train station, Howth Junction 🤢🤮) but they would run a Sunday service on Good Friday! Caught me out more than once that I'd rock up to get the 7.20 train only to find it wasn't running! And they wouldn't have any notices anywhere, you'd go into the train station, be standing there like an eejit and then finally ask someone what's the story & they'd say "oh it's Sunday service today" and we'd be like "eh it's a normal working day for most of us"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah howth junction has been done up now....it's not too bad but still very isolated....I'd still avoid early mornings and late nights.

About time, it really needed it, it was desperate altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Took Monday off to booster my long weekend and according to my emails I took 7 weeks off.... the catchup is unreal. Only got through the backlog now, it's almost not worth it sometimes to take time off!

Rant over and I'll stop complaining now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Probably done over 10 years now, probably around the time it changed to howth junction/donaghmede

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see we will be into the 30's in the weekly countdown next and we are in to the 270's in the daily. Felt like only yesterday we got out of the 300's!

Fab day out there today, great to see so much sunshine after all the rain recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not here, some heavy showers between a burst of sunshine.

• Advertisement

Always feel we're getting somewhere when we get to week 39, that's a full quarter of the countdown done and dusted.

Oh wow, never thought of it like that but yeah it's certainly moving quick.

March has been a miserable month for weather. Hopefully April brings better weather.

At least the evenings are going to be a hell of a lot brighter from tonight on wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

Can't believe it's half one in the afternoon already! 😲😁

Just home from croker, tell you what twas bitter cold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

Try and be a Meath man at the moment, cold weather and they're no good. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I love the "grand stretch" but getting up this morning nearly killed me.The cold and the tiredness mean today might be a bit of a struggle.

Had to scrape frost off the car this morning. And being back to leaving in the dark wasnt that nice either. Still, should see the benefits later this evening when driving home.

Same here, I wasn't expecting to have to defrost the car this morning, and doing it in the dark didn't help. Hopefully that's the last time I'll have to defrost the car until next Winter.

• Advertisement

Yes, it was so dark this morning, I really struggled to get out of bed. But it is nice and bright now and I did really enjoy the longer evening yesterday!

Advertisement