Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updating a Mutant HD50

Options
  • 18-03-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For the first time in ages I tried to update the programme list on my parents Mutant HD50. It hasn't gone well.

What is the process for correctly updating one of these? I presume that I need to download ABM bouquet again? For reference I've got a two satellite inputs Freesat and Saorsat.

I have them in a single list which replicates the Sky TV numbering.

How do I go about updating all this? It has been a few years since I done this and I can't remember.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What image is on your box as if on Openvix it is no longer supported so feeds from plugins may not work

Saorsat ? or you mean Saorview via aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It just goes as far as the openvix splash screen and then it goes blank and tv complains of no input.

I had tried to update the channels and ABM, but this has gone wrong. How do I recover the device?

It's really a hd51.

Then your box is still supported.

No signal could be dish has moved or lnb is not working.

I assume if you press remote you can see your menu and on correct port that the box uses.

Would need to know what image and version is on use and if you have a hdd installed.

Works fine in other room, so lnb/dish is not faulty.

There is a factory installed hdd.

• Advertisement

It gets as far as this and then goes blank.

A test you could do is move good box that works in other room to that room and see if it works there and bad box to good room to also check .

A loose / bad F connected sat cable can give you issues and look for burning marks on end of cable for water ingress.

What shows on tv screen on bad box can you still get menu and other things up on it

Reread it again so box works fine in other room so its to do with a sat cable or loose / bad lnb as they do fail. How old is your lnb ?

@greasepalm:

1. The other room has Sky+.
    2. No burning or water ingress.
    3. Screen just shows OpenVix splash screen for a few seconds and then goes blank.

LNB is only about 7 years old. It provides signal for Sky+ so it is working.

The screen starts up like below:

Then goes to:

Before screen going black and the unit then looks like:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

we are confused, are you saying the mutant hd 51 works fine in the other room?

• Advertisement

So the box screen display goes blank like a power supply issue.

But works in other room which is odd.

Does anything show on tv when trying to view.

Did you put Mutant in place where Sky+ is to check if it does the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

why reflash if it works fine in other room!! or does it>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Please clarify does the mutant work in the other room or are you just saying the other box in the other room still works?

It is quite possible for some outputs to fail on an LNB and still have some working.

From how you describe the initial fault it sounds like it is not booting after you tried to update the firmware.

"TV complains of no signal" could just be the HDMI not seeing anything cos the box has not booted.

I've not tried it in another room yet. Is a bit difficult to setup as the Sky+ box is in a hidden location. Will attempt to try it tomorrow.

The box performed the channel scan fine. It seems to have fallen over when I went to update the ABM. At no stage did I initiate flash of the box. There was no dialog box stating that it was flashing the box. If there was, I would have left it to its own devices for a longer period.

So was this a full scan for channels like 800+

Ok so no flashing/updating box.

You have not said what image version is on box ?

I'm not sure what image version is on box. Been quite a while since it was updated.

Menu -Information - About and will show details of box.

If its that old Plugins feed wont work

It won't load the menu. It stays at the final screen I attached above and then it goes blank. The box display then goes blank with red LED - is that box powering down into standby?

Yes or failing power supply , do you have another you can try?

• Advertisement

I still get the impression that the box is not booting up properly after the initial Vix boot screen. If the box is connected to your network, it might be worth trying to access the WEBIF to see if the box is running or if the OS is corrupted. Access WEBIF by entering the network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser on the same network.

At this stage I would try flashing the box again using the instructions in post 12 above. If it asks do you want to restore backed up settings say no in case they are corrupted too.

Thanks, will try to get this done later today.

So I could see that the box recognised there was a USB attached as it illuminated and flashed, but the sequence still follow the images above.

So unable to flash the box.

Make sure the USB drive is formatted to FAT32 and that you have extracted the HD51 folder to the root of the USB. In the past I've heard others saying that they needed to try different brands of USB drive before they got one to work. I've never encountered this personally but that could just be dumb luck.

Formatted to fat32. Copied to root.

I'm using a 4Gb Kingston USB formatted to FAT32 and allocation size of 4096. I can briefly see it indicating 'flashing' before moving onto 'no partition'.

I've removed the HDD incase it was causing issues, but no difference.

Would trying the recovery file be worthwhile especially as I've got an old unknown build on the box?

Did you download the compressed file on laptop and extracted it to usb stick?

No other Usb devices plugged in and box is powered off while inserting usb.

Any buttons need pressing to start the process when powering on.

• Advertisement

Yes, downloaded and extracted. No other USB's connected and box powered off.

Still can't get it to work. Is there any way around this or to do a factory reset. Really don't have the time to be messing about with this pile of junk.

Can the recovery file only be used with its associated build or do you always just use the latest?

Advertisement