Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus / Go Ahead / Bus Eireann services now track on Bustimes.org

• 15-03-2023 9:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You can now see a real time map of Dublin Bus Go-Ahead Ireland, Bus Eireann and Expressway services on bustimes.org and track all services operated by these companies.

This will allow you to see positions of the fleet of these operators in real time for the network and also see where a specific vehicle is on a map if you are interested in that kind of thing and also what livery it is wearing and the trips that it operated that day.

It's only just gone live so most vehicles are only tracking by tracking ID and haven't had the relevant vehicle information added to the record yet, I'd expect that to follow in the coming days since this information has to be entered manually.

Dublin Bus

Go Ahead Ireland Dublin City.

Bus Eireann / Expressway

Go Ahead Commuter Services

Post edited by devnull on

Comments

That's so cool, love it.

Looks like a 90 sec refresh rate but I only guessed that after watching and waiting for the real-time changes to kick in.

Actually after playing around with it, it has all BE routes for the whole country. Which is frikkin sweet!

Edit: bah you edited to add BE and now I look silly 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There's a separate one for Nitelink as well but obviously won't be able to tell if it runs under that one or the main DB one until the weekend.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is super cool!

It is this sort of thing that I was hoping we would get with the launch of new API's. The new NTA app is dreadful, but open source data and API's willl allow other apps do better.

BE, Go Ahead and Dublin Bus all suddenly stopped tracking.

Someone appears to have just pulled the plug....

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

It does this at certain times of the night, then buses will come back, most will have fleet numbers and then they will go again. Its hit and miss at the moment, not all buses are tracked and even the ones that are tracked can have a delay up to 10 minutes.

Im told there is a big big update on this and hopefully see changes towards end of week which will make it more stable and most buses having their correct fleet numbers. (In Dublin anyway)

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Vehicles will only appear on bustimes.org once they have operated in service at least once when the tracking is active, there's currently 897 showing up against Dublin Bus that have tracked so far yes the fleet is more than that but since the feed kicked in it probably is about right once you take into account the morning peak vehicles that finished duties before the tracker started and anything that is off service due to maintenance etc.

For the fleet info to show up someone's got to do a lot of manual data entry for each of the tracking IDs which is going to be quite a task, I can see that someone has been doing vehicles bit by bit tonight but as you say it's going to not be something that can happen straight away.

Personally everything I looked at on bustimes.org tonight was in line with TFI Live, but having not physically caught a bus myself, I don't know if that was also on the drag in terms of times. I assume they are using the same (new) feed.

We'll see what happens over next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Amazing how quick this was to be made active! The new API only went live on Monday.

Seems to be tracking again now.

Probably wasn't an awful lot of work to make active. Bustimes.org has been aggregating feeds from hundreds of operators from around the UK for years now and the TFI new API is outputting data in a format that is used by UK operators, so it's probably just a case of bustimes.org taking the new API feed and the data is then being pushed out to the website.

The feed is not going to have the vehicle details in other than the Tracking ID though, so there's going to be a lot of data entry required over the coming days to replace the vehicle ID with the fleet number it corresponds to and then add the vehicle info, but the enthusiast community will certainly be delighted when that is done.

I may have already somewhat contributed to that effort 😁

I've just spotted that bustimes.org has APIs available for all this data too, including the user added information for vehicles.

For Dublin bus it's a lot eaiser due to the Dublin Bus APIs providing the vehicle reference atttribute, aka the fleet code. Go-ahead and Bus Eireann will take longer as it will probably rely on sightings, unless someone contributing happens to have some inside knowledge

• Advertisement

Seems the plug was pulled again this morning, only Aircoach and Dublin express tracking currently

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Seems to be back working.

I love that folks are adding which vehicles have USB power, can see that being very handy for folks [1]

[1] I know, if it has the model number, you can figure it out anyway, but general people wouldn't know that.

It might also be useful to add which vehicles have toilets, on the likes of the Aircoach intercity vehicles.

Yeah I was able to load it fine on my laptop and phone, so must've been an issue on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Regarding the USB charging, general rule is any SG from a 172 reg and up will have USB seat charging and any Dublin bus model after this too.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Yep, although I mistakenly forgot that for a few of the updates I did! Only did 3 SGs pre-172 though thankfully 😂

The Bus Eireann vehicles are increasingly tracking without route numbers the last 24 hours, gradually more and more vehicles seem to be showing with blank route numbers all day, first it was a few vehicles but over the last little while more and more seem to be having this problem.

Is there a glitch with the BE system that is not reporting the route numbers correctly on the feed? Go Ahead and Dublin Bus don't have this issue.

Yeah I've noticed that as well. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

I also noticed last night that the Nitelink services don't appear on the API, which is a shame. On bustimes they're counted as a separate operator to Dublin Bus itself, with no "vehicle" section. I have noticed that they don't appear on the Dublin bus API either so it's likely a case that Dublin Bus don't pass on any realtime data for these services.

Bus Eireann problem has seemingly spread to almost the whole fleet now.

Their own RTPI is also broken on their website seemingly.

Whole Bus Eireann fleet now tracking without route numbers.

I had a look at some API calls there and from my relatively brief look, there doesn't seem to be any missing data for the bus Eireann services. Trip IDs, Route IDs and Vehicle IDs all seemed to be displaying.... Might be an issue on bustime.org's end?

• Advertisement

Update - seems to look like the issue with the Bus Eireann route numbers not appearing is beginning to resolving itself. Most services are showing a number now.

Today it's the Go-Ahead commuter services that are tracking without route numbers.... Go-Ahead city are still tracking fine. Wonder what the underlying cause is.

Post edited by p_haugh on

Also, it looks like the majority of the Dublin Bus fleet has been recorded. The only remaining unknown tracking IDs have mostly not been tracked since the 15th/16th March.

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

I do like the bustimes.org, but this is my new favourite ;)

From the 'About'-blurb - The movements are mostly based on static schedule data. Wherever real-time data is available it is also included in the visualization.

https://travic.app/?z=16&x=-696708.0&y=7047568.1&l=osm_standard&ol=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Did you manage to tap on a moving dot to see a bus route number?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is only displaying schedules unfortunately, rather than live positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

For some reason I can't manage to hit the dot on my phone. Hmm.

As has been discussed previously over on the Tapatalk forums, bus times now shows the future workings of most routes operated by Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Go-ahead, as the board numbers are now part of the gtfs data supplied. (See below for example)

It seems that Citymapper and Transit are also availing of the new data, as they now tell you if your trip that involves switching routes has the same bus operating both routes. Using the 17 as an example again, here's what I see if I try to plan a trip from the N11 to Newtown Park Avenue:

On Citymapper:

On Transit:

Seems to be quite a handy feature!

• Advertisement
Advertisement