Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What did the 7k euro of milk cost and over how long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

Not trying to compare, but the majority of weanlings are not making €1150, just as the majority of dairy cow aren't clearing €7,000.

Don't think I begrudge any dairy farmers that's able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Out of interest, how much meal would the typical dairy beef calf consume before it hits the grass as a yearling in the second year?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭straight

Totally irrelevant again. I had a man here one day and he was after selling a foal for 20k. So what like.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 1848

Say 400 kg - €200 on an animal being sold as a yearling, bit less if retained on farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Ah I know not saying you are begrudging, but there is massive resentment from other farming sectors towards the dairy farmer..I get it everyday at my off farm job from other part time farmers there and it's tiresome..I can't say a word about the cost of anything be it fertilizer, diesel, food, tractors, even a bloody pint without the fact I have a few dairy cows at home been thrown in my face.

These guys genuinely have no idea of actually costs or profit in milk, but are driven mad by seeing big well established dairy farms around here pushing on. Therefore anyone milking is next best thing to a millionaire. I've said it here before, I know 3 people now in my close circle of friends and family earning over 100k salaries in there job, but nobody says a word to them.

Anyway sorry for the ranting and raving, as straight has said its all irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I am like yourself pinsnbushings, a part time dairy farmer and part time off farm employment. If I drive on any bit I hear from the farming circle that, sure hasn't he a good off farm job and then the colleagues in the day Job hit me with, sure its easy for him and he with his wages and a herd of cows. Sicken your hole after a while. The ones in the day job that are always at it were all planning their weekends away last week in work while I was facing a weekend of cleaning calf pens out, fencing and milking. Then they tell me it's easy for me🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭straight

Some people think that in order to elevate themselves they need to drag down the person above them.

Ye sounds so familiar, as straight says some people just want to drag others down..just pay no attention I suppose as best we can, but it does grate the constant remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭farmertipp

there are many out there earning north of 100k and not a word about them or from them steady people. with dairy farmers, if you don't hear how much they are making from a few blowholes in the indo or journal you will hear it from media or teagasc annual report. you'd swear it was unusual to make money. I say that ss a dairy farmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The clever ones in other sectors in agriculture (Tillage with 1k's of acres, I'm looking at you.) divide up their empires into separate companies.

So the above headlines or/and bps publications top earners don't make the print. If can't beat them, join them. Then put the begging bowl out and claim poverty.

The world is messed up and increasingly going worse by the day.

Completely by the by on the conversation and topic. Rachel Blackmore had an image of her used in publicity for the cheltenham festival and on betting platforms. She was holding the whip in triumph after a race. The whip was photoshopped out for promotion. Sports promoters were in arms over unrealistic "wokeness" creeping in and the eventual harm this will do to the sport if this continues. The snake eating it's own tail comes to mind.

The dairy industry here hasn't reached the point yet to call out the unrealistic "wokeness" being imposed. The first few inches of the tail are only after been eaten yet.

I agree on that too, these profit monitors shouldn't be let anywhere near a media outlet, only usefull as a comparison tool amongst farmers in a private setting.

There's a few lads in teagasc and the the media that love talking big numbers about farmers that I can't imagine standing under the dirty end of a cow at 7am on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭alps

Profit monitors aren't left anywhere near the media..not in the last 2 or 3 years as far as I can see. Teagasc got a good wrap on the knuckles over breach of confidentiality and misuse of data from a farming source.

The data being presented publicly is from the National Farm Survey. This data is collected from specified voluntary farms, collected by professional people.

This farm survey is a requirement of the EU. I've no idea if it goes on in any other profession or industry. I expect it is, or has been, linked to CAP payments and their justification.

Fair enough they had enough damage done with them, maybe it is linked to the CAP. I know I've worked for a few privately owned companies and I had no idea what they were making or neither would anybody else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

You are making a very important point.if there was no export then we are f##ked.i was discussing sexed semen with another farmer the other day and we came to conclusion that you re better off staying with standard semen because the only place for these extra beef bred calves is export.dealers on the other hand.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The is a guy beside me a dealer, nice lad, but you would know he is a trick at the same time. He buy and sells all types of cattle (I would guess he averages 100 head a week) and about half would be for orders. He tells me every animal he buys he has to get €60 on, €10 to buy, €20 haulage, €15 to sell, €5 for overheads like vets, admin work, feed, lad working in the yard & finally €10 for his wages for the two days involved. Now with the online marts you can see whats happening everywhere and its hard to see €60 of a difference between stock in one mart to the next, so I would guess it isn't that easy done.

I tend not to buy any dealers cattle if I can as the way I look at it is if I can take €30 off his price by doing my own thing isn't it better in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

We are all hearing about the dairy farmers getting big milk cheques and I was talking to a guy the other night and we were discussing a large local dairy farmer who gave €600 euro an acre of land but then kicked up stink in the mart recently when his Jex bull calves didn't get a bid. He was telling me the same farmer was recently telling his discussion group that it isn't cents per liter any more, its euro+ per liter.

This lad getting no bid of his calves doesn't seem to want to accept that for him to get €1+ / liter for his milk, he will need to bear the cost of rearing his jex bull calves until they are salable. Just wounder how much is it really costing to produce 1 liter of milk?

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The ironic thing this year is the fellas who left the calves off as soon as they could are being rewarded but the fellas that kept them a month or so are being crucified

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What’s the reward 🤔🤔But who’s smarter and financially better off and that’s before you talk workload etc ….there’s no issue selling calves from 10/-4 days take it as given and expected no corners cut with colostrum and milk feed on farm of birth …..just get past getting whatever money be it big or small calves make

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭QA1

rang a lad there near me this morning heard he had calves for sale wanted €150 at home for aa calves from 10 days to 2 weeks old was not buying any this year but was told they are cheap he can keep them what mart would you average €170 in for young aa calves this week

• Advertisement

Sold a few out of the yard this week, a lad wanted some to put on cows. 160 for Hereford heifers 3 weeks old and 125 for Angus heifers 2 weeks old. Both of us happy

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Is this really a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

looking at it from a non farming view it makes an even stronger case for the green party to hammer home the agri industry pollution bla bla bla even more.....

Personally I think for calf welfare if they can trial it and make sure calf welfare is ok, no major issues with calf health etc then it has to be a good thing. Whats better for a calf being in a artic trailer for 4days by road, or in a plane 4 hours.

I know which way I'd rather travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭older by the day

Imagine if we could get Ryan air to run them over. It would be cheapest of all. Only the calf won't be getting any on board milk on that flight. Seriously it's the way to go. A few hours and they are back inside the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's probably not economically practical. On a side note even though I am an agnostic on sexed semen I was talking to a large dairy farmer who I know well and he says that Friesians bulls will half within in 3-4 years

F@@k it for a game of soldiers.

The flying is only a face saver

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

young aa or he not making much more than fr bull calves sexed semen wont do much for prices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sexed semen ain’t the answer ….just robbing Peter to pay Paul ….most lads I talk to in compact spring scenario are only getting average at best results .flying calves if it can be viable is going to be a game changer …we simply need calf exports to stay and veal units want our calves ….unpalatable and all as it is some form of calf slaughter facility needs to stay too for tb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Flying will be a non runner due to the cost of chartering the plane and the cost of running a plane, if it was cheap do you not think the shippers in cork and kerry Would be at it already. This is to do with the closing of the lairage in France last week and the minister doing nothing about it. Weak minister. The echo warriors would have a field day with this.

Any word on France? Has it reopened fir Irish calves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m wondering if the date on the front of the Journal has anything to do with this story?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement