Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dental implant care

• 12-05-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi all, I got a dental implant today and I'm just wondering is there anyone on here who has any first hand experience getting one and has some tips on how to care for it for the first few days? Since getting it at 1 today I've been switching between rinsing with hot salty water and the periokin mouthwash. I'm a smoker but to be honest the fear of ruining the implant is putting me off having a smoke. Anyone know what foods are ideal and safe to eat? I've managed a small sandwich so far but I'm too scared that I'll rip the stitches, my dentist told me that rice and potatoes are ok but not really into either haha, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

nerobert wrote: »
    Hi all, I got a dental implant today and I'm just wondering is there anyone on here who has any first hand experience getting one and has some tips on how to care for it for the first few days? Since getting it at 1 today I've been switching between rinsing with hot salty water and the periokin mouthwash. I'm a smoker but to be honest the fear of ruining the implant is putting me off having a smoke. Anyone know what foods are ideal and safe to eat? I've managed a small sandwich so far but I'm too scared that I'll rip the stitches, my dentist told me that rice and potatoes are ok but not really into either haha, thanks in advance!

When I had mine I also had wisdom teeth out so it was spitting for a day or so. After that I used mouthwash and a soft toothbrush and avoided the area until the stitches healed. Foodwise, I ate soups for the first two days, but I had more than one implant plus extractions.

After a few weeks you will be back to eating as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Makood wrote: »
    When I had mine I also had wisdom teeth out so it was spitting for a day or so. After that I used mouthwash and a soft toothbrush and avoided the area until the stitches healed. Foodwise, I ate soups for the first two days, but I had more than one implant plus extractions.

After a few weeks you will be back to eating as normal.
    Thanks very much, I'll just stick to soups and bread I don't mind either of them that much, can I ask if you're a smoker and if so did you smoke during the healing period?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Thanks very much, I'll just stick to soups and bread I don't mind either of them that much, can I ask if you're a smoker and if so did you smoke during the healing period?

A social smoker at this stage. I really can't advise whether you should smoke or not. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Please god tell me whoever did the implant told you how to care for it. Do what they said, nothing else.

Yea of course the dentist did but I guess I'm trying to figure out what I definitely can and cannot do for a few weeks. Like smoking, eating, drinking etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Do you have otherwise healthy gums? My care sheet said no smoking in the first 24 or 48 hours. After that I rinsed with Corsodyl after every cigarette. (I smoke 4-6 a day) Food was pretty much back to normal but I funnelled it to the other side of the mouth that didn't have any work done. Stayed away from black coffee and red wine (mainly to avoid staining with the mouthwash) for the entire time. Corsodyl'ed it after every meal as well. When I went in for the follow up check weeks later I was told it had healed and set properly.

Yea nice one I'm usually a heavy smoker (around 15-16 a day) but since getting this done I've cut it down to around 5-6 and like yourself I use the mouthwash after every smoke. I'm trying to limit myself to when I actually really want a smoke instead of just smoking out of boredom. Me brother gave me a box of patches yesterday so I'm gonna try those tomorrow and use this as an excuse to quit. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Mouthwash after a smoke??!! Does mouthwash negate the vasoconstictive effects of smoking??

Do what the dentist/ implant surgeon said and nothing else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Corsydol is an antiseptic (chlorohexadine), it kills bacteria and certain fungi. It does nothing to negate the bad effects of tobacco on implant success and bony healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I'm simply saying that care instructions stated no smoking for the first day, and what I did after I was allowed to smoke again. Unless you are saying that using mouthwash after smoking is actually harmful to the dental implant ?

I use mouthwash anyway to remove smoker's breath, I only swapped to Corsodyl during that period instead of my usual brand (CB12)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Smoke, don't smoke?- it's a couple of thousand euro of a gamble ;)
    Most of the stats/percentages/failure rates on smoking & dental implants are available online with a quick Google.
    Your mouth. Your money. Your call.
    As a by the by, you've paid the surgeon for the procedure- Day1 was explained, but definitely phone enquire about Week1& Month1 aftercare if it wasn't made clear.

Thanks folks, regarding the smoking I've decided to knock it on the head, haven't had one in over a day. I've one last question if anyone can help, my front tooth was missing since before the implant and I always wore a denture, but now I'm wondering how long should I wait before using the denture again, is there a time frame or is it ok to use as long as it's not painful, thanks

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Thanks folks, regarding the smoking I've decided to knock it on the head, haven't had one in over a day. I've one last question if anyone can help, my front tooth was missing since before the implant and I always wore a denture, but now I'm wondering how long should I wait before using the denture again, is there a time frame or is it ok to use as long as it's not painful, thanks
    This is definitely a question you should ask the person who put the implant in. If there is graft material or there is any possibility of putting pressure on the implant by the denture then its a no. The only person who can tell you this is the person who put in the implant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Depends....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goolly

Dental implement care refers to the proper handling, cleaning, and maintenance of dental instruments used in dental procedures. This is important to ensure that the instruments are in good condition and function properly, reducing the risk of infection and injury to patients. Dental implements include instruments such as probes, scalers, mirrors, forceps, and drills.

Dental implements are made from a variety of materials, including stainless steel, titanium, and plastic. They are designed to be durable and long-lasting, but they can still become damaged or worn over time with repeated use.

Proper care and maintenance of dental implements involves several steps, including cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing after each use. Some instruments can be cleaned and sterilized using an autoclave, while others may require special cleaning solutions or ultrasonic cleaning.

It is important to inspect dental implements regularly for signs of wear or damage, such as chipped or bent tips, rust or corrosion, or loose handles. Damaged instruments should be repaired or replaced immediately to prevent injury or contamination.

In addition to proper care and maintenance of dental implements, it is important to use the right instrument for the job and to maintain proper technique when using them. This can help to ensure that dental procedures are performed safely and effectively.

Overall, dental implement care is an essential part of providing safe and effective dental care to patients. By following proper care and maintenance procedures, dental professionals can help ensure that their instruments remain in good condition and function properly for years to come.

Advertisement