Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

• 15-03-2023 8:52am

Super Saturday

12:30 Scotland v Italy

14:45 France v Wales

17:00 Ireland v England

Current Table

Permutations

Any Ireland win - Grand Slam, Six Nations, Triple Crown

Ireland Lose with a BP:

• France win with no BP - Ireland win Six Nations
    • France win with a BP - Six Nations is decided on Points difference (Ireland currently +20 PD in table)

Ireland Lose with no BP:

• France win with np BP - Six Nations is decided on Points difference (Ireland currently +20 PD in table)
    • France win with BP - France win Six Nations

Prediction

England have made a pact. "It's not going to happen again"

"I don't know what the result is going to be on Saturday, but as long as we fight and have each other's backs, that's what we'll be going after," Ellis Genge.

Sexton indicated the opening half against Scotland was one of the most physical halves of Rugby he has played. I expect the same at the weekend against England as it's the one thing they walk onto the pitch with and throw at us. Hopefully it's controlled and we don't see reckless injuries, Ireland may well be dipping far into squad depth for this fixture.

I don't see Ireland backing down against whatever challenge England bring - they've weathered it against France and Scotland this tournament, Saturday will be nothing new to them.

Ireland to open England up during the first half and their physicality to wane in the face of another harsh defeat.

Ireland 35 - 13 England

Would you look at the happy heads on this pair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,533 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ireland to win 19-16

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ireland to win, don't think 'plucky' England will have enough to beat us, just hope no big injuries and Sexton gets the send off from 6 Nations he deserves. Its been a cracking 6 nations, not just our games, love this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hard to see anything other than a comfortable Irish win. My prediction is a close first 5 minutes and then Ireland start to pull away. Ireland by 25.

France by 30 against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

England will win 12-6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its remarkable how the tables have turned....back in the 90s, if we beat the english...that was sufficient and it would make it a successful 5 nations campaign!

It was enough for us to sicken them and deny them winning the championship....

Back to the present day....Ireland would simply have to play shìte for England to have any chance of winning....

And Ireland are just too consistent, too proud, focused and full of quality to let that happen....

Losing this Grand Slam at home would be a worse bottle job than any previous World Cup exit.....

Ireland 46 England 12

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 66,326 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't do predictions, just hoping for a confident win to send us on our way to the WC.

A win that doesn't leave any doubts about where we are atm. We need to clinically pick these guys apart and put them to the sword.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We'll win, but England's result last week will mean we probably won't absolutely batter them.

All I'm sure of is come about 7:30 on Saturday night I'm going to be pretty pickled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

cough

you forgot the permutation if it’s a drawn match. 5/10 must try harder.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

England could actually get themselves into bother if all they bring to the game is "Aggression".

I can absolutely see them picking up some early cards as they attempt to lay down a marker - They will have been stung by the media calling them "soft" and accusations of "not firing a shot" etc.

Irelands discipline has been excellent so far and will need to be again in the face of probably significantly increased shithousery from the English team trying to make a statement.

I think England will make it a dog fight for a while, but they will run out of steam and Ireland should put some daylight between the teams in the last 15-20 minutes.

Ireland by 15 to 18 points I think , but if England do indeed pick up some cards the margin could be more.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

real hard call for Borthwick here.

do they start Smith again, and play a more expansive game that came so unstuck against frame in twickenham... or do they start Farrell and Tuilagi and essentially play an 11 man game with 4 kick chasers?

both those styles will be picked apart by Ireland, but i feel the kick heavy game might be the best way to keep the score down. Peyper tends to allow mayhem at the breakdown, and can by psychitzophrenicly different by the end of the game than how he starts, so targeting garryowens and the resultant ruck may be englands best chance to find a way forward in the game.

i really do not fear a farrell tuilagi and slade midfiel, nor do i worry about a smith farrell slade combo. i would have feared a Ford farrell Tuilagi combo 3 years ago, but not now. Manu is injury prone, Ford is injury prone and only back, and Farrell is not hitting his heights.

ive a feeling that i fireland get a couple of tries ahead early on, english heads will drop an we could put in a bag full.

ireland 35 england 13

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The avg of this 6N is six tries per match. Are people saying this match will be below that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I remember in 2019 we were red hot favourites & England blew us away.

This is going to be so much closer then we think, especially our injuries.

My prediction is England by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭flatty

England are absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ireland were on a serious decline then and opposition had figured us out. Also England werent coming in afte a record defeat.What makes you think England will win other than comparing 2019 which is not really comparable? ON the injuries we have ready made replacements which we didn't have before .

God knows what happening in English camp after last Sat ,I can imagine they want this championship just to finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was also the first match of the 6N. A lot more can change between Nov and Feb than in one week in March.

Before 2019 we had just beaten the all blacks & won the grand slam & I think a series victory in Australia. I wouldn’t call that a serious decline.

England figured us out & showed the rest of the world what to do.

We have injuries to some of our elite players I don’t believe in the hype of some of the others yet, basing that off the Italy, Fiji & Australia games.

England are a much better team than they showed against France

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Sheehan and Doris are fit enough even to bench, and Furlong, Henshaw, Sexton and JGP are closer to full tilt - I can't see any way England can win this.

• Advertisement

I’d be shocked if the England management haven’t been doing an unbelievable amount of analysis this week on us.

I hope I’m wrong of course, I want to see them win the slam in Dublin.

im sure wales, italy, france and Scotland also did "unbelievable amount of analysis" on us , and they still came up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

England are better than the showing v France I agree. However the Fiji game was a B team run out. The Italy game we were missing Furlong, Sexton, JGP, Henshaw etc all of whom are back. The Australia game, well they are potential WC winners and we still beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 54,496 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Couldn’t be a better set up. Home game, England, GS, Patrick’s weekend. Hoping our lads do it.

and hoping some dickhead “fans” can refrain from the usual slagging and slating should we lose.

There is an awful lot to consider in these one-off games. Not just a world ranking. England could well come over and play a hell of a game. So much can go right and so much can go wrong, and throw in referee decisions and the bounces of the ball, and nothing is guaranteed.

Of course, but none of those were just flogged by nearly 50 point’s in front of their home fans against fierce rivals.

They will want to send a message

People think we’re going to absolutely hammer England, id be shocked if there’s more than a score in it to either team.

Well not just "people".

The bookies have the spread at -16 to Ireland, so not only fans, but also the people who pay big money to predict outcomes also expect us to hammer England.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Wanting to send a message" and "Being able to send a message" are not the same thing.

Nothing about how England have played over the last 8 or 10 matches suggests that they have the tools to beat the Irish team playing anything remotely close to current form.

I don't expect us to "hammer" them either , but I do expect it to be relatively comfortable on the scoreboard at the end.

It's Sport, so of course anything can happen but absent some kind of extraordinary event like an early Red card for Ireland or a host of injuries it's very very difficult to see where an England victory comes from.

Ah yes those expert’s have never been wrong have they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I doubt it will be close after 60 minutes, but if it is, Ireland's fitness, vrs England's fatness, should see us win comfortably, when your depending on the likes of Dan Cole your not up to much

Advertisement