Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorised blinds availability to Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I have 4 similar ones from Aqara. They are fine and do the job, however the chain is stepped out from the wall a little bit so for 1 of them the roller blind catches for a split second while moving in the position I have it mounted. I suppose I could move it but not really arsed as it seems fine after a year.

aqara one works with all assistants and HomeKit as far as I know - blinds go up and down each day based on sunrise and sunset etc - works very well and only needs to be charged every 2 months or so. Only thing is you need an Aqara hub for €30 or so

Overall these types of motors are much cheaper @ €50 or so instead of €150+ to automate each blind natively which wouldn’t work with HomeKit unless they were A/C motors for €300+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Plus 1 on the aqara units. Have them on a few blinds.

Also have 4 somfy roller motors that are excellent and obviously neater. Blind company from Baldoyle sold and installed the blinds and motors. Plan to go back to them and get a few more motors where aesthetically the extra is worth it Vs the Aqara.

Did you have to change the tube to get them to fit?

No they fit in their standard tube. They'd one guy on their install team really familiar with them who set them up with the upper, middle and lower limits and talked me through it.

I only got 4 of the somfy ones due to cost and they were for the windows with most solar gain. So they drop to middle when my stat hits 22.5 and all the way down when it goes north of 23. Temps still spike way higher on clear warm days but it's better than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If doing a refurb including rewire, how would people configure, power blinds? Presume wiring them rather than rechargeable batteries. We're an android home, it would be nice to automate, remote control etc, but would you also have a little button near the blind to open/close? Any recommendations for what to use etc greatly appreciated.

More about where to buy and what to buy....if people have found good value/quality blinds could u PM me please?

Anyone installed blinds that pull up from bottom rather than down from the top? We're fairly visible to the road with big tall windows, would be good to have light come in but not be on show.

• Advertisement

I’m not too sure but I read a year or two back that blind motors aren’t standardised but I’m not too sure how true that is. You’d want to make sure the wiring etc is appropriate to the company you’re going with ideally

in your case would Duette by Luxaflex (or similar) but suitable? I believe they can be electric as well as manual

If wiring pull 4 core to each area of interest. L, N, switched live for up, switched live for down. You'll be covered for any type of motor most likely then.

Pull all back to a switch box. You can get the likes of the shelly plus 2 but I'd suggest one for each "aspect" if you've multiple windows facing same direction. Argument for putting the smarts at the motor for more granular control too.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

Bumping this thread … has anybody any recommendations for somewhere to supply smart blackout roller blinds that can integrate with Home Assistant and also work with a physical remote control. Can install myself if necessary. The IKEA ones are not wide enough unfortunately. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re the aqara blind motors, I've pretty wide blinds around 2.4 metres.. would they be powerful enough to raise and lower the blind?

Advertisement