Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Velux or Dormer

• 30-01-2023 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Everyone, looking for advice on attic conversion of a bungalow. Currently have planning for a bungalow but thinking of resitting planning for a dormer. Architect isn't picking up her phone but I think house isn't making use of sea views. House might be turned a little to the wrong side but understand why as difficult neighbours beside my site and didn't want objections. Maybe I'm just wrong and I will be able to see the sea. I am thinking of converting attic but don't know if I should use dormer or velux windows. I want upstairs attic to make use of sea views so dont know if a number of veluxes or a dormer window would be best to make use of views. Can someone advise ? Dormer might give attitional headspace and I know I cannot walk straight up to a velix as won't be at a 90 degree angle. I don't know !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not easy to advise (specifically) without seeing plans and site layout plan (orientation). Generally speaking velux are the best imo. Have a look at the online catalogue and you might be surprised at what you can achieve with their use ... yes, at 90 degrees off the floor also. Dormers are notorious for being cold and drafty due mainly to poor workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asbestos1

Hi Muffler, cheers for response. Would you have a picture of the 90 degree velux window ? I cannot find anything online and very interested to see. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Dormer widows, as stated above, are not all all good for conserving heat in room.

They are very difficult to insulate round, and it is nearly impossible to eliminate 'cold-bridging' around them.

Velux triple-glazed (if you have good insulation in roof already) would be better for heating and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

may not work with a normal attic conversion, you may need storey and a half

Dormers are a disaster as discussed.

Go for a warm roof, with insulation between the rafters and outside.

Make sure the insulation can deal with solar gain

google decrement delay

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Would you go for double glazed Velux for South facing roofs and triple glazed for others?

That seems to be the approach for standard windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So triple glaze regardless of direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yep

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not the approach that professionals recommend. Maybe Johnny down the pub recommends that approach!

Advertisement