Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Company of Heroes 3

• 08-11-2021 12:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to Boards' new Search tool being quite poor, I'm not sure there was already a thread opened. What was arguably one of the best RTS games made, is finally getting a second sequel and TBH, much to my surprise. Between this and the C&C Remaster, the classic base-building RTS is getting a small renaissance.

So the big inclusion here looks to be a "dynamic" campaign map, the comparisons to Total War's own overworld view of things.

I loved the first CoH so much, and ploughed a tonne of time into it - even if I was never that good at it (always maxed out at around Lvl 10 in multiplayer). While like many, I never took to CoH2. The preview seems to talk big about the first game being the inspiration here, rather than the acknowledged, maligned sequel.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I absolutely adored the first one , it was all I played for nearly two years , the sequel did not hold my attention at all, I think that might have been from burnout from the RTS genre in general though, I will definitely pick this up , I will need a new computer I think though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As a turtler, I tended to gravitate towards the British, much to the occasional rage of opponents. They were such a brazenly defensive, dug in faction, but were perfect for a tactical coward like me.

Only briefly played CoH2 but IIRC their DLC was a little crappy? Think they added more factions on dribs and drabs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those interested, there's a Multiplayer "pre-alpha" available today; it's free to anyone who wants to try it out; which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

COH2's Ardennes Offensive was a brilliant DLC. Worth buying just for that tbh.

COH2 Multiplayer is brilliant, i've got nearly 3000 hours logged almost purely playing co-op in it. Great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Have you been playing the pre-alpha, @pixelburp?

• Advertisement

Haha, uhm, so TBH this thread has been acting more as a Public Service Announcement for those still holding a flame for RTS games. My PC is a potato, and through osmosis become a predominant Switch player (currently playing a RTS game; Northgard. lol) ☺️😂

Ha! Similar story here. Hopefully someone with a good enough PC to actually play modern RTS games will enlighten us. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I gave it a bash, there seems to be fps issues when panning, there are assets missing, it's all a bit janky but for a pre-alpha it's not bad. Seems like a mix of 1 and 2 never played the dawn of war games so don't know how much of an influence they are.

Played way too much coh 2 which I preferred to 1 any way. If it steers towards 2 a bit more I would be happy with that.

Sounds promising enough. I see there's a full sequel to Men of War on the way as well!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I downloaded it but it wouldn't work as the min graphics card is a 1070 or something, hopefully this won't be the case at launch.

• Advertisement

And the award for "weirdest trailer to promote a RTS" goes to Company of Heroes; absolutely bizarre choice.

New trailer; one that gives a better view of that Campaign Map. All looks like they're cribbing a fair bit from the Total War series - which is not a bad thing by any stretch. Wonder will this be Steam Deck compatible; I'd jump on the waiting list, if only for this game.

Liking the fact there is rail artillery!

Been delayed till Feb, gutted!

Ah poopsicles.

That's good IMO. Games always benefit from a few more months in the oven

Anyone else playing the multiplayer tech test?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Geez I forgot about the tech test, must try it.

Reviews are pretty good! There are some missteps (mainly with the campaign it seems) but overall it seems positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭brady12

got it for half price on cd keys

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭brady12

Man I wish my PC was able to play modern games; great to see the game is reviewing well, though seems like the Campaign map might be a bit of a PoS ... hopefully they can patch it into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thanks for the tip re cdkeys.!

Loved the first (less so the second) but am dying for a good RTS to play. Hopefully this will scratch the itch.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Just had a quick play of the opening tutorial and a skirmish match. Yup its more Company of Heroes. I think I'll hold off with the campaign for a while and just get stuck into multiplayer in the next few days. Just need to finish off Elden Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Looking forward to picking this up but between this and Hogwarts Legacy my list of games to play is full :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

initial impressions of the italian campaign 'total war' campaign

The tutorial is useless and the world map is buggy.

Those are the two main cons.

Everything else is at minimum interesting, at best a breath of fresh air in the strategy genre.

So working from Best to worst

there is a shocking amount of variety in the mission types. And I dont mean they did what the Total War games did and drop a few Story missions here and there in the campaign. The actual dynamic encounters actually throw up a varied set of circumstances, based on where you fight and what sides are fighting etc to vary the encounters, The story missions play like good solid Company of hero single player missions, they expand, and throw in dynamics etc. All good. They feel a tad on the shorter/smaller side then COH 1 or 2 (but when you consider the overall length I think I can see why) But the skirmish battles. Which happen when two armies dynamically engage are also pretty good, sometimes it'll not be a victory point battle but instead a mission where you got to lock the opposing army into their base by grabbing all the points around their base and then holding it. Sometimes it's a ticket match but it's a race to just hold the majority of the map. Sometimes you've got no base but have to defend 2-3 key emplacements with a set number of units. I dont know if there are more, I think there might be as it could depend on your company that is fighting and I've almost been esclusively fighting with the airborne company (more on this further down)

There a fun variety of secondary objectives too, these are random objectives added to the missions you can do for extra experience. They range from challenges like getting X kills using mines to testing out an AT gun by killing enemy tanks to minimizing casualties. One mission even had a supply plane shot down overhead or a convoy of damaged german tanks on retreat are passed through the area.

There is also variety in your armies and abilities, both from experience and unlocks but also from the circumstances, fighting in an area with partisan forces will get you some partisan abilities and bonuses, fighting near the coast with a battleship off it will get you coastal artillery call is during the battle and so on. I'm still not 100% clear what generates what effects. Some missions I was given the support of a medical unit which meant I had a call in for medical half track. This also effects the germans, they sometimes get bonuses that change their army make up a bit.

The campaign throws a lot of variety at you too, It keeps dropping in potential missions all around you, designed to appeal to the 3 sides on the allied command (British general, American General and Italian Partisan leader) Doing these missions earns you loyalty from the side that benefits from it the most, The british like it when you capture porst, build defences and connect territories. The partisans like it when you support their attacks and bail out their forces when they get surrounded or drop them supplies. The american general likes it when you push forward and break through the german lines. These 3 sides give you boosts if they like you more. But certain actions will upset each side. Taking things slow lowers american loyalty. bombing or bombaring italy using ships or bombers diminishes Partisan support (which is a good touch) not sure what upset the brit yet, I guess I'm playing to his style.

Once you work out how it works, the campaign map actually has a lot of varied features. There is a lot you can do on the map, and a lot to watch out for. There are different type of emplacements you can build and the germans can build, some related to supply, some are defensive (AT guns for armoured companies, mg nests for infantry, AA batteries for dealing with aircraft) every place you capture actually has a bunch of upgrades you can add to them, they vary from ammo dumps to ports to hospitals to partisan towns. Objectives are both marked clearly and have clear turn timers on them if they are time sensitive. It's obviously not HOI deep, but a damn good base for a potential Company of Heroes Total War cross over in the future. It does feel there is a lot of nuance here, its just buried under a bad tutorial and some bugs.

The missions are blessingly quick as well as fun. Those varied missions are also currently designed to be completed quickly, while a normal out of campaign Skirmish match could take up to 30 minutes to complete by draining tickets. Here the missions are designed to go a lot quicker. So I've not run into the issue I have with Total War where I start skipping fights I dont want to bother with. Also because you are not really building up an army size, the game does encourage you to play the missions over letting ai autoresolve as the AI would say both sides are evenly matched but in game you can find yourself easily throttling the enemy. So I dont feel confident in letting the AI decide a fight.

The first ehh not sure aspect is while there are a lot of mechanics in the game I am worried the AI is not using them to their fullest or they've not been fully thought through. I have a single airborne company waay further north then my other companies, I pushed them up to answer a partisan call for support. They are still by a very thin margin in my territory so are still supplied, but because they are behind the german defensive line every turn they get attacked by another german unit trying to push them back. Because I keep winning each of these engagements and I get bonus xp for fighting the battle instead of auto resolving I've now got a super buffed up airborne unit on the frontline. There is no means to exhaust my unit unless they push me out of my territory but they wont. There is nothing stopping the germans from retaking the town I took and putting my infantry out of territory (and thus they start losing resources everyturn) but they dont, instead every turn they attack and I get a bit beefier. Now the last time they attacked they sent a much more experienced luftwaffe unit, that I still beat, so they may just get stronger with each battle, but currently I am still winning easily and getting very experienced off it. I think they need to put in some sort of exhaust mechanic if the same unit keeps getting attacked over and over. Also I'm not 100% the mechanic for draining companies outside their territory 100% works, I have had plenty of german AT guns refuse to go away even after I circumvented them and took the city behind them.

The tutorial is useless, both in that it doesnt really tell you the important bits of the campaign and it does appear to be a bit bugged. My first time through it did not explain detachments to me at all. When I reloaded because I felt I had snookered myself it did explain detachments. It does not give any warning or explanation for emplacements so you are incredibly likely to lose your first company by moving around a corner into the line of sight of 2 AT guns which pulverize you. It doesnt explain the ability to heal or repair yourself. Nor gives a clear explanation of how airports work pass the scout plane. I had to reload the game because as part of the tutorial the game intentional puts you over in population 26/25 (does this by gifting you transport planes after you secure the airfield) so if you lose one of your first two companies you cant replace them without sacrificing your battleship or airforce as well.

The map has bugs, annoying bugs involving destroyed units or pick ups getting 'stuck' and not being able to interact with them but they remain on the map. There are bugs with tutorial prompts not appearing, or a fighter unit disappearing because it got shot down but the animation showed it landing. With a bugged stuka stuck in one of my airfields and my own AA battery keeps shooting at the bugged stuka and not at the actual stukas flying over head. I think the germans are meant to be bombing me but they just circle over head, while some of their AT guns have shot through mountains at me. Put simply BUGS!

Getting pretty bad reviews on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

I absolutely love it, it's a great game. SOme bugs but nothing too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it does feel like a swing back to vanilla coh away from coh 2 which has upset a section of the player base

Advertisement