Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue screen issue

• 27-12-2022 11:50am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been having a blue screen issue for the past couple of months and I'm wondering if someone could advise me on how to resolve it.

I'm using an Acer desktop with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I've Googled the error message but I was getting out of my depth so was reluctant to follow the online solutions.

The error message is FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE and I can't say for sure that there's any particular operation that triggers it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Try disable "fast startup" and Restart your PC:

1.Right-click on the Start button, select Power Options.

2.Click on Additional Power Settings

3.On Power Options Screen, click on Choose What the Power Buttons Do

4.Uncheck Turn on fast startup, save

Restart

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Corrupted page suggests (but doesn't guarantee) a memory error. Give it a run through of Memtest86+ and see how the RAM tests.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the replies.

I already have the Fast Startup disabled but I'll give Memtest86+ a go and let you know what happens.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry for not getting back to ye sooner.

I had no luck with Memtest86+ as I couldn't get the PC to boot from a memory stick.

In the meantime I read somewhere that the latest Windows update addresses the BSOD issue.

However, I'm now having an issue with that update failing to install.

It seems to be a common problem - the father-in-law is in the same boat.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022282)

Any recommendations for what to do next?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Blue screen usually means the system is corrupt or some physical hardware is failing. The acers and windows 10 os are a nightmare unless you stick with windows 10s or change to windows 11 or other operating system you best off getting a new device.

Certain brands are more reliable than others like hp or Lenovo. Updates only last for so long I had awful trouble with them and moved to a different pc and different operating system does the job I need it to do for basic things.

• Advertisement

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You need to determine if this is software (OS) or hardware issue, from there take action.

If unable to run third party tools, at least try build-in diagnostics

Thanks for that smuggler.

I ran that and got the following message when it restarted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

how many RAM sticks you got there?

Remove all, install one only, run on it. If work fine, note , remove, install another. Repeat til you get faulty one. There is possibility that non of them faulty, but might need re-seating, you figure through process of elimination

You also could run same test for each stick individually.

This does not 100% point to RAM - BIOS, MoBo itself(RAM slot) are still possible causes. To rule out RAM slot try reported bad RAM in different slot.

Some testing ahead... ☺️

Last year the RAM was upgraded from 4 to 8 I think cause the PC was running slow or locking up and that improved things a lot.

Would that tie in with your post above?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Is that single 8GB stick? Do you have old 4GB - try it(performance will drop, but for a test few days....)

If upgrade was 4+4 then still try each one at the time

Apologies again for the slow reply.

You were spot on about the RAM - one of the two 4GB sticks needed replacing.

That seems to have sorted out the blue screen issue.

However I still can't get the latest Windows update to install.

Any advice on why that might be or how I might resolve it would be greatly appreciated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just to add the updates it's attempting to install are KB5022729 and KB5022839.

Genealogy Forum Mod

try to delete this folder, then run "check for updates" and attempt to install whatever comes

It contains 1.5GB - is it okay to be deleting all of that?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes, it's just past updates. Anything absent will be downloaded again if it's needed.

Well I deleted the folder but still got the same result unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

you could try to download and install it manually. Install one at the time, reboot

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5022729

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5022834

No, that hasn't worked either unfortunately.

Both updates failed to install.

Could it be an issue with the update itself rather than my PC?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sufficient space on C:\ drive? >10%

Try update troubleshooting

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-troubleshooter-19bc41ca-ad72-ae67-af3c-89ce169755dd

No harm to run DISM and SFC

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

, you can wait out for next month update release as long PC does not run into troubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭thegame983

I had a blue screen issue on a relatively new build.

It was my M2 ssd. Apparently it wasn't set right. Reinstalled it. Fixed problem.

"...you can wait out for next month update release as long PC does not run into troubles..."

Never thought of that - be great if resolving it is that simple.

The issue day to day is that I can't get it to stop looking for updates every time I switch it on and it's unusable while it does that.

Prior to fixing the RAM issue I think the BSOD happened each time it tried to run the update.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There is settings to delay updates, within update page.

I am not saying it will fix on its own

Delighted to report that today I'm finally back in business.

As I've been doing periodically since this problem began I checked this morning to see if the updater might surprise me and do something different and that it did.

Some new updates installed and then after a few restarts the stubborn update installed without a hiccup.

So thanks very much for all the help - it's really appreciated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Was that the MAC?

I experienced blue screen of death on a netbook after 3 years to me it means the end of it only way to do anything is go into the bios. The longest lasting laptop I’ve had has been 10 years with windows anything else has never lasted longer than 7 years.

I have switched to chrome if it’s for basic usage I have found it much easier to navigate than Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭thegame983

Advertisement