Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Project website updated now with a junction for Bruree west of O'Rourke's cross Home new - N/M20 Cork to Limerick (corklimerick.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The new Bruree junction on N20 will meet the R518 just west of O’Rourke’s Cross.

The new Croom junction appears to be an upgrade of the existing grade-separated junction on the N20 Croom Bypass.

Details here: Document_A4_Portrait (corklimerick.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If the plan is for "mobility hubs" at junctions, why have they located some junctions further from the rail line when they could be quite close?

The Mourneabbey, Rathduff and Blarney junctions are all near the rail line. You can’t get close to Mallow station with a motorway junction for obvious reasons, but because the railway runs to the West of Mallow and Buttevant while the road runs to the East (the less populated side) it was never going to be possible to directly connect these, and Charleville would have needed a big diversion of the road.

There’s a small chance that if the old Adare line were reopened, the Attyflin junction would be a good spot for a rail P+R, but that’s it.

I was referring to at Buttevant (where the junction could be moved slightly north) and Ballyhea (where the junction could be moved slightly south).

Also, surely a junction on the northern side of Charleville is required? There will still be plenty of people who would have to drive down the main street to grt on the new road heading south. Even a relief road for the town would be something.

I'm not sure that stating that junctions will be at selected locations like this is a good idea. I'm sure there'll be some kickback from certain communities who will say they will bear all the negative aspects while got getting any of the benefits. It happened last time. I know people complain about consultations but they serve a purpose, they flush out issues and allow the project team to be prepared for them. Just announcing junction locations like this will give ammo to the objectors and I'm sure the papers will be full of articles about it quoting disgruntled locals next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

https://corklimerick.ie/february-2023-update/

The update is interesting and gives a sense of the amount of work being done. Difficult to fault the junction strategy apart from some questions around Charleville, but that was always going to be a challenge. There may be one or two junctions too many in terms of Motorway norms, but if built to motorway standard (such as they are in this country) the road should be well capable of handling the "local" traffic these suck in, always provided that these are grade separated and not those abhorrent mini trumpet junctions on the N22 and southern end of the M7. The number of junctions will also help attract traffic from all points west of the road giving it a badly needed gateway function.

The active travel strategy contains a lot of food for thought and is a constructive outcome resulting from the green noise. Hopefully that, together with the public transport elements will be enough to GreenProof the project and allow it to proceed when it gets to the business case, fund allocation and government approval stages. (Interesting to see the inclusion of the Rail Section in the update, even though this has nothing to do with the project at this stage or going forward).

I continue to be impressed by the deft way this project is being handled, especially given the challenges thrown up by a hostile and misguided minister.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I continue to be impressed by the deft way this project is being handled, especially given the challenges thrown up by a hostile and misguided minister.

This. Fair play to Limerick Council for the level of effort being put into making this project as friendly as possible given the current circumstances. They seem to be really making an effort to give this the best chance as possible of succeeding. It should also be fair to fund some of the parts of this from the active travel budget given the lack of pots to put some of that money into.

Re: the junctions. The junction strategy seems fairly sensible but for the situation around Charleville. IMO it needs one more junction, where it intersects with the R515. The junctions around Charleville need to be taken into the context of other traffic that's trying to get around Charleville, or access the N20. It's not all Charleville town traffic.

IMO the following would make the most sense:

J7 (R518) Bruree/Kilmallock/Ballingarry

J8 (R515) Traffic from NW Cork/Duhallow/E Kerry/Newmarket/Kanturk to Limerick; traffic from Abbeyfeale/Newcastlwest/Dromcollogher to Cork.

J9 (N20) Ballyhea/Charleville as planned.

I am surprised what I have down as J8 is omitted, there is a reasonable amount of traffic using the R515 to access the N20 and if there is no provision for a junction there. If there's no junction provided there traffic will still have to use the Main Street of Charleville to get to the N20 and the narrow Smiths Lane, which is congested badly at times due to the school. Sure, a relief road could be put in but would it not be simpler and cheaper to put in a junction.

I'm all for not having too many junctions on a motorway but at the same time if there isn't the right amount put in you just end up keeping too much traffic on the old roads and you lose some of the safety gains and whatnot. If this is supposed to be a Charleville bypass in the eyes of the Minister it's important to make an effort to remove as much traffic as possible from the town itself in the process.

If there is to only be one Charleville junction, it needs to move 1.5km further north and a link road provided going north to the R515 and south to the junction of the existing N20 and the Old Cork road there.

I'd hold back on praising the way the project is being handled until we seewhat sort of backlash there is from this latest update.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Something like that would be worthwhile if it was something like M11 J23 on the Gorey bypass.

Are you referring to backlash from people living along the route?

• Advertisement

Your J8 and J9 would be much too close to each other - just 2.5km separates the location of the current Charleville junction and the one you propose to add - basically you’d be constructing a junction complex just to serve a tiny amount of extra traffic.

R515 could be accommodated by a link road on the western side, but I’d be concerned that a direct access onto the motorway would be a magnet that would draw traffic through the town centre from the Kilmallock Road, out to Smiths Lane and undo the benefits of bypassing the town in the first place. There are major plans to rework the centre of Charleville once the bypass is in place, and I suspect this will include a new routing for R515 traffic

There are seven intermediate junctions, and they’re placed about 11~12 km apart. That’s a normal ratio for a motorway.

The transport hubs at each junction are a great idea- especially as they can also serve as rest areas: something that Irish motorways are lacking. Sometimes you just need a place to park up and see to a child or take a phone call, and placing these at each junction means drivers will use them, because it doesn’t involve any real additional distance. My one concern is how these will be maintained: some locations are quite remote, and there would need to be fairly regular policing to prevent them becoming sites for anti-social behaviour or vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rathduff16

Hi guys,

Just a general query if I may. I am living around half way between Rathduff and Burnfort. I would estimate the house is 50-60 metres from the current N20 (opposite train line side). My understanding is that the new road will stay online before going off line around Mourneabbey and going east of Mallow.

My query is, if the new road is to go over the existing road, how much would the road reasonably expand by?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The problem with Charleville is it kinda needs a link road built bypassing the town to the north - and that might be a step too far in terms of getting this project sorted.

All that said when the M20 opens I don't think there'll be any traffic problems at all there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Very schematic but could something like this work? They wont have the traffic from kilmallock go through the town or smiths lane after a bypass is done surely. although there is nothing to indicate any link from that side of town.

The red is obviously the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Strongly agree on how the project is being handled: really well.

On the active transport strategy they can do a little bit more yet, but I think it's still one of the best projects I've seen in that regard. For the first time a holistic approach to transport infrastructure design. Somebody is actually asking questions about the active transport route!

I had something like that in mind but wouldn't that be easier if the junction was a little further north? A relief road on the western side of the town could be easily done as part of this scheme, a well located junction would be half the work already. The eastern side could be done separately by the CoCo.

Surely the point of a project like this should be to facilitate planned expansion of a town like Charleville given housing shortage. A bypass and a single junction several km away alone doesn't help as much as it could, it needs to be linked up with the existing network to actually relieve the town.

Your J8 and J9 would be much too close to each other - just 2.5km separates the location of the current Charleville junction and the one you propose to add - basically you’d be constructing a junction complex just to serve a tiny amount of extra traffic.

Very fair point. It remains to be seen how they will handle this because it would be quite easy to accomodate a 2.5km link road to the R515 from the junction. 2 full junctions that close together would be a bit much.

R515 could be accommodated by a link road on the western side, but I’d be concerned that a direct access onto the motorway would be a magnet that would draw traffic through the town centre from the Kilmallock Road, out to Smiths Lane and undo the benefits of bypassing the town in the first place. There are major plans to rework the centre of Charleville once the bypass is in place, and I suspect this will include a new routing for R515 traffic

IMO (speaking as a former regular R515 user), the Kilmallock side traffic will (assuming no new infrastructure east of the existing N20) use the existing parallel road via the NCT centre to get to the N20 south. Limerick bound traffic won't go near Charleville.

The R515 is a rather busy road so I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.

There are seven intermediate junctions, and they’re placed about 11~12 km apart. That’s a normal ratio for a motorway.

Indeed you are spot on there. Aside from Charleville, all movements are catered for really. This is the perk of a full 80km motorway being built a lot in one go, some of the motorways with excessive junctions were built piecemeal so had numerous terminal junctions included.

We can assume the Mallow relief road and the M21 will be complete by then too so they will integrate further with the M20.

R515 west -> Limerick traffic would be quite inconvenienced using that routing, it's quite a it out of the way. You need a routing from Newtownshandrum -> M20 North that actually incentivises traffic to use that route otherwise it'll continue using the Main Street of Charleville or try to get to M20/R518 via Ballyagran and route lots of traffic down local roads.

The current road is about 15.0 metres wide along here, including the verges; a full Type 1 Dual Carriageway (i.e. a motorway with two lanes each way) would be 25.6 metres wide, including verges, so the worst case is that maybe 10~11 metres of new road would added on your side of the old one. There is no way on earth that there would be more than two lanes each way at this point on the route.

But really, your best bet would be to get in touch with the project team - they could give you a better indication of what is being planned, and you can make suggestions. The exact placement of the new road is not finalised yet, so if there’s going to be a problem for you, now is the time to talk:

the project office can be contacted on 061 973730 or info@corklimerick.ie, for further queries, or to arrange a meeting with the project liaison team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rathduff16

Thanks alot for this, very helpful. I will touch base with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭reddanmm

Hi can anyone tell me precisely how this will affect Banogue . I am looking at a site there and need to know the area that will be affected. The site is around the corner from the national school .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Have a look at the maps on the website. They show exactly where the route corridor is.

https://corklimerick.ie/

Thanks but I can’t make head nor tail of it . Is it going in behind the church .

@reddanmm If you’re concerned about how this project might affect you, you are better off to contact the project office and they can give you more exact and up-to-date information. 061 973730 or info@corklimerick.ie. That’s what they’re there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The map in the brochure clearly shows the new road passing to the west of the village. Whether or not that is "behind" the church depends on your perspective because the church is at a T-junction.

Thanks I have emailed them. As I don’t know the postcode I have given them the GPS coordinates hopefully they will give me more info . It looks like it is going in behind the site but how far back I don’t know .

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The corridor is currently 500m wide. If your site falls within this and you apply for planning the application will not be considered for decision. the application will be deemed premature until the corridor is refined further to anywhere between 50-100m for landtake purposes. Any plaaning agent should be aware of this so dont go throwing money down the drain.

Tender out for topographical survey of the route

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/237241/1/0

• Registered Users Posts: 12 csn453

The new road will probably be raised and will go west of the current road. The stretch from Glencaum to the Bottlehill turn off will have to stay more or less as is for residents and to keep those junctions open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Heard this second hand….. might be of use to someone….

N20 currently closed due to over turned truck. A tiny local road was used to divert traffic. That’s blocked now too as 2 trucks can’t pass. Traffic may be sent via dump road and burnfort. The other diversion route has a low bridge. Expect pandemonium from 4 to 6.

Advertisement