Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The government have done a terrible job with every department they have and I have had enough.

They have destroyed the DF. And people think they can fix the mess they created.

Niamh & Roisin would have been operational if the Fine Gael government actually addressed the real issues in the NS.

Bobo the clown would do a better job than the last 2 ministers of Defence.

Sinn Fein are not going to be the saviours if they get elected to power or any other party but they might do a better job and listen to Raco & Pdforra because the government are deaf.

I don’t have much confidence in FF either because the Tanaiste has a track record of spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You think Sinn Féin, who until relatively recently refused to even recognise the legitimacy of the Defence Forces of this State and who are still unclear about if or whether it would allow the DF continue participate in UN backed missions, will be the ones to fix it?

Pull the other one, its got massive shiny bells on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When FG had the reins, their man SC was the minister for Defence, also representing the same Cork South Central constituency that the main naval base and headquarters for the Irish Naval Service. So happy days you'd think, the Navy will get everything they need to be a functioning and modern branch of the defence forces.

How did that work out again...?

FG have form for this too, anyone with an interest in Irish maritime affairs will know exactly which political party was in power when Irish Shipping was scrapped overnight and Irish seafarers left stranded around the workld as their ships were arrested when they docked at their next port of call.

So not only are FG no better than any other political party, they are demonstrably worse when it comes to Irish maritime affairs. So for anyone muttering "be grand, carry on", pull the other one, it will ring out loud like a church bell on a Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

I seem to remember another TD from the same constituency who was also a Government minister in charge of the department that seems to be one of the other main stumbling blocks towards any change in the status quo at the same time? But sure now that hes over in Finance I'm sure things will be better...

What are ye on about, the first budget expansion towards LoA2 has already been introduced by the Govt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Coveney to be fair brought thru the Cion on Defence and index-linked budget increase for the level 2. It is D/per who oversee terms and condition in terms of pay, allowances etc …. That didn’t work out too well so far

So according to MM, a reduction of 33% in Fleet strength, amounting to a 56% reduction in 18 months, won't affect the NS capacity to carry out its tasks.

Thats the best I ever heard.

Do better Meehole. A lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

60% reduction in the fleet since we are down to only the becketts that is some drop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Realistically, for the last 2 years we have been operating as a 5 ship fleet, and fishery inspections are being done by a private contractor on behalf of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yeah that was announced a while ago, after all the issues with the rest of the surplus ships it was picked as the least worse option. The we could always have gone the reported Brazilian way and just let it float off into the ocean like their old carrier…

Nothing to see hear as the Navy can still carry out its security duties

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-navy-cancelled-patrols-almost-29138380.amp

Is Eithne now following Ciara and Orla to Hammond Lane?

If some council are willing to take 100% of the costs, fine have her, as I've said before its only going to end badly, but the Navy or DF shouldn't be asked for a cent for any works or support. Other than that, give her a clean end and scrap her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The first word in that article means stop reading

No totally agree scrap yard is where it should go but didnt alot of the media a few weeks ago say it was goingbto Dublin Port

I'm guessing that they might be hoping that with the change to Martin he might consider giving her to Cork instead of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think I'd be insisting that if any body decides to run and maintain eithne , that they get a proper estimate of how much it'll cost annually to maintain,

In a few years some save the eithne body will be trying to guilt trip the navy into lifting it off a river bottom somewhere and replating the hull ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭delboythedub

As an island nation would it be worth considering Leasing / donating the X naval ships CIARA & ORLA to the Sea Scouts etc as a national headquarters (afloat). Might create an interest for young people about a career at sea. Ciara could be rotated on a monthly basis between Cork and Dublin and Orla be rotated on a monthly basis between Galway and another port in the Northwest. I think that this could be a great opportunity for future generations.

And the money for sustaining them in sea going condition with a base crew is going to come from where exactly? Moreover when you consider the berthing arrangements of them, surely you couldn't pick worse ships of what we have to use?

I visited a decommissioned Navy ship museum once, it was pretty good. Probably because it looked like this.

There's also an actual Gemini crew capsule on the hangar deck that you can't see from here.

Been there myself, but I was with a couple of lads who had no interest so I didn't get as much time as would have wanted on her, but yeah a hell of a museum. But even then when you think of the costs of sustaining her...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Thingamebobs law.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Many years ago as a deck cadet, I trained aboard what is now floating restaurant Cill Airne. It went to "sea" about 10 times a year, max, usually no further than the old Daunt Lightship off Cork Harbour to take advantage of the lead lines for compass swinging. (google it).

As a then 30 year old vessel that had been retired from its active role 2 decades earlier, it required 2 full time employees to maintain it, Bosun and Stoker. In addition it had the expertise of the nautical dept college lecturers (all former ships masters or marine engineers) to do any technical maintenance, and the many classes passing through to carry out routine maintenance as part of their course work. To top it all off every summer it went for a full bottom survey, initially on the "gridiron" opposite the Marina in Cork, later to one of the Floating docks in Rushbrooke. Cork RTC had a considerable budget to maintain this vessel.

And this was just for a relatively small diesel powered passenger tender.

He is my local councillor, and unsurprisingly a waste of space. He ventured from his leafy home recently to try out the new cycle paths that have been built. He did not venture into the nearby industrial estates with potholes the size of the grand canyon, who's workers have been inconvenienced by the paving works. (which do not lead into the industrial estate, oddly). He went nowhere that he might have to engage with his constituents, instead happy to get the gopro footage of his lone cycle for his social media...

Anyone making statements to the effect that a former naval vessel originally maintained by a large crew 24/7 should first hold up a feasibility study showing how they will fund it.

Or else shut up.

Do you want to drown the kids? Then put them on Ciara/Orla. Otherwise keep them away. The Naval service has a long history of retired vessels sinking while under tow.

To put kids on the Ciara & Orla would be madness.

Little Johnny falling down the stairwell. Little Timmy falling off the top bunk in the 11 berth.

Warships are not kid friendly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

US museum warships routinely have kids (not unusually scouts) staying overnight. Museum ships are not cheap to run (especially not carriers and battleships), such adventure nights are quite commonly offered and you can imagine in the litigious US society if there were safety risks, it wouldn’t be happening.

• Advertisement

Is there a US Museum warship the size of the peacocks offering such a thing? The Peacock was designed as a direct replacement for the Ton Class in Hong Kong Harbour service. Priorities for space was the 2 engines, the Main gun usually found on a frigate, and 2 RHIBs for the RM team deployed aboard. Whatever space was left was used for crew. There are no wide open spaces.

Advertisement