Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Advisory OBT meaning

• 17-03-2022 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

Just passed my NCT on a 2016 Leaf. However there was an advisory which I didnt see u til I got home. It was under Visual Defects with the description 'Connection failure with electronic vehicle interface'.If I had seen at the time I would have asked for clarification. What I'm confused by is that it is under the visual defects section with no a toal OBD faults recorded. Any one know what this advisory means?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Got it on the other halves 520d last month too. Been meaning to ask around about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

It means they were unable to connect to your OBD and scan for faults

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭creedp

I use the OBD port to run the Leafspy diagnostic app and it works fine so I'm wondering why they werent able to use it or their diagnostics check.

Is this something I should follow up with Nissan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

Next time it be going for nct it will fail nct if can't do ob2 check.

It pure con this obd scans like my car got advisory about voltage too low in abs next time it will need to be fix like car don't think it issue ie no abs light on if I brake hard abs work . Like what ever wrong with it could cost big money for no reason

Did you have the dongle plugged in during the NCT?

• Advertisement

No I unplugged it prior to test. Is it possible it's simply that the tester couldnt locate the port?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Voltage too low on abs may mean abs will not work when needed. For airbags they may not deploy when battery voltage is low. In USA they need a pass on emissions from car odb or car will not pass.

It sounds like they are just trying out the odb interface system to see what cars give errors to see what sorts of fails they might get in the future.

It may be a bit of a scam but may back street garages fake abs and airbag lights, just to get them through the NCT. A friend worked in a car parts place. A dodgy device to fake airbag light was a big seller, meaning airbag would look ok, but was faulty. This new NCT check may pick up on these sorts of tricks. Many bypass DPF and hide the fact visually, but this may detect it . In the USA fake/false odb devices exist to basically fool the NCT into thinking the car is ok, when the real car odb is hidden and would indicate a fault.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I saw the tester fail to find the port on mine, leading to that advisory. Suspect if it needs any tools to find they just aren't bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

One of the requirements of an OBD port is that you dont need any tools to access it.

The Leaf's obd port is located under the steering wheel. Its normally covered by a plastic panel. However the panel is removed on mine as I use it regularly so no reason for the tester not to find it. I've plugged back in the obd dongle and it works fine for the Leafspy app so dont know what the problem is. Is there any option to go back to NCT to clarify the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

My leaf doesn't have any plastic covering the obd2 either, when I was viewing it I was easily able to find it to use leafspy. No idea why the NCT tester wouldn't be able to locate it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 glenval3

Hi

Can you let me know if you were able to get this sorted out? I'm looking at buying a used car but saw this same failure to connect to interface as an advisory on the NCT sheet, when I asked the seller for the NCT report.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Arnout

On my car you have to take a panel off, which requires the use of a screwdriver. Not that highbrow, but still a tool.

Its not something that needs to be fixed. Its completely irrelevant.

In the NCT manual it says this is something they can fail you for. So not sure how it's irrelevant

I don't think some NCT guys even check it as it's only an advisory as yet. As I said in my case the OBD port was fully visible and accessible and is working properly and yet I got the same advisory. I'm ignoring and see what happens next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

I got the same advisory last year. I reckon that they couldn't find it. Showed the tester where it was this year and no problem or advisory!

They can’t fail you for OBD faults. Advisory only. I get one of these advisories for most of the cars I NCT these days.

They can fail them, they just aren't doing it yet. The NCT are pretty clear on this.

Sure, and they could start failing for having a red car too. But right now it is advisory only and there is no date or timeframe set to start failing it.

Not sure why your being defensive, your considering not buying a car because of an OBD fault, I’m just pointing out that its not a valid reason not to buy the car. If everything else is okay then I’d have no problem purchasing.

Anything could happen to the car in the next 12/24 months that could be an NCT failure. Its all a part of owning a used car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I was buying something that had that noted on the test, I’d at least make sure the OBD port was functional.

Advertisement