Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are you just admitting to not watching the game?

If the 49ers defense weren't 'on-point' then the Eagles offense was extremely poor yesterday.

In the first half, when the game was in the balance, the Eagles had a worse yards per play than the 49ers with their 4th string QB (4.4 vs 4.9) and that includes a tiring 49ers defense due to time on the field and the long 4th down for the Eagles that the refs clearly got wrong.

Despite playing for nearly half the game without a QB who could throw the ball the Eagles only ended up with 0.2 yards per play more than the 49ers.

Their much hyped run offense ended up with 3.4 yards per play and Hurts -1 yards rushing in the first half. Add on top that Hurts only had 121 yards passing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought the 49ers defense was playing very well first half yesterday. The Eagles had some short fields due to turnovers but they played Hurts quite well, pass rush not getting too greedy. They gave up a few too many penalties but a lot of those were tough calls I think.

If the game wasn't over at HT it certainly was once Johnson went down. I saw a few people calling out Shanahan for not being more aggresive with his play calling, obviously not realising Purdy literally could not throw it past the LOS.

Officials I thought were awful both games. Missed drop by Smith, BS PI on ward, BS roughing the punter on Mason, not calling roughing on Burrow, whatever the f**k happened with giving the Chiefs a second attempt on 3rd down because of a clock management issue. Just a complete sh**show from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The injury to purdy and Johnson ruined it as a game. Could they not have tried Mccaffrey at least once ? Sending purdy back out to hand the balls off was nuts. The eagles just had to crowd the box.

The smith no catch was very fortunate on the eagles part but not the first time a team has hurried to get a play off before it can be reviewed.

I don’t think the PI call on ward was BS. He swung the player around. The punting call was a bit a bit fortunate but the eagles got screwed when the ball hot the wire and between the officials and New York they couldn’t see it.

the explanation I’ve seen for the second go at third down was the clock was running when it shouldn’t have done and the side judge was trying to stop the play from happening.

Officiating this season at times has been shocking.

They tried one of the trick plays with CMC at one stage but it didn't work out. No team spends any significant time planning for situations where both QBs get injured - if you ever get to that stage you're completely screwed against any NFL defense. More likely that CMC or Deebo could break off runs handed to them by Purdy than CMC consistently make a pass, especially as CMC likely wouldn't even be able to cleanly get the play out in the huddle (QB4 who practices was struggling with it before being knocked out).

Agree that teams have hurried to the line but during the playoffs the officials have repeatedly stopped games to 'discuss' (i.e. wait for NY to give them the answer). It is that complete inconsistency is the problem - they shouldnt be picking and choosing who gets this benefit.

Eagles didn't get 'screwed', losing a few yards on a punt is completely different than a terrible 15 yard penalty on a punt that brought the Eagles into FG range, kept a drive alive that they then scored a TD on. I could write a massive list of other very questionable/inconsistent decisions that went the Eagles way but in the end it didn't matter, once Purdy went down they needed all the luck in the world to win and that chance went to absolute zero when QB4 went out.

Hopefully the officials got their bad games out of their system and we get a well called Super Bowl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wasn't trying to make out that any team got screwed necessarily, more that the officiating was awful in both games and was completely unacceptable for games of this magnitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yes, 100%, not sure if you watched the game but niners defense was on point for majority of the first half, the first big play shouldn’t of been allowed as the ball clearly bounced of the ground, niners should of challenged. The offense mistakes caused the so many problems, Niners didn’t have a QB for most of the game, how you think that it wouldn’t be closer if niners actually had somebody that could throw the ball is baffling. Niners made some poor penalties at key moments but that was frustration also, you don’t have a QB and know you can’t win this

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I watched every month mute if both games.

If a defense gives up 31 points then they are not on point. They gave up four TDs and one field goal.

I also said in my post that they were on the field a lot and that it made a huge difference to how things transpired.

I also said they only got one sack.

In the second half they were not that good. Obviously they were tiring after spending so much time on the field.

I honestly have no idea why you have an issue with my post.

You can put up all the stats you want but the biggest one of all is 31 points all scored by the offense. And all four were rushing touchdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

1-1 takes me to 183-101 for the season.

Very disappointing night really, with the first game being such a non-event and the 2nd being decided by a penalty rather than any great piece of play. Two very different teams with two very different skillsets in the superbowl, here's hoping it makes for an entertaining game. I'm totally on the fence either way, would be happy to see Mahomes add another one to his tally and start stacking them up, at the same time I think the Eagles have probably been the most consistently good team all season and would have no issue with them taking the spoils.

Gonna really miss the games on Sunday nights. What do you guys typically replace the NFL with in the off-season?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

The NFL offseason! It's never ending. You have to really like your news, but it's really only a few weeks after OTA's in June when it goes real quiet! Superbowl leads to the combine into free agency into the draft, into OTA's! Then its camp time, preseason & wham Week 1!

I know what you mean, I do stay in touch with my favourite podcasts and websites alright but I mean more specifically on Sunday nights. It probably says alot about my life that I find it hard to fill the void that Redzone leaves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's an XFL starting on February 18th. These things have never really worked though, albeit the 2020 attempt was unlucky to run into Covid.

2023 XFL season - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

1 - 1 which brings me to 183 -101 overall

The 49ers must be the most cursed team with injuries but in saying that the Eagles look very impressive on both sides of the ball.

Chiefs did enough to get through and considering their own injury issues they also deserve a lot of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

2/2 a 100% round for me, first and only person to ever achieve it and puts me top of the leaderboard, uncatchable with only 1 game to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Actually I've gotten every game right this year, just forgot to post the first 20/21 weeks or so but it still counts, better luck next time.

183-101 coming in:

Chiefs @ Eagles

I really have no idea who's going to win this one so I just went with who I think the better QB is. Two great teams who've both had great seasons, be happy to see either of them win it. Just hope it's close and exciting.

Eagles to win it.

183-101 overall

Chiefs @ Eagles

It's really hard to call to be honest. The Eagles have looked the more dominant team in the playoffs although they definitely got a lucky break with the 49ers injuries.

Carr trade or release needs to happen by Wednesday so that will take up a news cycle or two as soon as the SB result has been picked over

The turtle has picked Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

1-1 and I had picked the chief’s initially but changed my mind.

170-113.

• Advertisement

Made the split last week in my suicide league, so basically we all got 2k each and are playing for 22k this week.

But I’ve paired up with someone else so guranteed money no matter what, we where the only ones to do it, makes sense to me, something is better than nothing and might get lucky and picks leans heavy on one team and that team loses

I was picking KC, Mahomes is legit and I haven’t seen Phili tested in the past few games, they have done what they had to do in great fashion and might be legit but I haven’t been 💯 on them this year, I’ll just back Mahomes before Hurt all day long.

My favour Super Bowl of recent years, or maybe ever, has gotta be the Patriots comeback vs Falcons, what a master class from Brady that 2nd half was. But the Eagles vs Patriots final a year later is right up there, it was near perfect offensive play from both teams and a performance for the ages from the backup qb mvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a Patriots fan but I'd put the Steelers Vs Cards from the 2008 season up there. Fantastic game.

184-101 for the season.

Great great game. Bit like the AFC Championship though, hard not to be disappointed when a game like that gets decided by a penalty as opposed to a really great piece of play, regardless of whether you think it was a penalty or not. Still though, you just have to marvel at the skill and athleticism of these quarter backs. It's football from a different planet at times. I really don't know what more Hurts could have done, he put the team on his back and took them to 35 points, against most teams that would be enough. Not these Chiefs though.

I take my hat off to Reid for what he's built there. To have the courage to move on from Hill, re-write the script and still take it all the way to a ring is legendary stuff and it bodes well for the Chiefs chances of maintaining this success throughout the Mahomes era. At least for as long as Reid stays around.

Tough break for the Eagles, I'm not well up on their cap situation or what chance they have of maintaining that cast around Hurts for next season and beyond, but with the way he's playing and the reality he still probably hasn't reached his ceiling I think the future's bright there for many years to come.

Just want to say big thanks to all the regular contributors in here throughout the season. Always really enjoy the craic here and reading everyone's predictions and reviews. Can't believe another season's in the books, this year is flying round already. Roll on kick-off for next season. It'll be my (and I'm sure may on here) first season watching where Brady won't be involved. It's been a privilege to follow the game in his time and the league won't be the same without him. Thankfully there's never been a better era of quarter back play to enjoy and a few potential future GOATs to get behind.

Pretty happy Eagles lost, not a great fan base, coach is a bit of a dipshi., they have been a bit cocky, nice to see them taken down a notch.

Not happy with that call though, very weak call to decide a Super Bowl, that’s just my opinion.

183 - 102 at the end.

Well the Eagles despite their QB having a great game could not do enough on defense to stop Mahomes. We'll never know if the 49ers would have done better.

Well done to @collybyrne on a hard fought season! Thanks to everyone else for playing. Already looking forward to next year!

Advertisement