Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That's a great run. Congrats on the PB. Nosebleed territory 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ah the nosebleed sounds more dramatic then it actually was, its just a thing I've been prone to since i was young. At least this time i didn't have a white top on!

Just a week of recovery runs after the race although i missed a couple of days owing to life stuff and a small bit of laziness!

Back into it this past week...

Mon 11th- Handy 8 miles mostly done the other side of the Shannon. Headed up a back road that brought me 3 miles into my run but from which my house was still just over half a mile away as the crow flies. Nice relaxed run to start the week.

Tues 12th- Speed session day! Gentle session to get back in the habit although after a week containing a lot of junk food and wee bit of alcohol i was apprehensive of this one. A 20 minute warm up around the bog loop and then into the 1 minute on/off alternates to be repeated 20 times. I was generally aiming for around 5:35 pace but it's always difficult to judge pace in such a short rep. The net effect was the the 20 intervals were in the range of 5:18 to 5:32. Happy to get that one out of the way considering all the dirty diesel in the engine!

Thurs 14th- Out on the road with work today so did this one on the way home after pulling in at Bornacoola church in Leitrim. Did my go to loop around the really quiet locality. Don't think i met a ingle person the whole 8 miles around. Tired legs to start after walking up and down rough land in wellies all day but soon eased out and was having to keep the pace in check a bit after that.

Fri 15th- Mrs CBG was on long days this weekend so brought forward the session 24 hours to fit it in. Another day out on the road traipsing land so was n't sure how the legs could react to a bit of speed. Decided to do it around the bog and the clonmore loops combined. 15 minute warm up and then into the first 20 mins at 6:15 pace. Not a breeze out today so after a slowish start this session was fine, with splits of 6:15, 6:14, 6:09, and 6:18 for the small added bit at the end of 3 miles. Straight into the next 20 mins then with a goal pace of 6:10. Legs are properly warmed up now as we exit the bog loop and start into the clonmore one. Roughly a mile of this loop is on the HM course i did a couple of weeks ago and this section feels so much easier than the slog i was feeling at this exact patch of road in the race! The 20 mins finishes halfway up a decent incline, nice one! Splits are 6:07, 6:05, 6:09 and 5:48 for the partial bit (i guess i just attacked that incline a bit too vigorously!).

Sun 17th- 8 easy miles. Didn't get out on Saturday with various kids stuff on and myself and the 3 of them tackled their playroom area to try and get it cleaned up and get rid of stuff they no longer play with, 4 hours later it was finished up 🙄 although i still managed to squeeze in time to watch that Man Utd "performance". Was going to head out at 9 pm when the missus got home but it was lashing rain out so that drained my enthusiasm! Nice handy run around the locality this morning. Nice to be back in the swing of things.

Thought i was sorted for a race as i came across the notice in the confirmed races thread about the Ray D'Arcy run in aid of Laura Lynn Charity. 45 quid for the HM but its for a good cause but the sign up ended when I came across the note that all participants are also required to raise or donate 100 euro for the charity, ah here! I'm not going paying 145 to enter a race around Phoenix Park no matter what the charity is and i hate the thoughts of getting the begging bowl out for sponsorship so I'm not doing that either. I sent an email to them about it so hopefully there's a work around!

P.S. Watched a BBC documentary a few weeks ago about Nirvana touring Britain. Have been wrecking my wife's head ever since asking Alexa to play "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah", what an album!

Mon 18th- 8 easy miles. Back in the office today so headed out at lunchtime. Was one of those will i wont i type things beforehand as the weather wasn't too enticing looking out the window. Wasn't bad when i was out in it. Mundane run out through Mote Park and then back in along the main road back into town.

Tues 19th- Session day again! Working from home today so headed out shortly after dropping the kids to school. Was absolutely belting rain as i dropped them off and again at lunch time so just about picked the perfect time to go out and avoided a soaking. Down the main road as part of the warm up and turned off for the bog loop but had to double back fairly quick as the road was closed around the next corner with it being resurfaced. Decided on the fly to keep heading west bound on the main road instead. 20 minute warm up and then into the first 20 minutes of faster stuff. The aim with this block was to keep a consistent 6 min/mile pace throughout. First mile was fine as although i was heading into a bit of a breeze the majority was slightly downhill. The majority of the next mile was up a decent incline so had to work harder here to maintain the pace but managed it none the less. Turned once this second mile beeped as the next section was going to take me up a pretty decent incline so thought better of it. These splits came in at 5:58, 5:59, and 5:59 for the half mile bit.

A 5 minute recovery trot before the next bit of the session- 10 x 1 minute on/off. Wasn't too worried about this bit beforehand after doing 20 reps the previous week but will never underestimate these shorter intervals again! The last 3 were really tough and the intervals seemed to be over in a flash! 5:30 pace was the aim for these and they finished up ranging from 5:19 to 5:32 (8 under 5:30, 2 over). A 5 minute recovery shuffle again mainly thinking how do i get going again for the last 20 minutes once again at 6 min/mile pace.

Back onto the main road hard shoulder for the very start of this block. Decided to head west again as i was less then 2 miles from home at this point and didn't want to risk taking the easy way out and maybe giving into the pain if i could see our front door. Back into the headwind and downhill and turned once again around 10 minutes into it to even things up. First 2 miles were thankfully fine although the last half mile section was tougher going. Splits came in at 6:01, 5:%9 and bang on 6:00. Nice session to have out of the way!

Thurs 21st- Back out on the road today with work so did this one before i got home. Bog loop still out of commission so decided to do the old/new main road loop instead. First 2 and a half miles took in part of the HM route i did a few weeks ago and the first of the pair of hills in it. Amazing how much easier running up a hill at over 90 seconds/mile slower than race pace is! Threw in some strides once i had the uphill/downhill section out of the way.

Fri 22nd- Bog loop back in the game so used it today. Non descript easy run with he only observation being seeing some bas***d had thrown a dead dog into a drain along the side of the road at one point and then back on the main road a lovely Barn Owl had become road kill in the hard shoulder ☹️ Never seen one outside of a pet farm type environment. Not the way i wanted to see one either.

Sat 23rd- Long run with 80 mins @ 6:45/mile pace. Took in a new loop to me for this one after seeing some of the locals use it on Strava. The first 3 miles i would have ran lots of times but there is some awful blind turns on it so left it a bit later in the morning than planned so that i didn't join the previous days roadkill. Didn't feel great during the 20 minute warm up for whatever reason and had a decent sweat on already despite taking it nice and handy. The first mile of the faster stuff was an awful slog, looked down at my watch around halfway through this mile to make sure i was bang on pace only to see i was only at 7:20 pace, still sweating loads and that vague sense of stars in my eyes, not good! Almost baled on it right there but said I'd try for another mile and see how things went from there. Thankfully the body felt much better after that and the new route was a great distraction (although at the halfway point i had that awful sensation that i had taken a wrong turn and would end up miles and miles from home before i realised it but it all worked out ok!) The first mile was way over time at 7:00 but the next 11 were all sub 6:45 with the last 3 being the fastest of the lot down towards 6:30 pace. Horrible start but really enjoyable run afterwards. This run also confirmed by love of the Saucony Pros, what a shoe!

Sun 24th- Out and about on the local loops, nice one to ease the legs out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just watched that Nirvana documentary myself - really enjoyed it. There was something with Dave Grohl on after too which I've saved and will get round to at some stage.

Great going on the running front recently too - love the consistency.

Thanks A! I'd imagine you have seen Montage of Heck as well? Very good but quiet sad too.

Mon 25th- Easy 8 miles on the bank holiday. Running up and back out one of the cul de sacs i could hear panting behind me getting closer and closer, turned around and a big Boxer dog i hot on my heels. I like dogs but still not a nice feeling when you see one of these lads closing on you fast. Once i turned back on myself he again fell in behind me and seemed to get angrier the closer i got to his owners house, had to do the stop and turn trick a couple of times to make him back off. Needless to say I'd say the heartrate was above easy levels in this bit!!

Tues 26th- 10 x 3 mins @ 5:45

Really windy day (have i mentioned that i hate running in the wind!!). Depending on my mood these are either a manageable just a 180 second interval or a tough 800-850 metre interval! Today they were on the manageable side. First 3 into the wind, 3 with it banging in from the side, next 3 with a lovely tailwind and last one back into the wind and slightly uphill. 2 minute recoveries between intervals, all came in on pace thankfully in a range of 5:40 to 5:45. Finished up with 12.4 miles for the overall session.

Thurs 28th- 8 miles at easy with some strides thrown in halfway through the run. Found a euro on the road around the 6 mile mark, happy days!!

Fri 29th- Session. Brought this one forward a day as the missus was working on the weekend. Headed around the bog loop and up the old main road for this one. 20 minute warm up with some strides to get set and then into the quick stuff. Lovely day out for a run and a really enjoyable one where things just click nicely. Splits of 6:10 and 6:11 for the partial bit in the first 10 minutes and then6:05, 6:06, 6:09, 6:05 and 6:07 for the last partial miles for the 30 minute section. Finished up with a 10k PB of 38:01, slightly annoyed i didn't go 2 seconds faster during it!

Sat 30th- Dropped kids in with their granny and headed out and back along the main road for an 8 mile run at an easy pace. Lots of SUVs with kids bikes on board heading back to Dublin during this one with mid term break finishing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Sorry lad, didn't do great job describing it! It was 10 mins at HM pace and then 30 mins at 5 sec/mile quicker than HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great session 👍

The week from 1st to 7th was a step back one so nothing major just all vanilla easy runs.

Mon 8th- Halfway at work today so snuck in an easy 8 miles before starting into the school run. Just the usual lap around the bog.

Tues 9th- 10 x 2 mins @5:45 and 10 x 1 min @5:35 session.

Did this around the bog loop again with some out and back add ons to make up the mileage. 20 minute warm up with some strides before getting into the fast stuff. 120 second interval is a nice sweet spot, fast alright and they do hurt but they are go by quick enough. Met about 6 cars out on this one and somehow I was always meeting them during the recoveries so i must have looked great getting a sweat on while just shuffling along! The 2 min intervals were fine, 5:45 was the general target while the actual splits ranged from 5:38 to 5:42. Thought i had the back of this session well and truly broke after completing this part of it but those 10 x 1 minute intervals pinched, well more so that the recoveries were now only 1 minute as well! 5:35 was the aim for these and invariably i was well under this pace at the 30-40 second mark so had a bit of extra coasting time. Must learn to pace these better for more consistent effort. These ranged from 5:20 to 5:33. 20 minute cool down shuffle back to the car.

Thurs 11th- 8 easy miles around the Mall loop in Longford. Used this loop for the first time in ages the previous week while one of my sons had soccer training. Most of it was hard gravel path the last time i used it but its now tarmac the whole way around and is a nice loop for Longford Parkrun. Really windy and spitting rain on and off so had the loop almost to myself for the majority of the hour+

Fri 12th- Out on the road today so did this around the bog loop before getting home. Quiet enough out apart from a few tractor hedge cutters. Legs felt a bit tired and heavy today, making for an apprehensive feeling for session the following day.

Sat 13th- 40 minutes @ 6:05 pace

Busy morning so was afternoon getting out for this one. Drizzly grey day out was hardly welcoming but no excuses but to get it done! 20 minute warm up with some strides to get ready for the pain train to come. The session was 40 minutes at seconds/mile faster than HM pace which was 6:16 for me the previous month. Levelled it off as a target of 6:05/mile. Started off way too fast as usual before settling into it. Slowed up a bit too much going up a short sharp hill so first mile was 6:06. Upped it a small bit to make sure that didn't happen again and to win back that annoying second lost! Started to feel way more comfortable after the second mile and knew at that point that there wouldn't be an issue meeting targets for the rest of the session. The full splits came in at 6:06, 6:03, 6:00, 6:00, 6:01, 6:02, and 6:01 for the 0.63 final partial mile. Happy to bank that one especially with it giving me a nice round 37:30 10k PB. Bit worried about trying to replicate it next week but for 50 minutes instead of 40. Needed not be worried though as i only read the training wrong and it was supposed to be 10 seconds/mile slower than HM not faster! I'll learn someday!

Sun 14th- 6 easy miles. Legs felt tired and heavy today needless to say! Cut it short at 6 miles instead of the planned 8 miles as a result. Major lesson learned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Some great training J! Hahaha I hate it too when I always seem to see people I know or cars go by when I'm doing my recoveries full of sweat, looks like I'm struggling running slow😂

• Advertisement

Back again! Was finding that i had been spending an awful lot of time online with my phone in the evenings flicking from one site to the next just for the sake of it so decided to ditch it for the month of December. Thankfully the world didn't end when I made the decision! Back now but being strict on myself and the number of sites I'll continue to browse, Boards A/R forum made the cut! So just to get back into the swing of things here's a run down of the past fortnight:

Monday 3rd- Just out and around the village and over the Shannon for an easy 8 miles.

Tues 4th- 15 x 2 mins @5:40 pace. In the office today so went out at lunchtime. Cut the warm up and cool downs as only so much could be fitted into the lunch break. Just up and down the road to Mote Park for repeats, fairly quiet out so didn't look too much of a fool! Managed to keep them fairly consistent and was hitting the same marker within a few metres each time. First couple were tough thanks to the short warm up but got into a routine after that but was glad to finish out Rep 15! Splits were 5:44, 5:19, 5:32, 5:31, 5:29, 5:38, 5:33, 5:36, 5:35, 5:38, 5:33, 5:32, 5:33, 5:40, & 5:40. Happy enough with that considering the shorts didn't really need to be string tied after Christmas excess!!

Thurs 6th & Fri 7th- A couple of easy runs around home. Threw in some strides on the Thursday run.

Sat 8th- 40 mins @6:25 and 6 x 45 seconds @5:35

A 30 minute warm up before the faster stuff. 6:25 for the 40 minutes which is HM pace plus 10 seconds. The warm up brought me to Longford Town FC ground. From there the 40 mins brought me around the bypass, back into the town and main street before turning right for the N5 and home. First mile was tough but felt ok once that one was out of the way. Splits were 6:24, 6:23 for the next 4 miles, 6:22 and another 6:23 for the partial mile. A 5 minute cool down and then 6 x 45 seconds at 5:35 pace with 75 second recoveries. Would nearly prefer to have done them without the 5 minute break but I guess making it tougher is the point! Finished with just over 16 miles for the day.

Sun 9th- Bit late getting out for this one so shortened it to just over a 5 mile recovery run to squeeze it in before lunch time.

Mon 10th- 7 miles at easy during lunch break at the office. Nothing too exciting, was a bit of a push to get out into the rain for it! That night I made my comeback to Astroturf footie after 12 years in the wilderness! Thankfully didn't make a show of myself on the ball and got over the initial shock to the respiratory system that the start stop nature of it in comparison to road running. Knew I'd be a bit sore the following day after it having not exercised like that in so long but my God the DOMS were unreal. Stairs were not my friend on Tuesday and if anything i was in worse shape on Wednesday which had me actually pulling my legs out of the car with my hands! Needless to say the midweek speed session went by the wayside!! One of my mates from it messaged me on Wednesday lunchtime saying he was getting back at the road running more so that his wife had a companion/security for her evening runs. little did we know w hat wold happen a few hours later. Shocking stuff, your heart would go out to the poor girls family. A real eye opener on how I take a run around very quiet roads here totally for granted.

Thurs 13th- Still a bit sore but forced myself out on the lunch break from the office for an easy 10k. Thankfully felt much better afterwards.

Fri 14th- An easy 8 miles around home, feeling better now. just the shadow of DOMS still in the legs.

Sat 15th- 50 mins @6:25 & 6 x 45 seconds at 5:35.

Same session as last week just an extra 10 mins at the faster stuff. Took the same route as previous week with a bit of a detour around an industrial estate in town to add on the extra distance. First mile is always a shock to the system but enjoyed it after that. Passed a few die hard dub fans while passing near Pearse Park in town. Splits were 6:24, 6:21, 6:20, 6:22, 6:19, 6:21, 6:20 and 6:25 for the last partial mile. Bit on the fast side but I'll take it! 5 minute warm up during which I could almost feel every muscle, tendon and ligament tighten up. Started into the first 45 second interval wondering why i was going so slow, looked down at my watch halfway through this one and i was at sub 5 min pace, weird. Got the remainder done at the required pace but glad to have it parked up all the same. 30 minute cool down felt really slow although when i checked the watch it was just over 8 min pace! Just under 18 miles for the day, longest run in a good while.

Sun 16th- Easy 8 miles from home taking in the village and other side of the Shannon.

So back up to date now! Got an email that the Canal Run in Longford is back this April and my entry from 2 years ago is good to go so will try the HM at that. Nothing else planned in the immediate future only getting fitter and back in shape (still lots and lots of work to do on that front!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

The astro part made me smile. Pretty much identical experience when I started again back in the summer. It gets easier, although a following day session will always be tough going. I step back from it when approaching any races. It's nuts what muscle damage a lil kickabout can do do an ageing body 😄 . Fair play, you seem to be in good nick on the running front despite your tighter shorts.

Ah Stop D, I couldn't believe how sore i was Tuesday and Wednesday. The foam roller seen more use in those couple of days than the whole of 2021! I'm going back tomorrow night though, hopefully the legs have now got over the culture shock!

Bit later than planned with this update but there wasn't a whole pile done last week so said I'd stretch it out to 2 weeks!

Mon 17th- Easy 8 miles out and back along the main road from home. Back in playing Astroturf that night for 90 mins. Was able to cover more ground this week but my groin area was awful sore after it. Another sore couple of days shuffling around ensued and could only sleep on my back for a couple of nights which i hate!

Session on Tuesday or Wednesday wasn't happening, tried to go for slow jog on Wednesday afternoon but couldn't extend to 3 steps with it.

Thankfully it was much improved on Thursday and with Mrs CBG working the weekend i attempted my long run on Friday 21st. i know if i was reading this in someone else's log i would be thinking "what an absolute clown" but i hated the idea of more down time and the niggle was feeling much better. What better way of testing it out than an 18 mile run!

30 minute warm up where i did a couple of extra loops around the village as i was sick of knowing the mile markers into and out of Longford town. Same route as last week but took in an extra bit of the industrial areas in the town before looping back out home. This week was another continuation of last weeks session with the time at 6:25 pace extended to 60 minutes. Groin thankfully felt fine and no niggle from it at all. Had a nice tailwind for first couple of miles and was able to stay on point through the town. Had to stop just after 6 mile mark as my laces had become undone and was a bit over zealous tying them up again and the tightness annoyed me for the rest of the quicker miles. The 9 full miles ranged from 6:20 to 6:26 with the last partial mile going out to 6:39 thanks to a horrible headwind and having to wait and dodge around an artic parked up in the hard shoulder. 5 minute cool down and then into the 6 intervals of 45 seconds at 5:35 pace. Got all these done pretty much bang on pace but can't say i enjoyed them on tired legs and into that flipping headwind but job done as they say!

Mon 24th- More easy miles to start the week and back in for more punishment at Astroturf! Felt fine for the full 90 mins and no DOMS apart from bit of a dead leg i picked up but at least i was able to race up the stairs once i got up home instead of googling the price of a stair lift!!

Legs just had that post session tired feeling the next day so just did another easy paced run and extended the session out to Wednesday instead.

Wed 26th- Was late afternoon getting out for this one, a really horrible dull wet evening that would have ya almost questioning your sanity for going out in it, especially with a sausage casserole starting to smell good in the oven! This week called for an initial 20 mins at 10 mile pace. The run calculator gave me a mile split of 6:05 for this off last years HM. Headed out around the bog loop, didn't feel any ill effect from the dead leg until doing some strides towards the end of the warm up but that was the last i felt from it. Splits for the faster stuff were 6:05, 6:02, 5:59 and 6:05 for the partial bit. Felt fine doing it but I'm well off holding that type pace for an extra 40 minutes! A 5 minute cool down and then into 5 x 2 minutes at 5:35 pace. I wont lie, these were tough going but managed to knock them out but so happy there wasn't a 6th rep! Only a short cool down as it was really closing in now and i stupidly didn't bother bringing a hi viz.

Few more easy runs the next couple of days to bring me into the long weekend run on Saturday.

Sat 29th- The faster stuff in this weekends run called for 30 mins at HM pace (6:15). Was going to head out first thing in the morning but it was howling wind and rain here so left it for few hours. Took in the bog loop again for it. 30 minute warm up before hitting the faster stuff. First 2 miles were out onto a strong headwind that called for a hard effort just to stay on pace but once these were out of the way it was relatively a case of easy street. Splits ranged from 6:17-6:13. The usual 5 minute recovery and then into the 6 x 45 seconds again. First 2 were done way too fast due to the tailwind, next 3 were bang on pace while the 6th was slow thanks to timing it perfectly to be a nasty uphill bit into the wind!

Family day afterwards, our first time in a pub/restaurant for dinner since start of the pandemic and then down to the cinema where the ladies watched Sing 2 while myself and the boys went to the new Spiderman movie, it was excellent btw!

Glad it was just a niggle for you! Spiderman was absolutely brilliant

Thanks E, yeah you and me both!

How's your rehab going?

Ah getting there slowly! Walked 4mins, ran 6mins*3 today without any problems so thats good! Doing my exercises & foam rolling daily too, I'm being very cautious because I just want to get back running consistently. Hopefully that won't be too long away!

Hadn't realised its been almost a year since my last update!

To keep things short 2022 went great up to about halfway through. I then made the mistake of signing up for a local 5K race to make my debut at the event and promptly got Covid! While i wasn't sick with it running turned into a real chore afterwards, first my breathing was really laboured even at easy paces and once that passed after a month or so my legs just felt continually drained at anything other than easy pace. This in turn blew my motivation out of the water meaning i think i only ran about 500 miles in the last 6 months or so of 2022.

Anyway there's nothing like a New Year and a clean slate to top up the enthusiasm and motivation levels although i had intentions of getting this log back up and running at the end of week 1 of 2023 and yet here I am! I'm not going flicking back through this log and avoiding the history runs on Strava to avoid depressing myself at how far my fitness has fallen but like Harvey Dent says "The night is always darkest just before the dawn, and the dawn is coming" (although wouldn't it actually be darker say an hour before the dawn rather than just before it!)

Anyway in terms of goals for 2023 i just want to get out consistently each week and get back into the routine of a once a week speed session with a long weekend run and everything easy in between. Keep it consistent and hopefully i can get to sub 3 hour shape for Dublin in October. Sure we'll see how it goes!

January 2nd- Just an easy out and back up the main road. My wife got me a small hi viz type vest for Christmas with flashing lights front and back that i wanted to try out. Did the job, she didn't like it though when i asked her how to turn on the indicators!

January 3rd- First speed session in almost 7 months. Nothing too taxing to upload from Garmin connect, just 20 mins running at 6:30 pace. Meant to do it at lunchtime at work but it was bucketing rain so left it til later and pulled in on the bog loop on way home. Had to run in and out rather than the loop as it was after 4 when i started and i had no light or hi viz with me. Of course the normally quiet road had a few cars on it today so had to step up onto the grass bank 3 times. The 20 mins was a bit of a shock to the legs and lungs after the lengthy lay off. Enjoyed it though but i think the scientific term is Blowing out my arse at the very end! First baby step out of the way, hopefully I'm looking back at this session and laughing later in the year.

January 5th & 6th- Easy runs at lunch time from the office. Through in some strides in the second days run.

January 7th- Another easy run out and back along the N5 with the hi viz (indicators still not working!).

January 8th- 40 mins @6:50 pace. Had intended doing this early to make room for one of the young lads soccer games but he stubbed his toe the previous day at a birthday party and it swelled up so had to do a trip to A&E to get it x rayed. All was fine with it but he's out of the game for 7 days. Ended up heading off just after 3 and took in the bog loop. My Garmin is on the brink and wont upload new or even old sessions so just did a 2 mile warm up and then upped it to keep a handle on the faster stuff. It was only after that i remembered all i had to do was hit the pace button to extend the warm up out to 20 mins instead but no big deal. Really enjoyed this run and the hit the paces no bother, could have gone longer but no point being a hero early doors. A nice confidence builder if nothing else.

That's that for week 1 of the year, hopefully won't slip so far behind from now on and actually keep it updated throughout the year, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Few questions if I may:

1. From following you here & Strava, why the lack of races the past 18 months?
    2. What’s your goals over the next 12 months?
    3. Beard’s, hipster essentials or sexy distraction for bald men?
    4. Finally, Rossie’s, Connacht champions elect or a full rebuild needed?

Good man B, hope ya are over your "little" procedure! Thanks for the questions....

1. I wouldn't be the most confident person in general and that extends to my running. I'd nearly have a fear of races and being shown up as an imposter because I don't get a PB each time, silly I know cause nobody else couldn't care less about what times I do bar myself.

2. I hope to stay fully motivated and get out consistently each week for next couple of months and try and claw my fitness back. I have an entry for Dublin so hopefully I'm able to get in proper shape and give that a good bash.

3. Haha ya hoor! I've actually been meaning to shave it off but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet after the time it took to get past the bum fluff stage!

4. The new manager talks a good game (a bit too media friendly for my liking) but we'll soon see how we're fixed in Div 1, no hiding places and I'd say realistically every other team has us marked down as a must win. We've been punching above our weight the last decade after having a good group of players come through together but I don't think they ever fully got the max out of themselves or maybe that's wishful thinking. Problem now is that that team have all aged together with very little younger lads holding their hands up. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to our trip to Castlebar this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I don't think you're unique in that lack of confidence. I would be of the view that 90% on here are the same. The other 10% are either liars or sandbaggers!

Your easy training paces suggest you are in a good place. Set yourself aggressive targets and go for them.

Thanks S!

Jan 9th- Easy just sub 8 miles around the locality. One point of note was it was my first run using my new Garmin 255, my old 235 finally gave up the ghost. Nice watch with some features that went over my head. It's also being telling me that my sleep pattern is restless but I'm certain that's from wearing a watch in bed which i normally don't do and rolling over and feeling it digging into my wrist!

Jan 11th- 20' @6:30 & 10' @6:30

Was supposed to do this on the Tuesday but had a doctors appointment that ran late for which i was fasting for to get bloods done. Was half 12 when i got home, was starving and it was bucketing rain outside so that made my mind up to skip it for a day. Doctor appointment was nothing like OONegative's visit! My dad was diagnosed with early Alzheimer's last year, no loss on him so far but i just wanted to have a chat about my own future prospects of getting it etc.

Headed out after dropping the kids to school. Headed around the bog loop for it. Bit nervy of the pain to come after last weeks shock to the system but it was a lot more comfy today helped by not blasting out of it in the first couple of mins!

Jan 12th- 7 miles easy during lunch break at the office.

Jan 13th- The missus was working long days for the weekend so knew i wouldn't be able to fit a long one in so brought it forward a day. A progression from last week with it being 50 mins at 6:50 pace. Found it a bit tougher than last week not helped by it being just the 2 days after speed session but got it done.

Jan 14th- Some easy miles around Strokestown while the eldest lad had indoor soccer training session for upcoming community games. Took in a road i was never on before and of course it ended up getting rougher and rougher before ending up in a farmyard. Doubled back and took in some loops around Strokestown house where they have the local Parkrun.

Jan 16th- Lunchtime easy miles from the office. Slippy out in places on the backroad but stayed upright for the full loop!

Jan 17th- Session day again. Ran along the N5 into longford today instead of taking in the bog loop which i knew would be lethal slippy.

Another progression on last weeks effort with the second block being 15 minutes instead of 10. Upped the pace slightly from last week to 6:20. First 20 minute block was pretty comfortable and brought me onto the bypass around town. Turned for home with a 5 minute break and straight away could feel an uncomfortable head wind that i hadn't realised was with me on the way out. The 15 mins at 6:20 pace that followed was a bit of a slog at times. My lace opened at the end of the first mile so stopped to fix it thinking i had paused my watch, looked at it again and seen i hadn't so aimed for 6:40 for this second mile which would have been on pace with the pitstop, managed to hit that split and stay on track for the extra bit to see out the 15 mins.

Jan 18th & 19th- Easy recovery runs

Jan 20th- Brought forward the long run 24 hours as had a lot on for Saturday and knew i wouldn't fit it in.....an early morning brain mri (a lot different experience from tv shows or films show, i can't remember any character being subjected to The Nolan Sisters while having one done, not sure what brain activity I'm in the Mood for Dancing is supposed to promote! Then off to Ballymahon for youngest and a soccer blitz and then back to meet vet and get some weanlings squeezed, some of ye city slickers are in for a treat when ye google that one!!

Back along the N5 into Longford again for this one. The extra day recovery from speed session made all the difference this time from the previous week. Had to find a good rhythm early doors but comfortable afterwards. Had to back off a couple of times once i was in town and had to use the footpaths which were still frozen in spots but avoided any slips. Finished the day with the almost 9 miles all being sub 6:50 and over 16 miles done which is my longest run since Covid last summer.

Jan 22nd- 8 easy miles around Strokestown while indoor soccer training was on. Had intended just doing loops of the Strokestown House area but a couple of the other parents had the same idea and because some of the loop has a couple of up and back points on it i kept bumping into them which became kind of awkward after a while! Just went out and back along the N5 both ways as far as the footpaths would allow to see me out.

Only bit i seen of the Utd game was from about 2 mins before the Arsenal winner which I'm almost certain VAR made a balls of because it was the pass to Zinchenko that should have been looked at but anyways it's great to have an actual functioning team again compared to the mess the last few years have been.

Jan 23rd- Handy 8 miles around the bog loop.

Jan 24th- Session Day.

Another 5 minutes added onto last weeks session and upped the pace slightly and had a target of 6:15/mile for the 2 20 minute blocks. Small bit of procrastination before this one with the thoughts of the pain to come!

Did the clonmore and bog loop combined for this one but in reverse just to break up the monotony. Usual 20 minute warm up with some strides in the last 6 mins and then into the fast stuff. The first 20 minute block was predominantly into a bit of a headwind but happy with how it went, i wont say it was comfortable but finished with splits of 6:13, 6:14, 6:13 and 6:12 for the partial bit at the end. 5 minute recovery and then into the second block, First half mile was back on myself so had the help of a tailwind. Was tempting to continue on this route instead of turning right onto the bog loop but won't get anywhere cutting corners so thought better of it. First mile was too quick thanks to the help from the elements at 6:10, but started to feel it after this not helped by the full on crosswind now across the open section of the bog. Still kept it together with splits for the next 2 and a bit miles all being 6:13. Enjoyed the cool down after that and finish up just over 12 miles for the day.

Jan 25th- Would usually take a rest day here but was lovely day out so decided to make use of it and at least i could be flexible later in the week.

Jan 26th- 8 easy miles around the bog again. One of those runs where you bound about almost effortlessly and you feel genuinely sad for all those non runners who don't get to experience days like these! Helped along by having an ear-worm of various songs from Nirvana's live album From The Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, just brilliant!

Jan 27th- Long Run.

Scaled back from last weeks 1 hour effort to 40 minutes but the pace upped slightly to 6:45/mile. Back around the bog and up the old main road that could now pass as a feature in any apocalypse movie with the way the verges are starting to encroach onto the old road! Lovely day out but still a bit cold so still haven't gone on a run so far this year in a tee shirt. Miles passed by again without much stress, bit on the fast side with an average of 6:40/mile but no big deal.

Jan 29th- Easy miles out and back along the N5. Young lad's soccer team won later that day and Roscommon opened the NFL with a morale boosting win over Tyrone so not a bad old day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

That's a great week of running J!!!

Jan 30th- An easy 8 miles around the bog loop. Only noteworthy thing about it was a neighbour out on the loop as well for a cycle roaring Hello to me from about 30 metres behind while i was in a world of my own and frightening the life out of me! Checked afterwards could i actually see a spike in my heart rate at that corresponding time! Had been playing The Last of Us on PS4 the night before which probably added to the effect, still only about halfway through it so haven't started watching it on TV yet to avoid spoilers.

Jan 31st- Session Day. Slight progression on last weeks with the second 20 minute block being replaced by a 10 minute block and two 5 minute blocks but upping the pace progressively for the shorter blocks.

The aim for the first 20 minutes was 6:10/mile, only thing though was that it was windy out. Wasn't too bad for the first 10-12 minutes but once i got into the wide open section of the loop it was really beginning to piss me off and being a martyr to splits rather than effort i was having to work really hard to make the mile 3 split on time. Anyways these splits came in at 6:10, 6:07, 6:09 and 6:08 for the extra bit at the end. The 5 minute recovery feels ultra quick and then I'm into the 10 minute block with a target pace of 6:05. Wind was with me for the opening mile so this was relatively ok and came in at 6:04. Turned into a mini loop then so back working against the wind again for the second partial mile, tired to keep the pace consistent but when i looked at my watch partways through this second mile the pace had dropped to 6:20 odd, flip sake. Doubled down on it for the last couple of mins and brought the pace back to 6:04 for the 0.65 miles to finish out the 10 minutes. Another 5 minute recovery and then into the first of the two 5 minute blocks. First one was with the elements so handy relatively ok hitting the target of 6:00/mile pace and ended up finishing it at 5:57. A 3 minute recovery and then into the second 5 minute block. First part with the wind, second part against it, finished it at 5:58. Very slow 20 minute recovery run home after it!

Feb 2nd- Easy 8 miles with some strides during lunch at the office.

Feb 3rd- Missus on nights for the weekend so moved the long run forward to Friday to fit it in. Back around the bog loop again for 50 minutes at 6:45/mile pace. No real wind today thankfully made this so much easier than it could have been. The splits for the 50 minutes were 6:40, 6:43, 6:44, 6:42, 6:44, 6:38: 6:41 and 6:43 for the half mile at the end. Fairly controlled throughout, never under real pressure.

Feb 4th & 5th- handy 65 minute runs once my wife got home from work, kids are finally at the age where they can be trusted not to get up to much mischief without 100% supervision!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I said it weeks ago...there's a big performance coming! Tell me about race plans...

Some savage training going on😉😁

Nothing planned yet thanks S. I just want to concentrate on getting through this base phase first and try and make inroads on where i would have been this time last year, a lot of work to be done but at least i feel like I'm starting to make tangible progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

You will get a rake of paper cuts if you keep those cards any closer to your chest 😀

Advertisement