Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Yes resurrecting Fawlty Towers is very unexpected.

Cleese must have some good ideas if he is willing to bring it back after years of saying it would never happen.

Did Netflix cut the “holocaust joke” from Jimmy Carr His Dark Material ?

I was reminded of it a few minutes ago and just curious about happened in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just as likely he's simply at an age where he got a generous offer, maybe said F It, figuring his daughter & grandkids would do well with the money. I'd be surprised if it genuinely took him this long to fashion a workable idea. Given "legacy sequels" are very in vogue ATM, he was probably tempted to jump onto that goodwill train.

I was going to post an “or else a lorry full of money” but I decided I’d try be less cynical.

It hasn’t worked ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I don't think is cynical as such. I remember when asked why he was in some frivolous kids movie in his 80s, Michael Caine remarked he wanted to work on something he could watch with his grandkids. Maybe Cleese had some half-idea knocking about his desk of drafts; the temptation of some money for his family pushing him to sand off the edges - alongside a chance to work with his daughter in a field he knew.

Heck. Maybe he just got bored being in the news for saying the wrong thing, and wanted to get back into producing some comedy & people's good graces. Either way, I think it's a bizarre bit of news, on par with Mel Brooks' own sudden decision to make a sequel to The History of the World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm tempted to say it's the money because Cleese has had notorious money problems especially with ex wives, I think he did a tour of the US just to fund a particularly bad divorce ... Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. At the same time though, you'd think someone would have tried driving a dump truck of money up to him in the past for more Fawlty Towers.

That being said, the fact he's been in the news for saying the wrong things, as PB puts it, doesn't give me much hope for this. I have fears this is going to be some "anti-woke" nonsense with Basil struggling to deal a changing world and modern terminology. Don't get be wrong, I think there is humour to be found in that, it's just a question of which of them becomes the punchline and how mean spirited it is.

I think his opinions are shítty, but then he is an 83 year-old Cambridge Footlights grad; wish he had the self-awareness to not share his opinions on a culture many times removed from his own time - but equally, shame on outlets to have chased it in the first place.

Anyway: €5 bucks says at least one set of guests will be a young millennial couple, where the "jokes" consist of those from a Bingo Card of tedious cliches (avocados! Gender non-conformity! Pussy hats! etc. etc.). I recall the return of Spitting Image indulging in similar and yikes, it was cringe-inducing.

Just to be clear I used your words because I genuinely thought they were pretty diplomatic, I wasn't having a sly dig.

I heard a clip of a recent sketch show on BBC, think it was called Safe Space and it was fúcking awful.

I suppose there has always been TV & Film where the writers get caught out, their generational distance or ignorance about some tech/cultural/societal change revealed in the most toe-curling manner. Many screenwriting establishments would be dominated by those mid 30s or older? Stands to reason they're bewildered by anything from drugs, to gender fluidity, to video games across the decades.

All things "computers" were always ripe from the 90s onwards: my favourite of these kind of "Hello, fellow kids" moments remains this moment of unintentional comedy. I doubt Fawlty Towers 2's attempts at being current will be this funny...

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Netflix removing its own content: Arrested Development to leave the service on March 14th, which will include its own 4th and 5th seasons. I presume as it was a Fox property it'll simply move to Disney = no idea if that includes those last 2 (inferior) seasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going back a ways but interesting to find by accident some good quality Steptoe and Son rehearsal footage on tiktok..

I can't seem to link it to here... boards is preventing it but...

@classicstuff8 is the tiktok user

Is there a thread in Television for general discussion or questions?

Isn't this it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Stan Lee's Lucky Man. Found it only 2 nights ago. Hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully this is it.

Noticed at the Ireland Italy rugby game the RTE pundits with Jaqui Hurley were located in Rome as opposed to back in the studio in Dublin as heretofore?

Just wondering is this going to be the new format or was it just a jolly for the panel?

If memory serves me correctly this seems to be a new departure for RTE sport?

Hmmmm…… lot of silence on this one.

I genuinely can't remember if they've been abroad for the matches before but I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

Well, we will wait for the Edi game to see if there’s a trend.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised this existed: why would you try to retroactive adapt a TV version of a blockbuster directed by and started Hollywood's biggest names?

Seems to be getting poor enough reviews, which, yeah. Of course it'll be a bit flat. Not like the concept isn't worth exploring at the altitude of TV - but the name just invites comparsion

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Came across this link on Facebook.

Marc Guggenheim (co-creator of The CW's Arrowverse) feels like it was a waste of his time (career-wise). He expected his career to take a step up after the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, but he got crickets.

James Gunn set up a writer's room for the new DC content, and Marc would have liked some acknowledgement of the work he put in (at least a meeting if nothing else).

Interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

yeah saw that over the weekend. In fairness, regardless of how bad the writing was and still is (The Flash)with half the Arrowverse shows the annual Crossover Events were great TV for comics fans especially with the limited CW budget. Obviously Disney Plus Marvel shows have much bigger budgets and future DC shows will be the same but the amount he accomplished should have at least gotten him a meeting with Gunn.

While the standard of writing could border on infantile, and the budgets non-existent, the Arrowverse worse its heart on its sleeve & unashamedly embraced the goofy, optimistic fun of its superhero stable. I'm not all that surprised the brain trust at cinematic DC might be ignoring them, given how grim and miserable the DC stable of films has been. Superheroics as some terrible burden; I see Supergirl's return to cinema will be a traumatic, serious version - as opposed to Mellisa Benoist's sunny-side up variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep!

And the top comment is that it would be six episodes over a decade, hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭jj880

Did you ever get this fixed? I got a new TV and netflix is only giving my 0.39mbs on every stream. When I go into the network settings in the native netflix app it gives me 87mbs for the netflix speed test. They are obviously throttling me for some reason. Any ideas?

Edit: got it sorted.

Got onto a PC and logged into my netflix account. On the full website they show the playback limits for each profile on a sub. I was restricted to 300mb per hour for some reason. Never saw that before and definitely did not set that myself. Changed it to 7gb and getting 4k now no problem.

Post edited by jj880 on

I had no idea that there are limits nor that we can change them.

I guess it it is sorted now thanks to yourself ;)

I had been getting by fine since just after posting that - the shifts I have been on have meant I could have streaming time when the other residents were asleep or the majority were at work.

But it occasionally drops in quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭jj880

You can go to "Get Help" on the home screen of the netflix TV app and select "Reload Netflix" or you can reboot your TV for the changes to go through. I had to reload Netflix to get the higher usage limit.

Advertisement