Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Ah Sinns are deadly, and you just need four more for the full set…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

The iwc is class but 5 times the price of a used stowa... I'm flip flopping on selling my manual wind stowa

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any chance of a lume shot dino? That's a nice watch, been wanting another Steinhart since the Mrs stole mine.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice.. it’s 40mm? It’s a bit small for my peepers. There is a bronze steinhart on Chrono24 I was eying up

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This today. Tried and failed to get the feeling of the depth of the dial printing going on. Notice how these very early and pricey at the time new fangled quartz yoke's seconds hand hit the indices on the button. Some like Omega's first inhouse quartz movement actually added a teeny index wheel and finger setup to make sure they did and avoid the backlash inherent in quartz movements. The Girard Perregaux had a very fancy and torquey stepping motor unlike any others since that avoided both issues, and meant unlike competitors they had enough grunt to drive "normal" size and weight hands and a date that flipped instantly at 12.

This watch also reminds me that while today we're surrounded by IT and "microchips", back then unless you actually worked in Motorola, NASA or similar the first quartz watches like this were also the first time The Man On The Street had a "silicon chip" in his life. Then digitals came along and those were the first time the same bloke or blokess had LED/LCD's in their direct lives too. The arms race of quartz and especially digitals involved some of the top geeks and nerds in the world and played a significant part in the IT revolution to come. The revolution that allows us to view our watches on a flat screen, on our laptop, pad or phone. The first "smart watches" really. OK hey were pretty dumb and only showed the time and date, but in a radically different way, and far more accurately and reliably and then cheaply, without sacrificing the first two.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Not had this on rubber in ages. It’s a nice chunky rubber strap and deployant! Cows not terribly appreciative of the style I wear feeding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s a bloody finicky swap over isn’t it !

Not for the faint hearted when you have no spare screw alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I think I’m imagining it. Ignore.

Post edited by Tilikum17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I posted here a while ago about not understanding the love for Vacheron .Since handling that watch ,every time you post it I’m reminded of how wrong I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is really an exquisitely well crafted watch and the dial is IMO feckin wonderful. Handling that watch was my 1st time seeing a guilloche, deeply textured dial and it has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Pigs in a blanket.

Omega (1971); IWC (unknown but 1999-2006); and Tudor (2023).

Fulladapipes, what's your opinion on the new Pelagos? That is an absolutely cracking trio too btw.

I saw the below on Reddit and now? I want a Vanta black watch 😲 Imagine what superluminova or BWG9 lumed hands would look against a Vanta black dial!

The Pelagos is really good on many levels. It is 39mm and light, really light, and the hands and pips are so defined it is incredibly legible. The bezel is also lumed. I think it almost works better on a strap (like this Erika nato) than on the bracelet. The only things I have doubts about are it's uber-functionality and the titanium bracelet and case. The titanium is great for weight reduction but I miss the shine of a stainless steel case and bracelet (like on the Speedy I sold before Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I really like that silver tudor.

Same. I am also looking to add it to the list of watches I regret buying.

AHH, when I saw the NATO I just immediately assumed it was the new version. On the old one, had one a while myself and they are a great watch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

Picked this up as a first foray into something vintage and also a birth year even if its a silly idea to want a watch for that reason. Anyway aside frm the year I wanted to suss out the size for me at 36mm.

Its an automatic Omega Geneve, basically their basic entry level line. Condition is OK with siome scratches on plexi or whatever it is. Might try and polish some of them out, you can see them in teh pics and one is casting a shadow on the dial. The dial itself looks to be in good condition. Case has a few marks also but not too bad. Overall it looks decent enough. 1012 automatic movement so nothing fancy but seems to be fairly robust and reliable. Strap isn't to my liking and it has an Omega buckle but I suspect chyynaa, no scratches and says acierinox and swiss stamped on it but seems wrong. Also too short and brown isn't for me.

I'll have a play with it, want to get it on a nice looking back strap so suggestions welcome. From there I'll wear it as a dress watch and see if vintage is for me. I'll get some high mag pics under a digital microscope for fun when I get a chance but I think it was OK for 450. When I get some high mag pics of dial and what not I'll post them.

I reckon I could get away with the 36mm but reckon its style dependent and a black strap may aligator style might give it a bit more weight?? Let me know thoughts on straps, don't want to spend a fortune but something decent.

What lug width is it? I'm looking for decent 18mm straps for my 1971 Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

18mm on the watch and 16mm on the buckle but no idea if thats relevent, suppose it only matters if I want to use the fake omega buckle

• Advertisement

Same as mine. If you find any interesting straps, you might stick up a photo.

Glasshütte seem to really be pumping their Ad volume on insta. I am constantly getting served ads for their new SeaQ diver and it does seem quite a handsome watch.

Very pricey tho and tbh? If I was going to drop 10k plus on a diver? It'd have to be a Rolex.

It’s liked by Crankytime and that’s enough. He is a man of considerable taste as you should know …

Sure isn't he a chap of impeccable sartorial standards 😉 a look on C24 shows a slew of SeaQ available in US at a price that would make even paying Irish VAT on import worthwhile 🤔 I the discovered the SeaQ panorama date and now that's slowly becoming a "want" 🤣 maybe in green...

Mrs Banie is now, 2 weeks post her last scheduled chemo cycle (5weeks after infusion). Fngers crossed it's fully done, we'll find out on Thursday. Anyway as we've been fairly locked away over the course of her chemo to avoid infection risks.

We are heading out this evening for what is our usual pre-christmas treat. Her, the boy and I shall be heading in to the Jasmine palace buffet to gorge on Chinese, and sushi. I'll be wearing my Sinn destro and the boy will be wearing the Astro, as the dinky size of 60's watch will suit his lady hand 🤣 On a serious note, he is trying to sneak that watch off me and is constantly borrowing it! Nice to see it get the wear I think it deserves tho!

The plan for tonight is? To eat, drink and be merry...

Whilst keeping a close eye on the time 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Might be different in the flesh, but that Sinn is 100 times nicer than that GO imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That Sinn Destro is bloody lovely, the left hand crown on your left arm sent my brain into confused spins 😂

Best of luck to the Mrs by the way 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

true, its a watch for left handers... looks great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I bloody love Sinn Part VIII, and that Accutron... [insert drool meme here].

Hope ye enjoyed the nosh and night out. 😀

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

.…

• Advertisement

And for the spring season collection, today I'm wearing my 74 LIP Roger Tallon. The one watch that I own that's near guaranteed to get looks and often enquiries and more usually women.

Advertisement