Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forspoken (PC/PS5)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Digital Foundry said the performance mode is poor enough and far from stable.

I'd imagine it'll be cheap enough in a few months or included with Plus so I'll give it a go at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe I'm just not noticing it. I'm not expecting AAA, I went in with low expectations and it's surprising me. Its nowhere near the quality of God of War, but I've experienced far worse. It's more than passable imo.

This will definitely be a marmite game, but it seems lots of people are just jumping on the hate train too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For €75 you 100% should be expecting a AAA experience.

I think I'd like the combat but not buying just yet given the performance and cost.

€79.99 but that's the price of new games. We're only now getting up to how much SNES games cost (factoring in for inflation) and we're getting far more value for money nowadays.

Very few games reach the levels of God of War, and I don't expect that from any other dev right now. No one else has proven they can provide that imo so my expectations are tempered. Again, I think people expect far too much from games these days. Yes, it's not the best, but it's far from the worst out there. It already has more hours than I've put into Cyberpunk.

Maybe I'm just more forgiving. Maybe its because I've witnessed every generation of console gaming and can remember what games were/looked like/played. Forspoken is visually amazing compared to other games, and not so much compared to other ones again.

I still think people are hating on this because it's the cool thing to do right now. But just like films that are bad enough to be good, this is one of those imo, but only time will tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not just performance and cost, it looks incredibly annoying from the videos I’ve seen - all the cut scenes interrupting the flow, awful dialogue between your character and that cuff thing, the excessive bad language. The combat and movement looks ok actually but not enough to warrant a purchase.

Hogwarts though looks a lot more promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Played 2 hours and enjoying so far. Combat is decent and all reviews point to that improving much more as you go on. The character isn't as bad as came across on the trailers and the cursing is far from the worst ( looking at you GTAV, that was f#cking cringy with all the curse words in comparison). The only complaint I have so far is when there are speaking narrations you're forced to stand still and listen and can't start moving towards the next area until dialogue finished. But i'm certainly feeling so far the reviews have undersold this one, no glitches or bugs and seems pretty smooth in performance mode. Looking forward to diving further in over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

Couple of hours is, it's fun enough during combat and exploration, but the beginning was a chore and frustrating with too many cutscenes and tutorials that take away control. And it has that thing, you meet optional bosses which you can't defeat yet.

Voice acting and animation are Mass Effect Andromeda quality.

Yeah, I came on to say what Jim said, the forced standing still while they talk is jarring and annoying and is my only complaint so far. It happens after every conversation or event, which is quite often and does pull you out a bit. Not sure if that can be patched. But I'm still enjoying it.

Ventured further down Praenost, ticking all the boxes on the way. I think if you turn down the chatter to the lowest, remove all map icons and play on a harder difficulty, you'd have a different experience. But I've learned i'm a box ticker, so I need to do all the things even to the detriment of my enjoyment at times. So I've turned off just the treasure chests icons, and that alone makes a fair difference. I've also turned down the chatter when they had the same 2 sentence "conversation" 3 times within 15 minutes. So I can see where people with a lot more hours are coming from with the annoying chatter. Still not as annoying as the above mentioned forced standing still.

There's a great game there, but it's far from perfect. I'm still enjoying it, and I'm nearing my second power I believe so will freshen things up again. I'd imagine it will be very busy combat once you have 4 powers. Some fights with the 1 power are already quite visual and hectic. Just unlocked the Accelerate movement skill so making traversing a small bit quicker. Gimme my damn hoverboard already, the map is big enough to need it early enough!

It doesn't have long until Hogwarts Legacy is out, so I'm hoping I'll at least finish the main story before then, because I just feel nothing else will get much of a play between Feb 10th and22nd, and then PSVR2 will take over some of that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just rolled credits on this today. Once I unlocked the last power I kind of just sped through to the end. The last few missions aren't great with a lot being going back to previous locations and walking around collecting some orbs, pure laziness on the developers part. As previous posters have said the fade to black cut scenes aren't great, same with 90% of the detours (side missions). The parkour and magic powers make up for it though

Yeah, I'm about half way through, and you'd get over the meh story because the gameplay is fun. When it works it works well and I've still lots to unlock. But the constant starting and stopping for everything, the same little cutscene for every similar interaction, there's a great game in there but it's held back by bad decisions. Serious kudos for the near instant fast travel though. Quite impressive in fairness.

• Advertisement

Loading and fast travelling are near instant so that's a big plus, direct storage works. Apart from that the technical aspect is meh, the performance doesn't justify the visuals and it can't keep a consistent 60fps even on a high end system. And it doesn't look nearly as good as other games who can.

Gameplay is fun but the mechanics are just to busy. It didn't need so many sets of attacks and spells, the grappling is probably the worst I've seen and parcour climbing is inconsistent. And I'm at that point that usually is too common these days, I'm already overpowered from doing exploration instead of story progression, what do I do now, do more exploration and get more overpowered, or chance the story and hope it does have an endgame mode?

And why did she had to be so unlikeable?

With a better direction this could have been a much better game.

There's grappling? 0.0

I'm guessing they mean the Zip spell from Tanta Sila

Ah, that. I'm finding that useful, great for not hopping off the ground from a height, although that looks like it'll be replaced by something from Tanta Prav, just have to go collect it. Got my hoverboard! But it has limits thus far. I am enjoying it, and there's as much to read as there was in the Mass Effect games. It really goes into detail for everything, and that's why I'm annoyed at the story we're given. Scope for so much more, and you can see the real effort they went to for the world building. Not sure on the ending, but I assume it would leave itself open for more.

Slightly off topic, but I can't imagine it's easy to write a new, interesting story these days. Like movies/tv shows, someone has more than likely already done "it", so must be hard to be new. Most games follow the same story beats anyway, just presented differently; love, friendship, cooperation, good wins bad loses. Few stray, and a lot who do just don't hit the mark.

There's a hoverboard? 0.0

*apart from the slide on water thing?

The story don't have to be original to be good. Neither the main character backstory. The story in this one is passable and the main character and a lot of supporting characters are unlovable obnoxious arseholes. The game is fun and I will see it to the end but 6/10 is well deserved.

Yeah, I took from my brief view of trailers there was a hoverboard, but it could have been the water slide thingy. Could have sworn she was floating through the air in it though... Bad memory!

Ok, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through, and I was thinking of powering through to the end, but I think I'm gonna wait. Hogwarts Legacy on Friday and I know I won't be able to stop myself, so gonna trade this in tomorrow towards it, but I will definitely be picking it up again down the line. Hopefully by then, there'll be some updates and improvements implemented, but either way I will come back to it and finish it. It's not as bad as people make out. It's not fantastic, it has a problem with stopping/starting and while the story/dialogue isn't the best, it's far from the worst. I hear people saying it's too cheesy, I couldn't get beyond a couple of hours in Kingdom Hearts because of the cheese, this is far better!

I'm waiting because I genuinely want to delve into the story/background/lore more. When you get to a new area, you can go straight towards the goal or go on detours, collect better gear, etc. Some of those detours are further info on the Tanta in that region, and I'm liking finding out more. As I said, there's a great world there, if not terribly new. But I'm reading everything like I did in the Mass Effect games.

But it's personal taste in the end. There is a great game under there, it's just currently hampered by bad decisions, most of which can be patched hopefully. The having to wait until Frey/Cuff finish their conversation before moving is galling, and they wouldn't have had to put so much effort into the chatter if you could move while the story dialogue kept going. There's a lot of small annoyances, which are too much too often to turn some people away, but when the game lets you off it shines. Hopefully they'll give it the extra bit of tlc it needs and not just forgotten about. I think people will play this when they get it for free and be surprised, especially if they're going in expecting to hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Gonna trade this myself too. As I said previously, not as bad as the mist scathing of reviews, and enjoyed the first half dozen or so hours. But tedium has started to grate that it would just be a slog without enjoyment to finish it. Main thing being that whenever there's been a good battle or combat scene, the game then decides to slow things right down, which just takes away all momentum. Could of been so much better, and as PM says maybe will be with some patches. Here's hoping, for when it hits Plus at year end ;-)

I don't think they are going to do anything about these, they were design decisions, and also nothing can be done now about the cringy dialogues and bad voice acting. That's it, that's the best it gets, it's a lost opportunity and just another meh game. I'll finish it though because I just can't leave a job half done :) I'm at the final chapter, overpowered AF and the map I think it's about 2/3 cleared.

I finished the main story and for the last couple of days I'm exploring. There is a lot, I mean a whole lot, of map to explore outside of the main story, there are sections that you don't even come close to in the main missions. So it's either a strange design decision to have so much space not used in the main story, or there was a lot cut from the main story.

• Advertisement

Yeah found that odd too. Sure, near the wellspring where you get the float spell there is a shop where you can spend old coins on items like a mana magnet or new clothing options. Seeing how the last few missions are just go from point A to B, I kind of think they did cut out some content

Yes I got the mana magnet but I already had about 500 mana points that I couldn't use anymore. Now I've 1000+. That shop is out of the way of the main story and by the time you get there there's nothing useful anymore.

And I appreciate the diversity of magic and melee and ranged attacks, but the selecting system is crap. Why not provide slots to equip them, like virtually any other game?

Yeah loadouts would have been cool. Also there is an option in the settings that basically every time you use a support spell, it switches to another one that's already charged automatically. The spell mastery challenges are good too even though half of them can be completed by going to one of the hordes of breakzombies

Advertisement