Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordering from UK GRO site

• 01-02-2023 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Any previous certificates I received from the UK GRO were delivered as a PDF to my email address for £7.00Stg. I've been trying to order another but can't for the life of me see where the option for PDF is. I get as far as entering the details and confirming the order but my memory fails me. Is the PDF option after the payment? Its telling me it will be posted to my address a will cost £11.00. I'm obviously missing something here. Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I just tried a random birth and was given the option to order a PDF copy for £7.

The option to select a PDF copy appeared after I clicked on a given name from the list of results.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you trying to order a marriage? They inexplicably never imaged them so it has to be a certified postal copy, which will take an eternity to come between their insistence on second class post to another country and their postal strikes. If you can, get it posted to a UK address for them to scan to you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I already had the reference so didn't get to that page. Maybe I'll try searching for it on their site. Thanks for that.

Nope, it's a birth record, and I already received a death record on PDF recently so I know I've done it right before. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Several years ago, I got an English GRO cert with the image of the marriage record of my great-great grandparents. It was in the 1850s and I don't know if that made a difference. It was a pdf emailed to me.

Finally managed to complete the order. However, the pdf option still wasn't offered to me so the transaction details which came into my email has a total of €11.00. Oh well. 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the PDF option is only available for orders that specify a GRO Index Reference Number, i.e. you can't get one if you enter the name, date, place of birth etc. and let them do the search, and also the dates have to be within certain limits where they have digitized records available.

Is it in the mid-20th century gap (1937-1984 from memory)? They've no scans for those births.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just searched for Smith 1927 and all I'm getting is the £11 option.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

from www.gro.gov.uk/gro

'PDFs for historical digitised civil registration records held by GRO (birth entries from 1837 to 1922 and death entries from 1837 to 1957).'

• Advertisement

Yes, birth entry = birth record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah yes, thanks, I misread that line! Apologies.

Advertisement