Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The amount of people I've seen say they don't share their password but don't log into Netflix once a month either is amazing. A lot of them seen to only be realising this now and questioning why they're still paying for it. Maybe they'll be losing more than just the password sharers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just started season 2 of Fauda and whilst still enjoying it, I feel like it's the same themes/story lines just repackaged.

Which isn't surprising giving the naturally restrictive real life context. But surprised that season 4 is so well received. Will have to stick with it givin the high praise 4 is getting.

Id agree with others, it's 100% pro Israel. Its not touched (so far) on any of the subtext for Palestinian "terrorism". Israeli expansionism or general treatment of Palestinians by Israeli forces.

It's a sanitised action packed view from the Israeli forces pov. Who are all badass and willing to die for israel where as the Palestinians are painted as infighting and easily turned from their own cause.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fauda 2 ....the Palestinian viewpoint... Make it Netflix !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Fauda was made in Israel and stars mostly Israeli actors so is bound to be one sided in the debate i.e Palestinians are terrorists and need to be taken out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm not good at film reviews. But I thought this was a very decent production.

Visually superb, haunting and effective film score by Volker Bertelmann.

As is usual for me, I find it hard to emotionally relate to characters in war films, but the acting seemed to stand up. Perhaps the impact might be more powerful on the big screen. A very good recounting of the previous version that I have seen from 1979, with a few changes to the narrative (I have not read the book).

Overall, I recommend it, and the 2.5 hours didn't seem overly long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭archfi

Just started Killer Ratings, Brazilian documentary about a crime tv show host accused of ordering murders to boost his shows ratings and that he was actually a gangster getting rid of his rivals at the same time! (he was also a politician)

Nuts!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

does Fauda pick up after the first season? I think I only got through about 3 eps before packing it in - thought it was pretty poor to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’m 9 episodes away in on Fauda season 2 and it’s very good. It’s a great cat and mouse hunt on both sides Israeli special forces and Hamas terrorists both chasing each other. I had forgotten most about season 1 as I watched it when it first came out. Season 2 does show a bit of the human side of the Palastine side with the stories of Shirin, the younger brother of Nidal and the many hectic everyday life scenes around Nablus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Bad Day For The Cut was a bit of an unpolished gem, little rough around the edges but some great acting and humour throughout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cancellation here too, I've only kept it because my parents use it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Iirc, that's about as far as I got, a few years back. It came across as formulaic, trying to emulate American-style action series, and seemed artificial in that sense. Maybe if season 1 was powered through it would pay dividends in the apparently superior subsequent series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

MAKE MY DAY season 1 (2023) (Japanese) On an isolated icy planet promising a bright future, prisoners are forced to excavate a rare energy source that leads to a deadly, unwelcome discovery.

Freeridge season 1 (2023) Four teen friends work to reverse a curse after a peculiar old box seems to bring misfortune -- and more -- into their lives..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Finished Fauda season 2, it was excellent. I might go straight into 3. If season 4 is as good as everyone saying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Come Play (2020) – Horror starring Gillian Jacobs about a monster who manifests through smartphones and mobile devices.

I stuck this on tonight as the central premise seemed like it could be good, and I'm a big fan of films that get the job done in around 90 minutes. Sadly, this one's a bit of a stinker - it clearly wants to be in the same league as The Babadook, but between some smell-the-fart acting, primary-school-age kids speaking dialogue that makes them sound about 35, writing that I will lazily summarise as "boomer-tastic" (the main child character is not so much a child on the autism spectrum, as a series of tropes associated with autism and given a name; on top of that there's a scene in which we're told that screentime is the root of all evil, effectively), and disregard for any kind of internal consistency in its own rules, by the time the entirely predictable conclusion (and saccharine "reassuring" coda, because of course) rolls around, you'll have long since stopped caring.

It's a shame too, because the basic premise of a monster that can only be seen through a phone camera or AR filter has a lot of potential, but it's absolutely squandered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Women at war. French drama series was really enjoyable

Bank of Dave easy to watch feel good movie

Glitch Aussie drama. 3 seasons i watched all and i am still not sure why. Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Great little Irish film. No idea what the title means, but even though it's a simple film - it's type told before- it's realism is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I'd be fairly sure the title is referring to bad weather when cutting silage/hay which reduces the value and quality of the crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭jj880

Always thought it was a farmers saying. Edit: yeah what previous post says 😃. Great movie. Low budget is no problem with quality acting/script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is the sequel going to be called Grand Stretch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Stromboli (2022) Haunted by memories of her broken marriage and a fight with her daughter, a woman joins an intense self-help retreat when her vacation goes awry..

Infiesto (2023) (Spanish) As the coronavirus upends their lives, two detectives doggedly pursue those responsible for an abduction they realize is part of a sinister pattern..

True Spirit (2023) A tenacious Australian teen chases her dreams -- and faces her fears -- as she sets out to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world..

Viking Wolf (2022) (Norwegian) After witnessing a grotesque murder at a party in her new town, a teenager starts having strange visions and bizarre desires

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Glitch has an interesting first season. pretty sure I seen the second season as well. i would watch the third season but it has been so long since the first two i would have to watch the first two again first and i dont think i'm that bothered to find out cause of the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

"You People" gets some laughs but ultimately it's wearisome, with everyone walking on eggshells over racial tensions in LA. (Has everyone forgotten how important the Jewish community was to Civil Rights and MLK?)

I much preferred "The Price of Family", an Italian comedy about a couple whose adult children are ghosting them. Good fun with inter-generational issues and snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I watched the Pamela Anderson documentary and I think she came across very well in it. Her sons seem like upstanding human beings. I don’t know what impression I had of her prior to this documentary but she came across very well.

"That '90s Show" Renewed for Second Season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched You People the other night, it's good. Julia Luis Dreyfus and Eddie Murphy are great but for a rocom there's far much focus on the in-laws. The movie rushes through the actual relationship in a montage to get to the meet the parents stage and I never really bought into it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Came across a little known (2 me anyway) Scottish comedy over the Xmas,Still game from 04/05, pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Jealous. Started watching last year and watched them all in about 6 months. Such a good show. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Don't know if it's on Netflix but Still Game is a spin off from a sketch show called Chewin' The Fat.

Advertisement