Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part time after maternity leave

Options
  • 30-01-2023 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have read that after the 26 weeks of maternity leave, you're entitled to a unpaid leave that could be done as part-time. Has anybody tried this?

I am not in any rush to come to work after having the baby but creche will only takes 1 years old and I do not have much family around that I could depend on to take care of my baby, the leave does not sum up to the year so I am starting to think on different approaches. Work does not offer any extra paid time but I do not know how likely I am to be granted coming back to work part time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It is definitely an issue with crèches not starting till 1 and paid leave only lasting the 6 months. But you can get to the full year using just the statutory leaves though some of that time will be unpaid.

26 weeks paid leave, plus 16 unpaid, plus 7 weeks parent’s leave (usually paid at €260 or so from the state but not topped up), plus 2 weeks for your days in lieu of public holidays, plus 4 weeks annual leave (should build up during all that other leave!) = 55 weeks leave! If you take 2 weeks before baby’s born, you can just about get to the 12 months!

ETA, I’ve never heard of using the unpaid maternity leave part time but you can use parental leave, which is also unpaid, to go part time if your employer agrees. I would save the parental leave myself because you can use it until the child is 12.

Advertisement