Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cable Size between CU & Inverter

• 02-02-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,

The folks are looking at solar (6kw inverter) and have a 6mm2 cable running between the shed and house.

What would be the max distance between the CU & Inverter before it becomes unsafe?

They will be getting a sparky out to provide guidance etc but they are like hens teeth at the moment.

Obviously they would like to avoid digging the garden up but while they wait for the sparky, they are happy to craic on with ground works if they are way outside the max distance on a 6mm2.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭johndoe11

I had a 40m run to the shed that was 6mm2 cable. The installer wouldn't commission without it being a 16mm2. I have a 6kw hybrid inverter. A messy and costly job, but it's done now forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

Thank you @slave1 that's certainly good info.

@JohnDoe that is precisely why they would like to avoid the work. I have 10mm2 myself over a similar run with no issues

Looking at some online calculators they seem to suggest that a 6mm2 is suitable based on 30amps over 40m with 10%voltage drop....

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭johndoe11

Yeah I think 10mm2 would have been fine, but they said if going to that effort just put 16mm2 in. The said if it was a 6mm2 just dedicated to solar it might be ok, but I'm no expert on that. I just left the old 6mm2 in and ran the new cable to a new board beside the old one. Not much change from 1k when it's all done.

Advertisement