Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

Does this chain line look right? Is the derailleur bent? How do I fix it if it is offline?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is something happening when you pedal (e.g. chain slipping)? It does look like the lower jockey wheel is not aligned but which front ring is the chain on?

Thanks Seth. The chain is on. The way the photo is taken You can’t see the upper chain line as the lower chain line is covering it.

It’s a long cage derailleur. There is a fair amount of play/ wobble on the jockey wheels also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given that you seem to be roughly square on to the smaller sprockets on the cassette, in terms of the angle the shot is taken from, that seems to be quite a deviation in the line between the guide wheel and tension wheel on your RD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No way to know for certain from this photo, you either need multiple photos in various gears or a video rolling through them. Are there issues such as chain drop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first thing i'd be checking, would be to shift up to the lowest gear (i.e. largest sprocket) on the rear, to confirm the RD is not in danger of fouling in the spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Question for Tacx Flux users:

My belt is done for and I want to replace it, I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced there and if they know the dimensions (eg. 4PK820) assuming tacx didn't commission their own piece and use an off the shelf car auxiliary belt?

I see "premium" replacements online which are 3x the price of a Gates/Continental belt and probably no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

So as a Christmas present I got a nice set of carbon aero handlebars. Today was the day I decided to fit them. I encountered a problem when I realised I would need to cut the olive off as the bolt to secure the brake hose would not fit through the bars. I do not have the requisite tools to attach a new olive etc.

So I brought the bike down to the local shop to see if they could cut the lines and attach some new olives for me. Now he has quoted me €10 for the olives which is fine. But he is saying I will need 2 brake bleeds and that is €60. Now that seems pretty steep to me? Am I wrong? I also said I have a bleed kit at home and can look after that part myself but he went on to say that without bleeding they couldn't check if there was a leak etc after fitting the olives. Am I being taken for a ride here?

And does anybody in South Dublin / North Wicklow have the tools/parts to cut a hose and secure a new olive and insert I could borrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

In the current climate, 60 quid doesn't seem excessive when you take into account labour, materials etc Does that include the olives or on top of it?

(as a side, I now know what an olive is which was something I'd never heard of before!)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Installation of olives was another €10 so €70 in total. I had actually made the decision to call back down and take the bike home as I didn’t want to pay for the bleed. But I was too late as they’d already done the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

60 quid is excessive IMO. With a workstand and a large syringe, I have it done much faster than I'd adjust V-brakes of old, probably 15 minutes max. Yes those tools and workshop cost money, but that's doctor rates for a basic job.

Now maybe if they took out the pads, checked the piston seals for leaks cleaned off any excess oils, and cleaned and trued the discs, I'd be more forgiving but that's a big maybe in my experience.

€10 for olives is pushing it too. I get they need to make a markup, but the parts (if Shimano) were €2.40.

€50 all in would have been about right in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Wondering if anyone recognises these bike symptoms before I go straight to the mechanic..out for a quick spin this morning and noticed a slight clicking/knocking sound after a few km but couldn't figure out its origin, sounded like a pebbled lodged somewhere but got off and spun both wheels and pedals and nothing came loose nor could I see anything. The noise persisted whether pedalling or freewheeling and didnt stop til I got home. Ball bearings need replacing somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Did the clicking increase and decrease in frequency in line with your increase and decrease in speed? If so, I'd imagine you're looking at the wheels to begin with

Not that I can remember but yeah seems a rear wheel issue, just went out to shed and got it pedalling and can hear the clicking, at least I've narrowed it down, cheers.

Check is a wire from the rear derailleur touching the spokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Most recent for me was wheel skewer too tight.

No, definitely sound coming from inside rear wheel hub, no loose spokes or anything.... sounds like a small stone popping around. I'll remove the skewer later and clean it up, I guess I'll have to remove the cassette to inspect the ball bearings? I don't see anything to unscrew on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement

As a first step just untighten the skewer and then retighten lightly. Check if sound is gone.

Seems to have worked, thanks! Although only tested it out by cycling a half mile, will see later on a full ride if issue persists, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Would a 2x10 speed front derailleur be OK to pair with an 11speed shimano105 set up?

Or would anyone know of a cheapo derailleur either braze on or with a 34.9mm clamp?

Cheers.

Skewer needs to be only tight enough that the wheel doesn’t slip when you stand on the pedals to put the power down.

Too tight and you end up with too much side load on the bearings which can grind.

So would be a good idea to check your wheel doesn’t slip too. Hopefully you can find a balance point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donymuc

Have some clunking occuring on my single speed. Thought it might be hub and have those replaced as they were old. It's still there when I stand up and out pressure on pedals, mostly from non drive side on downward stroke. BB has no play at all, the cranks are about a year old. I took the cranks off today and on the non drive side there is rust/markings on the spindle and on the inside of the crank hole. Pics below. I've out some grease on spindle and on crank bolt and refitted. Clunking is not as bad but still there for sure. Would anyone have anything jump out of them that this might most likely be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it just a sound, or can you feel it?

Sometimes bearings need to be loaded to feel wear, so just spinning the bb under no load might not show anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donymuc

There is definitely a feel to it, a little step or clunk vibration, mostly when I'm off the saddle and giving it some sideways action. Or when I'm just start off so putting a good bit of torque. I'll probly order a bb and give that a go. Shame cause with the new hubs it's delightfully smooth other then this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

I did a big and long overdue service on the Croix de Fer over the weekend, but ran into issues with sizing the chain.

I fitted a new 11-36 cassette, the old one having been 11-32, as I want to make the bike a bit more amenable to going uphill, trails etc. (ultimate plan is to downsize the chainring, but that doesn't need replaced yet so one step at a time). The RD is a Shimano RD R350 10 speed (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/RD-R350-10-SS.html) - a non-series Tiagra level part which has a listed max of 34t, but I'm relying on Shimano's reputation for being conservative. The chainrings are 48/34.

I couldn't use the old chain to size it since the the cassette was different, so I used the big-big method of wrapping the new chain around the big ring and big sprocket then adding 2 links. This however has ended up way too short. Here's the chain on the big ring and the 28t. It won't shift onto the 32t - which it obviously did before - never mind the 36t:

For the sake of comparison, here's small-small:

I'm assuming the issue is I fecked up sizing the chain (it was at the end of a long day and I was knackered - never a good state for something going right!), so is there a better chain sizing method I can use? Also question from the cheapskate in me, can I just splice a bit into the chain using a couple of quick links, or would that be inviting disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Anyone any experience of working with aluminium mudguards? I've used steel or plastic in the past.

Just wondering can I bend them in spots with a pliers or could they shatter / crack? In which case I could carefully saw bits instead i suppose...

Thanks. They are kenisis fend off, if of any relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RD looks to be done with as there is too much play even with all usual bolts tightened.

Ive watched a video or two and it looks okay to try at home replacing it so fingers crossed on Monday.

I just need to get 4 hours from it tomorrow 🤞.

Advertisement