Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with headphones for hearing aid wearer

Options
  • 28-01-2023 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

My mother has two HSE aids, she is very deaf even with them. Her eyes are going and I want to get her listening to audio books.

Is it better to get headphones that go over existing hearing aids or in ear headphones to use with the hearing aids taken out.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I use 'overhead' headphones over my hearing aids and get on fine with them. It isn't I good idea to be messing taking out hearing aids, they can get lost (especially if her sight isn't good) and you have to put them back in if someone speaks to you.

I don't have any problems with feedback noise, though when I wear noise cancelling earmuffs (using noisy machinery) I often get a certain amount of feedback.

Finding comfortable headphones is another matter, my old ones are lovely, fit fine, I got some newer ones and somehow they do not sit comfortably on my head, but the mic is dodgy on the old ones so for skype calls I have to wear the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would say over-the-ear headphones too. Getting a pair that work well is not easy. Don't go for very small, skinny units, as they will keep slipping off position, at least that is my main problem with headphones. If her hearing is very poor no amount of volume with those in the ear types will work. patience is the key to meeting things right.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Great, I will try and get suitable over ear type so. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

I have a pair of these which really do help, and lets you keep aware of other sounds around you.

Do the hearing aids have Bluetooth? that could be a option for you without any cost at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Thanks for the link, will investigate them, never saw that type before. In the meantime I have ordered a regular pair over over the ear headphones with a big enough cup to cover the hearing aids.

Her hearing aids are not Bluetooth unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh. I have just been given a new set of headphones for Christmas. Razer Kraken. They are comfortable and don't make my aids whistle. But...I am listening to music on my laptop and I am astonished. I evidently have not been hearing music properly before, either ambiant or through headphones. Never been much into music but I am just getting a glimpse of what people are talking about and, well, its a revelation.

Advertisement