Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I saw that too and I really hope not. SNW I thought was great, as is LD, and I don't mind Prodigy that much (grand to stick on for 20 minutes). Picard should end after season 3, no more. I'm dreading season 3, because I doubt that Stewart is the only one hell bent on making sh*te of his character. And whenever they decide that Discovery needs to be taken out the back and put out of its misery the better. We're then left with three reasonably solid Trek shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't you worry if Discovery is ever taken out back that will give Kurtzmann and yer one loads more time on their hands to ruin the shows you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yea, but don’t they do this every now and again? «Conversations» with Space Hitler and it being «In Development» sounds like code for them having done sweet f*ck all with the idea in all of these years.

In comparison, since Season 2 of Discovery we went from Pike being a liked guest-captain to the series, to the idea of an Enterprise-centered spin off, to the first Season of said spin off delivered to us all. Section 31 has be brewing about as long, and still nothing more than «Conversations». My gut tells me they can’t even afford Yeoh anymore, so centering the project around her is ensuring that it never happens.

Post edited by Rawr on

I’m still pretty certain that they’ll try to bring Discovery up to 7 Seasons and then close it. With Season 5 probably done, they just need to push out 2 more before claiming that they reached the traditional 7 season threshold of the TNG shows. It will be (sorta) interesting to see what they’ll attempt to push out as a plot for the final 2. Season 4 appeared to be a generic “Save the Galaxy” quest (didn’t watch, mostly an impression). Season 5 appears to be some kind of generic Fetch Quest. Not sure what else they can lean on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Presumably, and they probably don't want to end both Picard and Discovery too close to each other without some new show lined up for Paramount +. Had a look there and the only thing I could find that would tempt me to sign up (aside from Trek) is Yellowjackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I can't believe I'm saying this but I don't think I am going to watch season 3.

Like Phantom Menace, I really wanted this show to be good and was almost in denial for a while about how truly bad it is.

And how much of a disservice they have done to the characters and the Next-Gen Universe in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was always where pop-culture was headed in hindsight: we're living in this Post Nostalgic period where if it's a popular IP, it's going to be dragged out of its crypt, labelled a "legacy sequel" while the greying leads come out of semi-retirement, and the bare minimum of effort put into a script. Into the "content" pipeline it goes on whatever Streaming Service it belongs. Safer than actually writing some risky, new material when you can just get those endorphins going with easy nostalgic kicks from those looking for nothing but reminders they were once young.

That's basically how Disney+ is operating ATM with its "original programming": discounting the FX/Starz material, everything from them are these tedious sequels to nostalgic properties. And that's what Star Trek: Picard always was. Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise in retrospect when the show was placed in context of the times it was produced in; Season 2 was the laziest, most hackneyed piece of rubbish to come from a supposed professional studio in years.

Wow, I sound angry lol. But I'm just so sick of this cultural nostalgic masturbation; time was all the 80s throwbacks was cute, fun even. Stranger Things Season 1 I will still go to bat for because it was the right mix of indulgent nostalgia and trope subversion. But it has just got out of control now.

Of course, the irony in all this is that Trek's best show right now is ... a Captain Pike Prequel. But I"d stop short at calling it indulgent but rather, a show that knows it's a prequel and tries to do some mild subversion or twists on tropes we're familiar with. Literally in the case of Pike himself, in that he knows he's living in someone else's prologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In depth show on Section 31 would be like in depth on the Borg, or indepth on how sausages are made.

It would ruin the whole thing.

I cant help but imagine watching Borg or Section 31 members going about their day, like yer man Emmet from the Lego movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

The problem with a Section 31 series is the current crop of writers made them moustache twirling comically evil ruining any possible chance of a Star Trek: Jack Ryan type series.

I'm going to watch Picard season three for the same reason people slow down at car accidents, I want to see something mangled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

LOl. That's 55mins long wow. Glad I did try to watch it all lol. That would 1 hour of my life I would not get back. Done it in 2mins lol.

I dunno I think a Borg show woukd be better than a section 31 show but I suppose that is like saying having type 2 diabetes is better than type 1 diabetes. The point I am getting at is that neither is good but they are manageable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah after her Globe win, Michelle Yeoh will be in even more demand and she's been a busy woman lately as it is.

So unless they had her signed to some sort of contract or agreement, it'll likely not happen, or they go a different direction and do it without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For those of us old enough to remember this is almost on point

Ms

Jeez. I am so glad they did not choose that intro for TNG lol or it certainly would have been a big flop.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Season 3 is what killed what little hope I had left for the show improving. I haven't watched Season 4 because of it, and Season 5 will likely also go unwatched by me.

If you do venture into Season 3, there is one brief moment near the beginning where we get a somewhat alright Trek episode for a while. Discovery crew, newly arrived in the future, need to work together to get their ship back into space. Micheal is missing for almost all of it, and although not the best episodes of Trek...it still felt somewhat Trek. It felt like what the show might have managed if it hadn't a massive wooden mill-stone around its neck.

Speaking of the mill-stone, she re-appears at the end of the episode to negate all of the hard work the crew had done up to this point to use future tech to save them. Effectivly ruins the whole episode, and sets the tone for Season 3. Thereafter it becomes a sort of a mini-Voyager series where they try to find the New Federation. That was almost intesting too, until the writers lost patience and cheat-coded right up the Starfleet Command mid-season.

One tip for Season 3 is that you can probably skip over conversion scenes involving Adria. They built the character on an interesting premise and then pissed it away. No plot-critical elements are covered in these scenes. I hadn't the patience for them and skipped them automatically.

All of that said, I think the only advantage to seeing Season 3 is getting a feel for their take on the future Federation / Starfleet. It's not appealing at all and also part of why I don't watch more.

Ms

So I just bought seasons 1 and 2 of Lower Decks on Blu-Ray from Zavvi. Would have used Golden Discs but unfortunately season 2 is sold out at Golden Discs online and not availible in there brick and motor shops unfortunately :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I could JUST ABOUT take a DS9 version of Section 31. Sure, it was a bit campy and OTT but you could dial that back (Would take much) and you could have an interesting morally ambiguous take on the Federation (And that universe in general). I LOVED Jason Isaacs' captain at the start of Discovery. Thought he was GREAT and would watch THAT show all day. But we know what happened there. As soon as the mirror universe was mentioned I lost ALL interest in his character as he dialed it from 7 all the way up to 11.

But a Disco version of S31? Pass. It would be camper than a Gay Pride Eurovision Music Festival. EVERYONE, regardless of gender, race, species, age, would have a moustache to twirl. As much as I love Michelle Yeoh, I do NOT want to see this. (Maybe her well-earned recent success will put a nail in this coffin)

I'll watch this, simply to complete (In the same way I'll watch Disco. To complete - Hopefully soon). As we know, Paramount are masters of putting out very good trailers. Each season you look at the trailers and think "Hmm, OK, maybe they have shaken it up a bit. That looks fun". Then you realise that all the best bits in the trailer were taken from the first wham-bam-wallop episode of the season and then it's back to usual. I'm thinking of the last season of Disco in particular I think (I don't care enough to check). Saw the trailer: "Hey, Burnham is smiling and joking. And there is no pained monologue about hole and Family. (When are they gonna do a crossover with The Fast and The Furious?)". Then you realise. Nope. First episode. All shots within about 2 mins when she is drugged! Back to positions, folks.

The trailer for the latest season didn't even do THAT!

So, I'll watch Picard. I know I shouldn't. I know it will be poor. Frakes looks like he's having fun (Even more so in LD) but the rest will be... Look, it's hopefully the end. I'll let you know if it's worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Annie Wersching, the Borg Queen from Picard has sadly passed away after a two year battle with cancer, aged 45.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Also, her first acting role was in Star Trek Enterprise.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I seen that alright and was wondering who she was. Awe that's sad. Only 45.

May she

Rest In Peace

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I see there was a novel written about what happened to the USS Hera the ship Geordies Mother was a Captain of that went missing. Did anyone read it? Was it any good?

A good episode that one Season7 Episode 3 "Interface"

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭corkie

Haven't read it, but is that the novel your referring to?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Ms

Yes I think that is it. It was released in 2011 I think. Must look out for it in Chapters next time I am up there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I had wondered if USS Hera was another example of a starship mysteriously disappearing due to the Borg. A book about the Hera sounds interesting, should seek it out.

Ms

I don't think it's all about the Hera but it does feature in it a bit as far as I know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this.

https://www.kotobukiya-collection.com/figures/11684/

Not you don’t….but you can buy one for me if you like….would be awesome of you :P

Ms

Who is that and what is she in? Never heard of her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Am I missing something? The figure is in silhouette?

Always had a weird, hyper specific tolerance for Japanese aesthetic, be it anime, manga or whatnot. Love some Ghibli, but those ... I dunno cutsey-hot kinda manga types are like 🤷

Advertisement