Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The reason I mentioned Ryan in the first place is he very obviously has an on-field leadership role. If you watch during the 6N Sexton will very often consult him if they are deciding on whether to go at goal or kick to the corner. He seems to be the pack leader at the moment so he would definitely be in the frame. Anyway as I said above I don't really think it's a big deal, we're not going to win or lose a game depending on whether POM or Ryan is the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A come off the stage. Wales are pants.

We have only lost to them once in the last 6 meetings of the teams and that was a game where we went down to 14 men after 13 minutes, had to bring on billy burns at 12 for a while, lost sexton to injury and they still only won by 5 points.

The aggregate score in those 6 games is 140-78.

Wales are in dire trouble, they have terrible underage teams and nobody coming through pushing out elderly players in key positions like Ken owens, AWJ, north, tupiric, faletau.

Their record in the autumn was a hiding by NZ, a loss to a decimated Australia side, a loss to a Georgian side and a solitary unconvincing win against Argentina.

In last years 6 nations they only beat Scotland which was by a late drop goal after Scotland went down to 14 men.

Sure maybe gatland can turn it around, he is an excellent coach and they have home advantage for the Irish game but its a big old leaky and creaky ship that was pointed in the wrong direction for a long time.

I would expect them to put up a battle based on the performances of their players in the league and europe recently but over 80 minutes they wont keep up with the pace and intensity Ireland bring. It will take something like a red card or YC, a major miracle and some serious home town reffing for them to win this game

A lot of what you are saying applied in 2019. They were in terrible form coming into the tournament and won the slam.

I think we'll win in Cardiff - I'm just not as confident as I was when Pivac was still in charge. Gatland is probably not even as technically proficient a coach as Pivac - but he's a better man manager and Wales for whatever their flaws are as a group, will put in a massive shift to try and turn us over. As has been said it's the perfect match at the perfect time for them, I expect what goes on on the pitch to be utterly brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I totally agree Ryan isn't the go-to for leinster, Ringrose is.

The media stuff isn't trivial either. If a bloke is more introverted, the media stuff would be a big, stressful distracion from the actual job of training, playing well and thinking strategically on the pitch.

They talk about leadership groups and Ryan would probably be great in that role. Doing the research on opposition and thinking through the set pieces and so on. But i just don't see him as an obvious captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Not to drag up moment from last years 6 nations that has been done to death again. But ultimately it comes down to the captains decision on if ireland go to the corner v France last year when carberry kicks the penalty on about 70 minutes to put 3 between the teams.

You could argue that's the winning or losing of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not to labour the point here RE: Kleyn (he says, as he sets about labouring the point) but some might find the following stats interesting.

Carries, Metres, Passes and Tackle stats, normalised per 80 mins for all the players that were referenced in the discussion, for their Provinces this season (it'd be interesting to get the Ireland stats in there too).

I don't think Kleyn's passing, carrying and metres stats pale significantly to the others:

The 2 outliers are Beirne's passing and McCarthy's metres. McCarthy's stats coloured by 54m from 3 carries against that shadow Gloucester team, but to be fair, I don't see any of the others except maybe Beirne capable of doing that anyways.

What's apparent from that is that Ryan, Henderson and Kleyn fulfil a pretty similar role for their clubs. Beirne very much the 5.5 of the bunch.

The sample size on McCarthy makes a comparison pointless, albeit I would say that his ability to get beyond the first tackler and his fairly explosive pace have as much to do with those meters run as the nature of the opposition do.

I must get around to doing same for Baird, as he's closer to the half-lock mould too so would be another interesting comparison. (Albeit, has played majority of his minutes at 6)

Edit: Just put it together quickly; his stats look really favourable, particularly his metres and carrying.

There's a more even distribution too, so there isn't a significant outlier impacting the stats (in the way there is for McCarthy). He's had games where's he's had 6.5, 6.4 and 5.2 metres per carry.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Based on those stats, whatever about McCarthy. He should be ahead of Henderson.

• Advertisement

Yeah, tbf what is lost in those stats, and what is a weakness of Baird's (as a lock) and a strength of guys like Jenkins and Kleyn is the disruptive part of the lock role: scrummaging, maul (offensive and defensive) and ruck impacts. I would rate Joe McCarthy pretty highly on all of those three, but not so much Baird.

Leinster have gotten it right by shifting Baird to 6, it suits his skillset best and he has a much higher ceiling there.

Ya, agree tbh; there are plenty examples now of games where the calibre of munster's maul is directly related to whether Kleyn is on the pitch or not. Stats on metres lost in the maul would be interesting. As would latches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

There are valid arguments for Kleyn to be selected over McCarthy, who is there based on his potential. But equally, the same arguments could have been (and were) made when Casey was getting selected over McGrath, or when Crowley was selected over Ross Byrne.

For years we've complained about Ireland taking too long to pick young players compared to other countries. But now that we're doing that under Farrell, the young player is too raw/not the finished article and we want the steady old pro in instead. That's the thing about young players, 9 times out of 10 they are raw. Particularly in the TH lock role that McCarthy plays, where players often don't hit their peak until their late 20s (sometimes early 30s).

I'll be the first to admit that McCarthy's discipline isn't good enough. But even against Racing at the weekend, which wasn't his best game, his impact in the carry and in defense was clear to see. Also, look at his work in the lineout maul in the 28th minute that wins Leinster a turnover. He's also excellent at reading attacks and nailing opposition out halves. He did it to Carbery down in Thomond and he did it to Russell at the weekend.

Kleyn is 29 years old. Realistically, is he going to improve enough between now and the world cup to displace Ryan, Henderson or Beirne? IMO, probably not. But if O'Connell and Easterby can iron out some of the immaturities in McCarthy's game over the next couple of months, I think he can make an impact for Ireland in the medium term. I get why that might frustrate Munster fans. But Leinster fans said the same things when Casey was being invested in over McGrath. Luke may have been playing better, but Casey was always the higher potential player and we're seeing that now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Russell just spun out of that tackle. The timing was good but he'd have been better off taking the legs and driving him back.

But now that we're doing that under Farrell, the young player is too raw/not the finished article and we want the steady old pro in instead.

Fwiw, at no point have I said Kleyn should have been selected over McCarthy.

When it comes to picking 3rd/4th choice players in a particular positon, I absolutely understand the logic in going for the young, high-potential option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, kleyn is natural replacement for Ryan if he was injured. Minus the lineout. You lose that with Kleyn.

Baird has elite potential at 6. He is a guy id like to see get alot of time in the 6 nations.

I have question marks around Baird's decision making and situational awareness. There's no doubting his athleticism and work rate, he could do with a bit more aggression in his game but he's having his best season since moving to the backrow. As someone already alluded too - his ceiling at 6 is higher, but I'm not sure he quite has the guile for blindside just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think people are really underselling McCarthy's ability right now. There's simply no way they're picking anyone now, in a world cup year, for what they might be in a couple of years.

Fairly fluffy content but the team selection at the end is interesting in it's uniformity. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/the-six-nations-jury-can-ireland-win-a-grand-slam-our-experts-give-their-verdict-42316539.html

Really only the 12 jersey is where there are differing opinions and the bench to a degree but the various 23s are suggestive of a fairly settled team.

Interestingly everyone went for Sheehan at 2. I think that's fair given that he's been the healthier of the two and has delivered with the game time he's been given. But I'm not sure I'd have gone the same way. I think Kelleher might be the slightly better scrummager, and when Sheehan came on against Racing at the weekend he was an absolute wrecking ball, made a huge impact off the bench in a way that I don't think we'd get with Kelleher.

The team predominantly picks itself bar injuries. 12 and the backrow bench options are the only real questions bar injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think at this stage sheehans darts are better than kellehers, and that will be a big deciding point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Shehal

I think one of the winger positions is also up for grabs if Lowe isn't considered ready to play. Mack Hansen starts and then the other wing comes down to who's considered best to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If Lowe is out, I could see Osbourne getting the nod for his boot

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jimmy o Brien would go in first, into the wing. Big left foot option at well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Shehal

I would actually like Osborne to get a go at 12, he's the most Henshaw like player we have for the 12 position and with Sexton & Ringrose either side of him I would feel confident in him stepping up.

I think Sheehan has taken his game to another level this year. I still rate Kelleher as an elite international hooker, and he looks the better scrummager, but Sheehan is close to the best hooker in the world over the past 6 months in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

Surely one of the backrow should be up for debate. POM was incredible in NZ but hasn't been as good since. Coombes, Conan and Baird are in better form this season. There's also the option of Henderson coming in and shifting Beirne to 6. The backrow definitely shouldn't be set in stone. Even though the world Cup is this year, we should still be open to changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Every single position is up for grabs, if someone can stake a claim.

Farrell has proved that over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tommysocks11

O mahony should not be an automatic starter, too lightweight for a 6 and goes missing in games too often, he is very good though when on his game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d like to see Beirne at 6, or Coombes or Baird.

POM is great in the lineout though and also is pretty vicious cleaning out out wide.

Advertisement