Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Fantastic news! Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

I am more excited about this than I was about the discovery of Endurance, Erebus or Terror. Congratulations to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Great news.

Congratulations to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

This story needs to be a book.... or a movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 luna11

There is a nice hole in it Fergal, when are ya planning on lifting her and how do ya plan on doing it? I wouldn't mind been there to see it. The life jackets are still in under the steering wheel is that where they were stored? It was great to be involved. It's a pity you won't be scanning wrecks anymore though 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Delighted for you, Fergal. Well done on your perseverance in not giving up. Fair play to @luna11 and all who’ve dived to check out the wrecks.

If anybody can restore ‘old cool’ to it’s former glory, it’s you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

Fantastic result! A lot of patience and highs and lows over the years but what a result!

cant wait to see her back on the surface and then back in the water.

will you be starting a new tread? If so can you post a link so I can continue to follow?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It looks like what I thought , that is the motor stringer and I believe when I hit the wave the stringer went through the hull, the life jackets were in the bow and along the side. I was thinking of fitting two jeep winches to the back of my boat or between two boats that way I can flip it as I lift "lots of thinking to do" I will now start scanning the rest of the lake that stretch gets a bit boring after 7 years 😁Thanks for all your help.

If anyone wants to donate a bit of fuel to these great guys and all the great work the do especially in Carrick on shannon in the past few weeks please do so here. https://www.athlonesubaqua.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭josip

I never thought we'd see this day. Close boards. This thread should be turned into a screenplay or a movie. Well done Fergal, seriously impresive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Brilliant news! Looking forward to the recovery and rebuild!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Brilliant News. Absolutely Brilliant.

So she’s finally been found.

^~^~^~^~^~^ Chapter 4 ^~^~^~^~^~^

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

Classic wooden speedboat build, sink, search, recovery and restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 luna11

There was a good team from athlone sub aqua with a wealth of experience that made the wreck easier to find below the surface. Finding it is one thing on a side scan but using search methods taught make a huge difference to the success of finding things in Lough ree when you are dealing with very low visibility. It's even more difficult as you can't touch the bottom or it's a cloud of silt all around you similar to a pint of Guinness settling. So fair play to all the experienced lads that help increase the success rate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This is great news for a Saturday. Congrats/well done to all involved...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of all the long runner threads on the site, this is the one I most wanted to see a conclusion to, but also never thought we would.

My grandad had a commercial boatyard, much bigger vessels than this though (half decker trawlers), and I always want to try buy one back and try restore it, but I don't vaguely have the skills. So your works let me live vicariously to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Packrat

Wow, just found the thread and read it all over the last couple of hours.

Congratulations on finding her!

Can't wait to see her out.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

HURRAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Well, that's made my day! Absolutely brilliant, delighted for you Fergal.

Original post where she went down.

How will 7+years under water affect the boat?

Not knowing anything I'd imagine it'd be a write off.

Best of luck getting it to the surface, certainly will be following along.

😀

Just watched the video, by God it's pitch black down there. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jeepers, I cannot believe it's been 7 years 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Delighted for you to have found it Fergal,

I have regularly checked this thread for updates only to have my hopes dashed when new posts turned out to be someone asking if the was any update!

Best of luck with getting it recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Amazing news! I knew your persistence would pay off in the end. There were so many false dawns finding all the other submerged vessels that looked so like yours. Terrific work from the subaqua lads too. They really are highly skilled. How many other wrecks did you find in total? And is there any chance that there could be a mysterious locked safe under your boat to keep the suspense going?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That's incredible tbh, you'll be on tv for this when you get her home, I thought you hadn't a hope, congratulations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was just thinking, "How is it even possible that it's covered by so many shellfish after only a couple of years? The water must be very clean."... but 7 years?!? I'm gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭embraer170

Great news. I'm thrilled. Great work by all involved. Can't wait to read about how this continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Fantastic news Feargal, thought I saw a smile on your face when you passed me in Lakeside a week ago😀 I think I still have some electrical gubbins from my spare 5.7 in the shed. Maybe only a harness and and possibly a CDI unit. I’ve since used the spare starter on my Searaay 190 and I gave away the alternator, I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Was that your handy work with the power washer , might need you 😉 the mussels look so bad it will probably be a full rebuild so I shouldn't need anything just fix everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

I am totally amazed and happy with this news, i have followed this story from the beginning of the build

So happy for you Fergal

Onto the next chapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Wow! Amazing stuff. Congratulations and well done to all involved. I can’t believe I’ve been following this saga for 7 years. Roll on the next chapter.

Advertisement