Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

The fact you don’t see it is worrying. The cops shouldn’t have done it in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What was racist about the George Nchenko case?

He had assaulted a shop manager, threatened others with a knife, tried to go into a house where there was a barring order on him and then he threatened Gardai with a knife and tried to attack Gardai with a knife.

Are you suggesting he was only shot because he was black? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The insane OTT exaggerated mass hysteria about the U.S. cops and how they do their jobs puzzles me.

330 million people, likely 1000s of police incidents per day, millions per year, dealing with so many different types people, weapons, differences, ethnicities and so on..many many dangerous people and dangerous situations being faced day in day out, and people never think of all the good and proper and correct job they do.

No, certain incidents are taken and used to paint the whole system as bent, racist and unfit to serve..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suspect though the problem is with individual state forces rather than the entire 'US police force'. I bet if we drilled down into the statistics, we'd find that certain states (or perhaps even individual cities) have a much higher rate of police brutality than other states or cities. So, it's not necessarily a country wide problem.....but the police culture in certain states is probably a horrendous one. The way they interact with people is something you'd rarely see in Europe. Those guys on that video looked and sounded more like a bunch of vigilantes or members of a drugs gang rather than police officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

These 5 cops called themselves ‘the scorpions’ apparently. They were a rouge bunch of bad fu*kers who seemed to get off on violence. Poor Tyre was an unfortunate victim of these bloodthirsty monsters. If it wasn’t him that particular night it would likely have been someone else.

America really has to make an example of these 5 cops. They should never be released from prison imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,486 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The unit was called "Scorpion".

The whole department should be now open to a whole independent review with particular attention on what this unit did and what they were allowed do.

This is certainly not the first time this unit have dished out a punishment beating evidenced by the wanton disregard for human life and their actions throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I can't wait to attend the solidarity gatherings in our Irish towns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Watched the footage, just grim viewing ....worse than the George Floyd incident, this was pure torture of what appears to have been a man with no criminal record

But one gets a statue to remember him by purely based on race of the event

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's a horrendous watch but unfortunately too common in America,pure hate by a bunch of goons in uniform,

it wasn't race hate ,

Just pure hate and unnecessary violence for a traffic stop, they sit him up against a car and start fabricating their stories about him grabbing their guns and resisting arrest,

America needs a reset of all of their Police forces not defunding, complete resets and new oversights put in place and remove the need for grand jury's in cases of police brutality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Some campaigners and journalists are still claming that this was a racial incident even though the cops are all black ? Many others are saying that race needs to be kept out of this which I tend to agree with. It's police brutality in it's clearest form. There is no point in turning people against one another over this which is usually what happens in America.

Probably not the best comparison to be using but I can't help but wonder are we supposed to think of these 5 men as something similar to Samuel l Jackson horrible character in Djanjo Unchanged who berated, belittled and abused people of his own race to impress his white master. Boyz in the hood also touched on it as well with a black cop who clearly hates black people. If so it's sad that's it's really come to that and shows how screwed up America really is.

• Advertisement

Definitely worse imo. The outraged instant act of physical violence from the start makes this more harrowing. And you probably safely assume it's not the first time these lads done something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

Nah. Possibly one of them could be such a character, but five who work together, not a chance. We will find out a lot more about these guys in the next few days I suspect and there are angles we are not aware of yet.

Yeah now that the video has been put out next will probably be their service records and complaints ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Man this post took a twist for the worse just at the end. Can we not just say they were both unjustified horrendous acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭amacca

I keep thinking there has to be a lot more to it myself

They didn't just snap and out of the blue do that....there's probably a string of stuff we are not aware of....

Or there's some link and it's not just someone they hadn't previous with in some way....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Be right back

No, there's absolutely no excuse for what they did to Tyre. None. Any mention about the paramedics who did not seem to help him at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That poor man.

But what I still cant get over is what the hell these Cops were thinking.

" let's beat crap out of him, kill him even, it will be grand sure"

Did they think they were going to bed and get up next day and life would be normal again?

Maybe the knew not to get involved out of fear ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭amacca

Read the post...point out what part of it says there is any excuse...

Put it in quotation marks....

By saying they didn't just do it out of the blue I'm saying there may be a history of them operating outside of the law they are supposed to be upholding, maybe moonlighting as dealers/enforcers or as some sort of self appointed vigilantes or as a gang of thugs hiding behind authority etc etc...

By saying there's some link it doest mean I think they were justified in their actions....I just think its possible There could be a link...it seems odd to me they were so aggressive with him seemingly from the get go...I could be wrong but it doesn't mean in any way I think there's an excuse or it's justified.

I'm getting really **** tired of everything being polarised...no one can have an opinion or thought without being bracketed into a camp or a side now ffs

Everyone that asks a question or has a thought other than the ones you sanction isn't necessarily disagreeing with you, there might just be more than one way to interpret what they type.

Try looking before you leap on occasion, it might serve you well.

Maybe it's gotten to the point with police brutality that they can beat a person to death knowing that they are safe from any kind of prosecution or conviction,they will be backed to the hilt by their department,colluges and unions , they will be getting told that they have been fitted up and are fine outstanding people just trying to do their jobs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They were kicked out as far as I know, no word of criminal charges

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty open and shut case there. May be used as an excuse for why they were fired so quick. That's black and white (excuse the pun) textbook manslaughter, and upcoming evidence will see if that's murder (I don't get these degree things, murder is premediated, manslaughter isn't, easier). They beat him, over and over, for no reason, and now he's dead. Nothing could possibly excuse any of that. This appears to be a genuine 100% case of an innocent man being killed by cops. No grey area. RIP to the young man.

Now, it is telling that there hasn't been any riots, or at least nothing that I've seen reported. A guy (who looks white in the video) smashes a cruiser in NY and gets arrested, obviously, and the media nearly killing each other to record the arrest. Protestors in LA are audibly shouting to kill the cops and don't care if there are non-racists in the police, they're all the same. But no riots.

I think the people calling out the reaction to Floyd vs this are right to call it out. The reactions are so different. Still early so time will tell. Take down the Floyd statue, put up one of Tyre instead. And that's about all that can be said at this stage. We need more information and the trials will be interesting, if covered...

The George Floyd killing had nothing on this, as bad as that was. The cruelty and wanton disregard for a human being in this case is chilling to the bone. I'm sorry I watched the video now and I think there should be serious questions asked of others in the video not just the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's what I always think when you see those clips of people kicking ppl in the head with the victim laying on the ground. I mean do they think they are just inflicting some temporary pain but you know no real damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Plus, cops are most likely wearing steel toecaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Honesty Policy

It definitely seems like there was something personal going on here. Especially if they were 'rehabilitated' gang members who joined the police force.

What a horrific and brutal murder, the worse I have ever seen by people who are supposedly there to protect us.

But a balance is needed. Cops need to be very firm, but not brutal.

Yes, but you can’t have brutality. I have no issue with cops needing to be tough and firm.

And yes, big issue today is society slating and criticising and condemning good police officers who are doing good jobs due to certain sections of society ready to shout brutality over any kind of physicality that cops use..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they were ex gang members it explains a lot.

The Scorpion unit was targeting Street crime in areas of high criminality.

High crime in Memphis and such areas would be considered low level civil war in most of the world. Memphis has a significant gang problem and a culture of glorified criminality like most urban African American areas.

What we see from this is a further reduction of police in these communities.

It's a downward spiral, the response to this should be better police training, more police, stricter day to day policing, instead the activists will force police out, the activists will go to their White suburbs and the community will have no protection.

• Advertisement

If these cops were x gang members then there is something seriously wrong that they are then allowed enter into the police force!!

Advertisement